Data roaming best deals

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Data roaming best deals

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #1
Can any of u experts advise on the best deal on data especially when abroad a lot as I like to stream movies documentaries etc
Rgds
Smc

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Data roaming best deals

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #2
Quote by irishpatrick49

Can any of u experts advise on the best deal on data especially when abroad a lot as I like to stream movies documentaries etc
Rgds
Smc

That's something that keeps changing and depends if you're in NI or ROI and how much you're going to use , just keep watching the various providers for deal's that suit you

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #3
ROI or NI? How do you usually travel for? What device are you using to watch content on, do you need to tether or use the SIM in a modem?

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Data roaming

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #4
I am abroad usually France spain Portugal Belgium Netherlands etc ,i use a Samsung phone tethering on to my I pad to watch Netflix etc .
What I am really looking for is is unlimited data that works in all countries .

I can’t be bothered with running out of data when I need it it’s pain as I tend to park wherever it suits me best ,campsite wifi is usually not suitable or u have to park near reception or other such inconveniences.

There must be a company in some country unlikely to be roi that provide such a service
Such as if ur low in data they will top u up obviously at a cost but if it works well and provides the speeds required that’s the only thing I’m interested in

I like to keep stuff simple as possible not been too technical a person .
If someone can point me in that direction it would be great
Thanks all
Rgds
Smc

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #5
might be an idea to bring an external hard drive ,up to 3 tb available ,but you will get loads of films ect on it ,plus you can you your wifi at home to download it and keep your phone allowance for when you need it :)

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #6
Vodafone allow you to use the full data allowance when roaming but I think their unlimited data plans throttle speeds at 10mb/s download. All other operators have a roaming data cap. Is it an option to use a local SIM while travelling?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #7
AFAIK all networks which offer 'unlimited' data have caps when roaming, some as low as 12gb.
I think the best option is something like this and a local pre-pay unlimited data sim only deal like this

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Data roaming

· 
Posted: 08.09.2020  ·  #8
Thanks for all the advice Guys
This DWR gadget ,am I right in saying it will access other wifi systems it can find close by but I am assuming it must be an unlocked wifi or is it any wifi system ? I imagine it would be difficult to find an unlocked system these days except a McDonald’s or such like which would have poor speeds

The Spanish sim seems good type of plan but it’s just in Spain it works as far as I can see on there website.
Buying a sim in every country just isn’t practical option or if even u know ur buying the right sim or if I would work and if it didn’t u have go back to where u purchased it ,I tend to avoid city centers in mh which most here I’m sure understand where phone shops tend to set up shop, so just not wort hassle.

The external hard drive, option ,does that mean I can download anything that is allowed to be downloaded but can I download from my I pad to this hard drive by simply plugging it in or is it more complicated.

It would appear that the mobile companies don’t exactly follow the the rules as I understand there not supposed to charge for roaming anymore but restrictive or capping what u can use is the same thing so ur been charged more if u go over the capped limit or simply cut u off ,I don’t know which happens but either way sounds like a con job .
That’s my take on matters.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #9
Quote by irishpatrick49

Thanks for all the advice Guys
This DWR gadget ,am I right in saying it will access other wifi systems it can find close by but I am assuming it must be an unlocked wifi or is it any wifi system ? I imagine it would be difficult to find an unlocked system these days except a McDonald’s or such like which would have poor speeds

The Spanish sim seems good type of plan but it’s just in Spain it works as far as I can see on there website.
Buying a sim in every country just isn’t practical option or if even u know ur buying the right sim or if I would work and if it didn’t u have go back to where u purchased it ,I tend to avoid city centers in mh which most here I’m sure understand where phone shops tend to set up shop, so just not wort hassle.

The external hard drive, option ,does that mean I can download anything that is allowed to be downloaded but can I download from my I pad to this hard drive by simply plugging it in or is it more complicated.

It would appear that the mobile companies don’t exactly follow the the rules as I understand there not supposed to charge for roaming anymore but restrictive or capping what u can use is the same thing so ur been charged more if u go over the capped limit or simply cut u off ,I don’t know which happens but either way sounds like a con job .
That’s my take on matters.

The DWR unit uses mobile data not WiFi and is unlocked so it takes a sim from any network.
The Spanish sim example is an Internet purchase, I'm sure suitable sims can be easily got in other countries.
I have a similar router which, when I used to use it prior to free roaming, I left permanently connection to its charger and connected our phones, tablet and laptop to it via WiFi . At the time I used it in Spain with a Spanish Vodafone data only sim.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #10
Moivstar Spain says "All your allowances can be used at domestic Spanish rates in the EU/EEA without surcharges."

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #11
DWR is data I understand now so u purchase SIM card with data off u go ,u can then connect different devices to it .

The other difficulties I have is I can’t know when data is low or even how to count data use
For example a I hour documentary streamed how much data used ,I have no idea .
Data is measured in giga bites or something else what is that and is a different measurement for all the companies giga bit is it a standard measurement like liter of fuel and who checks these people on what ur usage ,so everyone takes the mobile company word on usage and accepts there honest .which clearly there not ,most likely they do the usual thing can’t get through to check no answers fill out form charge u to call them effectively blocking u from answers but no problems if ur buying fast efficient.

Movistar spain sounds like my kinda thing I must check it out

Great info thanks to all

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #12
I have sims with Smarty and Plusnet, quite simple to create an account and see at a glance how much data you have left/used

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.