CBE 300 solar controller working or not

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #1
Hi all .
Do u any of u folks have the same solar system one panel on roof with cbe controller.
My controller is located in a cupboard in bathroom facing in such a way it’s hard to see it .
I used to see an orange light on it but now I see nothing
Can it be reset or started or tested ,I can’t seem to see any on off switch or button to press .
Any ideas help etc
Rgds
Smc

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: CBE 300 solar controller working or not

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #2
Do you have any photes,have you checked inline fuse.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #3
Put a tester on it to see if power is coming out check the fuse funny place to have the controller any steam wouldn’t help it

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #4
Ok p

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #5
Tried to up load photo not allowed .
Google CBE 300 Controller

Ken it’s crazy place to a controller after market fit with a crazy dealer like most of the stuff he fitte

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #6
If it’s working surely there is a light or some Indication , is this not the case on all controllers Otherwise how u know it’s even on .
If I knew how to put a tester on it I would but I don’t ,I’m sure u have to take it apart or some such thing .

I’m now considering the fact that the dealer may never have connected it to the batteries as there so mad .
Should I be able to see a cable from the batteries heading back towards the controller.
Rgds

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2020  ·  #7
Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #8
I have the CBE 240. Looks exactly the same. There should be an orange light when charging and green if floating.

If you remove the cover there is a fuse which would be worth checking.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #9
@Erazmus that’s is it exactly right .
I did used to see and orange light on but hardly ever looked as almost impossible to see it because location now there is no light .
I will try taking off the cover and see if I can find the fuse ,any idea what type fuse I’m looking for ,blade type or small cylinder type ,I assume it’s a low amp
Thank u

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #10
Probably a 20 A fuse

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #11
20A Blade fuse.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #12
I’m going to attempt to remove the front of the controller tomorrow and see how I get on

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

CBE solar

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #13
I removed cover today ur right 20am p fuse but it was not blown,I replaced it anyway but still no lights come on
I did see inside the controller a switch beside the fuse but I turned it up and down nothing happened.
I did read on CBE installation guide that that the system turns off if no sunlight or at least that’s what I think it meant which sounds odd
There no mention of the switch I seen or what it does or how to turn it on or off .

Any ideas please

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #14
As far as I know the switch is to select for different types of batteries.

Could you check at the battery input to see if you have 12V from leisure battery. If no voltage present here, there maybe a fuse fitted close to the leisure battery which has blown.

Other than that it is possible that the unit is faulty.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Erazmus

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #15
Tomorrow I check for a fuse near the batteries see if that’s problem.
Ur right the switch is for different type batteries .

I still can’t figure it saying in manual that system shuts down if no sunlight ,I can’t seem to understand that or is it that it means it stops working and then starts again whe sunlight appears .
If it shuts down like it’s saying surely u need to start it again but it’s been as far as I know working for past 3 years

Thank u
Smc

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #16
I don’t know the system, but I’d say that’s exactly what it means. It just works when it detects daylight, and shuts down at night. Sometimes the translation don’t be marvellous with these manuals

Liked by: eirebus

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #17
Have you checked that the solar panel is not damaged and that it is clean,

Check the wires coming from the panel especially the round plugs as they are known for giving trouble, if you are not getting any power from the panels with a multi meter check at the plugs up on the roof to rule them out

Liked by: eirebus

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #18
Quote by irishpatrick49

Tomorrow I check for a fuse near the batteries see if that’s problem.
Ur right the switch is for different type batteries .

I still can’t figure it saying in manual that system shuts down if no sunlight ,I can’t seem to understand that or is it that it means it stops working and then starts again whe sunlight appears .
If it shuts down like it’s saying surely u need to start it again but it’s been as far as I know working for past 3 years

Thank u
Smc

All I have ever seen on the CBE 240 is the orange Led when charging and the green when the Leisure battery is charged.
The 300 could be slightly different.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #19
I tried to get at the batteries yesterday under the bench seat ,when I removed the seating I see a box with all the fuses in it and it’s screwed on to a wooden badly made shelf that covers over the batteries and also screwed to the shelf is the invertor .
The dealer obviously made this shelf to Make space to fit second leisure battery ,I have unscrewed the fuse box but it can’t be moved much because all the wires are short because of the repositioning of the fuse box on the shelf , I also removed the invertor .
To remove the shelf is going to be bit more tricky as it’s glued and screwed and in tight space.
I m going to tackle today to see if I can manage the remove it to see the batteries and check for a fuse near the batteries .

Is there a way to know if the CBE wiring is connected to the batteries?
Thanks

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #20
I would disconnect the 12V battery input at the controller and check for voltage. If you have 12V across the cables then your connection to battery is o.k.
If no voltage present then you will need to find where the connection to battery is. This could be at the battery or perhaps the 12V Board.

