<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Phone / Device Charging

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #1
I had a 12v cigarette lighter type charger blow a fuse on me at the weekend. The fuse was on the main habitation control board, thankfully I was aware of its location. Power to the main roof light is provided through the same fuse so I could have been in a bit of a bind if I didn't have a spare fuse or in fact know where to look for the blown fuse. It got me thinking that there must be a better way to manage charging of devices. I'm thinking a dedicated circuit from the battery, hardwired, switched and fused.

This morning I've ordered a pack of these

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/…UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to 3D Print a housing for the boards including the switch and fuse so it will be a case of cables to the battery from there.

I'll keep you posted

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

Re: Phone / Device Charging

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #2
A high capacity usb power bank for charging mobiles is always a good back up. Means I can thrown my phone in my bag and charge it out and about too. Also useful for running a mini usb fan as you can move it around the van to where you are eating, sleeping etc without extended 12v leads running round the van.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #3
Quote by gavster1

A high capacity usb power bank for charging mobiles is always a good back up. Means I can thrown my phone in my bag and charge it out and about too. Also useful for running a mini usb fan as you can move it around the van to where you are eating, sleeping etc without extended 12v leads running round the van.

I have two 20,000mAH packs but they need recharging too. We've just finished a 2 week staycation without any EHU. Two adults and three kids create a lot of charging demand.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #4
I was thinking about all the hassle of charging devices and all the cables and battery chargers that also need to be charged and all the devices competing for a 12volt socket in the habitation area. It’s a nightmare. I’d like to build a cradle of some description that can hold and simultaneously charge up to 3 phones as well as portable chargers and is just always plugged in.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #5
The mix of phones, charging blocks, tablets and Nintendo Switch for me means that trying to make it a holder is probably a fools errand. A silicone mat to lay devices on while charging is a better universal solution. Since I'm going down this road at all, I've also ordered a pack of boost converters that take a micro USB input too

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/…UTF8&psc=1

and I'm going to wire up some leads that will allow the 12v TV run off a USB charging block and also an 18v charging lead for my laptop. Inverters are a mugs game when you're converting back to DC.

Liked by: The Rambler

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #6
I connected a fused distribution block to the battery and used that to grab power

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk…6-way.html

Here is a switched USB power supply that can be turned on even if the hab electrics are turned off(ie while travelling)

And here is a permanently wired 300W inverter that can be switched on at any stage. Everything is wired back to the distribution block and fused separately on that. I agree with the previous poster that it's a mug's game to go from 12 to 240 and down to whatever but the flexibility of a standard 240V socket is great. I try to keep everything on 12V or less.

I like installing switches as even low current draw overwinter will pull a battery down

Liked by: panda, The Rambler

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #7
Quote by insider

I connected a fused distribution block to the battery and used that to grab power

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk…6-way.html

Here is a switched USB power supply that can be turned on even if the hab electrics are turned off(ie while travelling)

And here is a permanently wired 300W inverter that can be switched on at any stage. Everything is wired back to the distribution block and fused separately on that.

I like installing switches as even low current draw overwinter will pull a battery down

That's a tidy fit alright. I've ordered the boards and captured the basic form in CAD now so going to keep with the initial plan of a custom enclosure, should get the design finished later today. The boards have a full range of fast charging protocols too which is important for us.

There are 6 boards in the pack each supporting a single charger so it's going to be 3 twin units, one wired from the starter battery and mounted in the cab. One for the dinette area, wired directly to the leisure battery and a third at the rear bed wired to the leisure battery again. Individual switches for each port.

Liked by: panda, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.