Downplating to 3500kg

Craic'er
Subject:

Downplating to 3500kg

· 
Posted: 14.09.2020  ·  #1
I am currently downplating an registered campervan from 4000kg to 3500kg in order to be able to drive with a B license.I am resident in the Republic. I am using the services of SV tech for the issuing of a new VIN plate. It was originally a minibus and weighs in at 2800kg unladen so I have enough payload to spare.
My question is do SV tech fill out the modifications report for the RSA or do I need to pay somebody else here to sign off that.I tried to get the new plate off of the manufacturer here but hit a brick wall.
Has anybody here completed the process here in Ireland. When I get the new VIN plate do I go to a CVRT centre or a motortax office.What other certificate s with be required.I have e mailed the DVCSD asking of their requirements and received a generic reply back telling me if I wanted to tax a car to go online or visit your nearest car tax office.
Has anybody got the experience of completing post SV Tech.
I did this process once before but in UK so had the V5C with the reduced weighs before re- registration here.

Liked by: Ally

Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Downplating to 3500kg

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #2
Unfortunately there is no written procedure within 'the system' to cover this.
The only way forward is to get the downplating done, keep the certificate from SV Tech safe for future reference and stick on the new plate next to the old one.
At the next test the tester will change the weight on the CoVIS system to the new weight, the SVTech cert is recognised by the RSA.
Persistent contact with the motor tax crowd with a photo of the new plate in place and a copy of the SVTech cert should eventually get you a new Registration Certificate showing the new GVW.
It is doable, I have friends who have both up and down plated but be prepared for a lot of ignorance about the process amongst the 'officials' you will meet along the way.
Good luck

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, GMAC, sprinter

Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #3
Thanks Baguette, That is what I half expect to be the avenue I have to follow.There is currently a full HGV CVRT on the vehicle.I guess I will have to complete a new test for a LGV once I make the change. I will have great Craic explaining all about SV Tech unless I meat somebody familiar with the process.I will keep an update how I get on to let anybody interested a chance to be aware of the process.😀

Liked by: Daffysparks, eirebus

Craic Lifer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #4
Quote by roadwretch

.There is currently a full HGV CVRT on the vehicle.I guess I will have to complete a new test for a LGV once I make the change.

There is no need for a new test as there will have been no modifications to the vehicle. Once you have the certificate and plate showing the 3,500kg GVW you are good to go with a B licence

Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #5
Problem is insurance company are looking for a copy of VRC with the down graded weight before they will insure.I will have to see will they be happy with SV Tech cert. Will Guards go by VRC or plate if checking for suitability to licence

Craic Lifer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #6
Quote by roadwretch

Problem is insurance company are looking for a copy of VRC with the down graded weight before they will insure.I will have to see will they be happy with SV Tech cert. Will Guards go by VRC or plate if checking for suitability to licence

The Irish VRC is mostly a work of fiction :( most/a lot of VRC's have the GVW recorded as 1 so it might not be very helpful to your insurance company in that respect, what does yours say.
It's the VIN Plate information which trumps all.

Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #7
My VRC says 4000kg. That is because it was originally a coach built minibus , probably a 16 seater so must have had some heavy seats installed and allowance for passengers. Hopefully they will accept the new weight plate.I feel I will have to jump a few hurdles before I get the details recorded on the VRC.
SV Techs charge for this service is £120.
They are very efficient and helpfull but say they cannot fill out the RSA modification report. I hope that they will not push for this report as it needs other SQI signatures who are registered with them.I didn't need to do any mods so hopefully SV techs documents will do.Wish me luck.I think the RSA should update information concerning the up paying and downplating requirements and list all acceptable suppliers for the service.
Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for the advice

Craic Lifer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #8
If there are no modifications carried out in connection with the down rating there is no modifications report to be filled out.
A friend of mine got his Mercedes Sprinter based motorhome uprated from 3,880kg to 4,100kg by SVTech with no modifications and got the vehicle records updated without having to complete the modifications report.

Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2020  ·  #9
That's good to hear.I reckon it is up to the CVRT centre to update the new weight on the system since they seem to have the access to it. Once it is on the system the VRC should be able to go to Shannon and be returned with what is up on the system.
In theory anyway.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.