TV

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

TV

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #1
I have a road pro sat dome year 2016 on the roof and an old sky minibox connected to a cello tv which has limited stations no card no irish stations and as i am using the camper much more now i would like to upgrade to all stations what are my options any advice please

Liked by: sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: TV

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #2
If in ROI you need a sat/saorview Combi box ,if in NI you only need a sat receiver box

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

TV

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #3
Does that require an aerial

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #4
Have you a sky subscription for home, if so just put your house card in the mh box and you can receive the same stations as at home

Liked by: eirebus

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #5
Quote by paddyx

Does that require an aerial

Saorview does

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

Have you a sky subscription for home, if so just put your house card in the mh box and you can receive the same stations as at home

The cards are locked to the box now, so you would need to contact sky to add the second box to the card. They will do it, but it can be a bit of an ordeal. The alternative is to take your house sky box with you. Then it will work seamlessly

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

TV

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #7
I dont have sky at all the mini box was in the van when i bought it and there was no card in it so i was just getting a few stations on it the go pro sat is pretty new so i was hoping i could get saorview would work through that

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by baguette

The cards are locked to the box now, so you would need to contact sky to add the second box to the card. They will do it, but it can be a bit of an ordeal. The alternative is to take your house sky box with you. Then it will work seamlessly

Only premium packages (sports and movies) are locked.
There is a simple procedure on the sky website to change the card between boxes if necessary

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #9
We have the Cello Traveller with built-in Freeview connected to our sat dish, also recently fitted the flying saucer type antenna connected to the co-ax socket in the Cello.
Now we have all the Irish channels and radio stations, all the UK stations (bbc, itv etc etc) plus loads of others, including sky news.
No other sky channels, but plenty of other options when we watch.
And all free......

Liked by: baguette, GMAC, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by baguette

Only premium packages (sports and movies) are locked.
There is a simple procedure on the sky website to change the card between boxes if necessary

Are there other channels besides sports and movies 🤔😂

Liked by: sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2020  ·  #11
Quote by paddyx

I dont have sky at all the mini box was in the van when i bought it and there was no card in it so i was just getting a few stations on it the go pro sat is pretty new so i was hoping i could get saorview would work through that

There is some sort of sat for saorview but you would have to go to their website and see what is needed , I have 2 separate systems 1 sat and an aerial for saorview , modern technology it's great 😠😠

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2020  ·  #12
I have itv3 and about six other stations i will have to get someone to check what i need and install what is needed thanks for the advice

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2020  ·  #13
Get a dual decoder box, will give you all the free to air sat channels and will decode saorview. Connect to sat. dish and aerial.

Liked by: CHAUSSON

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

TV

· 
Posted: 27.09.2020  ·  #14
I have a walker WP12DTB-R digital terrestrial receiver saorview approved that i forgot i had bought Some time ago would this require a second aerial

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2020  ·  #15
Quote by paddyx

I have a walker WP12DTB-R digital terrestrial receiver saorview approved that i forgot i had bought Some time ago would this require a second aerial

Yes I don't think there's any way around getting an aerial

paddyx
Craic Addict
Subject:

TV

· 
Posted: 27.09.2020  ·  #16
Thanks👍

BigMal
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2020  ·  #17
We recently bought a smart TV for the van and watch everything through the internet using our phones as a hot spot. Our phone deals are £20 unlimited data so basically costs us nothing and no cables no dishes etc. Obviously internet reception can be an issue but as that improves around the country this looks like the future to me.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2020  ·  #18
Quote by BigMal

We recently bought a smart TV for the van and watch everything through the internet using our phones as a hot spot. Our phone deals are £20 unlimited data so basically costs us nothing and no cables no dishes etc. Obviously internet reception can be an issue but as that improves around the country this looks like the future to me.

A word of warning regarding hotspot viewing....be very careful if you have a data limit on your plan. Apparently using a phone as a hotspot eats up data. Checking what you have left in your monthly plan isn't always an accurate figure. We fell foul of Tesco Mobile recently, going about three minutes over our data limit. The next bill showed thirty-seven euro in excess charges! We've now switched to GoMo btw (once bitten etc)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Reply on TV

· 
Posted: 28.09.2020  ·  #19
Quote by tony glenn

Quote by BigMal

A word of warning regarding hotspot viewing....be very careful if you have a data limit on your plan. Apparently using a phone as a hotspot eats up data. Checking what you have left in your monthly plan isn't always an accurate figure. We fell foul of Tesco Mobile recently, going about three minutes over our data limit. The next bill showed thirty-seven euro in excess charges! We've now switched to GoMo btw (once bitten etc)

Also when the.y say unlimited it is a scam there always is a limit., and don't rely on using a mobile, to Hotspot if it is on or using the Eircom network, Vodafone is not great either. You would be lucky if you can get 2G

Liked by: tony glenn

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2020  ·  #20
Quote by BigMal

Can I ask which Smart TV you opted for. On @Gavster ‘s recommendation I bought the Apple hdmi connector. Download what we want from Netflix before we go. Also works with iPlayer but some issues with Prime (one movie played ,the other didn't). Could also stream from the iPhone but we need a better data plan at some point.

BigMal
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2020  ·  #21
We got a bush 24in TV/DVD combi from argos £159.99. and it works a treat.I suspect a lot cheaper than a satellite system. Certainly we have found unlimited means unlimited data wise and we both have 20gb free per month if we are out of UK and anywhere in Europe and again have found that to be correct .

The only issue we have found is lack of reception in certain places but that is improving all the time across the country.

Our previous Tv was a 12/240v but not smart so I also got a mini inverter for £28 off Amazon so when we aren't plugged in that does the job.

Liked by: Mark&Wendy

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2020  ·  #22
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.