samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

Planned trip Dec-Feb

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #1
So, pulled the trigger and bought one way ferry tickets Dublin-Holyhead-Harwich-Hook of Holland for 26-27th Dec. I have been working from home full time since March and enough doom and gloom I say. We still don't have even a tentative date for the return to the office so now it's a good time to do something drastic.

The plan is to drive to back home in Finland as quickly as possible (not via Sweden), then self isolate in an airbnb apartment for the required 10 days after arrival to Helsinki. Haven't seen my parents since summer 2018 and none of us are getting any younger. Also our daughter will relocate to Finland to study in January so we can transport her luggage at the same time.

The planned route goes through Netherlands-Germany-Poland-Lithuania-Latvia-Estonia-ferry to Helsinki. Apart from diesel stops and sleeping we are planning to stop once for a large food shop perhaps in Germany to stock up for food for the rest of the outward journey and the "quarantine". After the initial 10 days the plans are totally open and we'll do whatever feels the right thing to do. Perhaps drive to Lapland for skiing or whatever. That is if we will actually be able to drive all the way to Finland in the first place. The plan B is to head south to Greece and work remotely from there. Bring the bicycles for exercise. Go with the flow.

Will worry about return to Ireland later on. Sounds good to me but many thing will be out of our control. We figured that the camper van is pretty ideal largely self contained bubble in the world of Covid-19. Looking out the window and seeing the van parked on the drive fills me with optimism that something interesting if finally about to happen in 2020.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Planned trip Dec-Feb

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #2
Think I'd head north where you know the language and what's going on locally and can get mammy to wash and iron your clothes, go back to your student days 😁😁
Bringing your daughters stuff would be an added bonus,,, Good luck

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #3
Sounds very exciting...You should definitely have a white xmas!........The plan B sounds very tempting too ^_^

samih
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #4
Wonder what traveling through UK will be like on 26th/27th? It'll be quite near the end of the transition period that time so might be rather busy at Harwich.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #5
Why don't you want to pass through Sweden by crossing from Germany (Sassnitz for example) ?
Or ferry directly from Travemunde to Helsinki ?

In this period of pandemic and rules that change almost every day consider that the higher the number of borders crossed, the more likely you are to encounter problems (quarantines, etc.).

Max

samih
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #6
The Travemunde-Helsinki is actually a great idea. The ferry takes about about 30 hours to cross to Finland.

Marzypan
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #7
I am green with envy listening to your plans. I hope you have a wonderful trip and be safe. Cannot wait to get going
in our camper again, enjoy your freedom.

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #8
Lost in Europe on YouTube did something like that 2 weeks ago up into Sweden

samih
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #9
Have to check that out. Cheers!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.