Liked by: +deleted user

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #21
What sort of a meter will I need to check the voltage at the controller ,I better buy one .
Inside the controller there is 3 different yellow coloured connectors,like push on type connectors.
I’m assuming I must use the meter on.2 of those connectors but which 2 .
Unfortunately for me I’m not in irl so finding.someone to help is difficult language location etc
Thanks for helping

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #22
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #23
A multimeter is what you are looking for. Any cheap one will do for that just make sure the voltage range goes from 12 volts, or lower preferably, most do to over 240 volts. Check each cable with one lead connected to earth and the other on the cable.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #24
I’m in Portugal.

I get a cheap meter tomorrow and see if I’m getting power at the controller.
Thanku

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #25
Any cheap multimeter will do.
From left to right as you look at the controller.....the 1st 2 connections are the battery connections. You need to disconnect the cables and check across them with the meter. If there is 12V here then your connection to the battery is o.k.

With the 1st 2 cables still disconnected check across the 1st 2 terminals and you should have 12V if the solar panels are in sunlight and are o.k.

The next 2 connections is the input from solar panel one. You should have approx. 17V here if the panel is in sunlight.

The last 2 connections is for solar panel 2. if you have 2 solar panels you should also have approx. 17V here.

If you have 17V input on the solar terminals and nothing on the 1st 2 terminals ( Battery output) then I would say the controller is faulty.

If you are not getting 17V on the 3 & 4th or 5th & 6th terminals (solar inputs) then you have a problem with the solar panel or panels.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2020  ·  #26
Quote by irishpatrick49

I’m in Portugal.

I get a cheap meter tomorrow and see if I’m getting power at the controller.
Thanku

Are you still in Almancil

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2020  ·  #27
Hi ken still Almancil

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #28
You're there a while now
I will definitely call over to you im back in 2 weeks

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Erasmus re CBE controller

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #29
I read ur very precise instructions Thanks for the detail.
I must have a different controller as I see 4 connections to the controller red black red black ,covered in yellow sleeves position on the far right side of the the controller as u look front on at the controller.
In ur description u speak of 6 connections or am I misinterpreted what ur explaining as I’m quite slow on such matters .

I have photos of all just waiting on them to be posted on here .
Bought a new multimeter also but manual is not in English so lost again on how to use it as it has 4 ports and a lot of different settings on the main dial ,it’s digital readout display with 2 probes to connect black and red
It’s a 9965 ( DT9205A ) multimetro Digital made by silver Santz S.A..
When u see photos perhaps it will be clearer
Thanks again

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #30
I’m not familiar with the panel. Re the multimeter. One lead into common other into port backed with omega symbol as in for ohms. Set dial to ohms, omega symbol. Touch probes together you should get a reading of 0 and perhaps a beeping sound. When probes are not touching you should have 1 or OL for over limit. Set the the dial to say 20 volts and when you put probes, one on each side of battery you should get 12 to 13 volts if leads are wrong way around you will get - 12 or 13 volts. Probably 12.6 or 7 if battery is fully charged. Red lead to positive and black to negative

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #31
Quote by irishpatrick49

I read ur very precise instructions Thanks for the detail.
I must have a different controller as I see 4 connections to the controller red black red black ,covered in yellow sleeves position on the far right side of the the controller as u look front on at the controller.
In ur description u speak of 6 connections or am I misinterpreted what ur explaining as I’m quite slow on such matters .

I have photos of all just waiting on them to be posted on here .
Bought a new multimeter also but manual is not in English so lost again on how to use it as it has 4 ports and a lot of different settings on the main dial ,it’s digital readout display with 2 probes to connect black and red
It’s a 9965 ( DT9205A ) multimetro Digital made by silver Santz S.A..
When u see photos perhaps it will be clearer
Thanks again

Yes. I believe I said in an earlier post than my controller was the 240. However when you look up the CBE300 it shows 6 connections.
If there is only 4 connections on yours, there is probably 2 for the battery input and 2 for the solar input. If you look closely they should be marked somewhere on the controller.
If you check with the meter as I detailed earlier just ignore the 5th & 6th connections.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #32
On the bottom right side of the meter you bought....you can see a yellow V with a line and a dotted line above it. Turn the selector switch to the 20 number which is shown between 200m & 1000. This will give you a 0 - 20 Volt DC range.

Hope this is of some help.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2020  ·  #33
Paddy emailed those to me of his setup.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2020  ·  #34
The controller you have is a PRS 240 not a 300. There are 6 connections but the 5th & 6th are not used. These are for a 2nd solar panel. The connections are spade type which just push on.
The meter you have looks different than what showed up when I googled it before the photos displayed. The setting you need is towards the top right. It shows a white V with a line and a dotted line above it. Turn the dial to 20 which will give you 0 to 20 DC voltage range.
Take note of the terminals each cable goes into before you remove them as they have to go back into the same ones.
Remove the 1st two on the left by pulling them downwards. Check across the cables first and it should read approx 11.7V to 12.9V. If you have no voltage here you have no connection to the battery.
Before you refit the cables, check across the 1st two terminals. If the solar panel is in sunlight this should read approx 12V. If you have no voltage here remove the cables on the 3rd & 4th connections. Check across the Cables and you should get approx 17V. If you have no voltage across these cables and the solar panel is in sunlight, then the solar panel is your problem.
If you have 17V coming in on the solar and no output on the 1st two terminals and the internal fuse is o.k. then I would say the controller is goosed.

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2020  ·  #35
Quote by irishpatrick49

If it’s working surely there is a light or some Indication , is this not the case on all controllers Otherwise how u know it’s even on .
If I knew how to put a tester on it I would but I don’t ,I’m sure u have to take it apart or some such thing .

I’m now considering the fact that the dealer may never have connected it to the batteries as there so mad .
Should I be able to see a cable from the batteries heading back towards the controller.
Rgds

This is how it should be wired.
Regulator Solar CBE Prs 240 Pwm 2 X 120W 12v Panel Plate Motorhome PRS240
You are also showing an inline fuse on the brown wire at the battery ( the black item ) is that the same colour coming from the controller and is the fuse ok.

Liked by: Ally

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

CBE 240 solar controller

· 
Posted: 21.09.2020  ·  #36
Erazmus .
No sun today so far I’m going to do the test as ur detail suggested.
After removing the connectors a black and a red I attach the black and red probes to the appropriate colours with the meter dial on 20 towards rh side
Will let u know the outcome.

I did take few more photos yesterday of the inside of the the controller as I removed it from inside the locker to get a better look at it and sent on to be posted but I don’t want to be a pest either as I got a lot help on here from u guys thanks

I did find a 30 amp fuse near the battery the only one I could see ,removed it and it looks ok not blown .There is so many wires and connectors in that battery area and it’s tight space ,it all looks very messy badly arranged,way beyond my capabilities.

Sprinter
Thanks for diagram And proper way it should be wired

I wanted to get to the roof to see if nothing obvious disconnected or broken ,was promised a ladder yesterday but didn’t show up maybe today.
We had quite bit heavy rain past few days overcast today
To be continued

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

CBE controller multi meter readings

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #37
I took readings today with multi meter set @ 20
Disconnected the 4 connections from the controller red black red black
On the top two connectors I inserted red probe to red black probe to black reading 7.59
I did same on the controller connection reading 0000.

Bottom two connector cables I did same reading 12.79
Bottom 2 controller connector did same reading 0000.

There is also 2 spare connectors on the top above the existing connections on the contrary I tested them also Reading 0000

Don’t know what that’s telling me if u can help please .
Reds

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #38
I don’t know which you mean by top two and bottom two connectors. 12.79 sounds like the battery. According to Sprinters drawing they would be on the left of the picture you sent. 7.59 coming from the panels does not sound right though. Either a bad connection or the panel is not producing enough power to initiate the controller. If the 7.59 is on the battery side, the battery is gone, but then you would have no 12 volt power in the Motorhome

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #39
I agree with Daffy.
I assume by what you are saying that you must be looking at the controller held sideways. The connections are horizontal as shown in the diagram by sprinter so top to bottom would depend on how you held the controller.
The 12.79 seems to be your connection to the battery, so that seems o.k.
The 7.59 seems to be the input from the panel. If the solar panel is in good sunlight this should be closer to 17. It is my understanding that with a PWM Controller, as the 240 is, the panel will only supply a charge provided that the panel voltage remains above the battery voltage.
At this input voltage you will get no charge to your battery.
You should check the cabling between the Panel and the controller for a possibly bad or corroded connection. At low voltage all your connections need to be good or you can get voltage drops.

Liked by: sprinter

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2020  ·  #40
My description is probably poor on top to bottom sorry

I’m referring to the top as being beside the 2 spare unused connections, underneath thos spare connections is the 4 existing connected yellow sleeved push on connectors.

Ok it appears from ur expert advice that the battery to the controller is ok @12.79 but the input from the the solar to the controller is too low @ 7.59

Also please note that no lights appear on On the front of the controller at any time .

I think then as u advice I must head on to the roof to see the connections up there .
I know from washing the roof the panel is glued flat to the roof with the cables encased in plastic square trunking with a lot of mastic or sealer at the point where the cables are connected to the panel. I’m a right to say I must remove this sealant together with the trunking to determine if connection is good
I’m also assuming it’s a plug in type or can it be different .
Thanks all great help
Rgds

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.