Camper rear suspension (air v springs)

Sprocket
Subject:

Camper rear suspension (air v springs)

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #1
Good morning,

The air suspension (rear only) in our Renault Master camper conversion is old (about 20 years) and is starting to give problems.

Given it's age, parts are hard to source and if found can be quite expensive.

We are now considering moving away from the air suspension system and replacing it with up-rated leaf springs, as we just want something simple and reliable.

Has anyone got any information or advice on this, from researching online, it appears that a fully loaded camper would require heavy duty (up-rated) leaf springs, or would standard springs do?

Thanks in advance for any help

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Re: Camper rear suspension (air v springs)

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #2
Don’t know much about springs but we fitted air suspension to our van and found it a lot better especially in corners also our van is 7 meters and I have a lot in the garage I can adjust the hight I personally stick with the air suspension

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #3
There is an Italian company that makes air springs for a whole lot of van's for €319+ postage.
You could just replace the whole system with a new one for that price and retain the benefits of air springs?
https://www.sospensionieasytop…no-al-2010

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #4
When you say problems, what problems are you having?

Air bags pipe & fittings are easily got in commercial truck spare suppliers

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #5
Thanks Bounder for the link, will look at that.

Mad Max... first of all we had an air leak in one of the lines which we fixed, then we had power issues to the compressor and now it seems like one of the airbags is on the way out.

I could spend a small fortune patching up a 20 year old air suspension system, so we're trying to decide whether to replace it with new springs or new air system.

Liked by: Bounder, mad max

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #6
350 euro will get you a complete new rear air system ..that's air compressor, twin gauges etc...

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #7
In many years of visiting many motorhome forums, I have yet to hear anyone make a negative comment on air suspension. In fact virtually every poster praises it. Particularly the improved handling and ability to allow weight uprate.

Davy

Liked by: jemark

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #8
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Is the 350 euro kit universal or designed for different makes/models of vans.

The reason I ask is our van has four airbags (two each side) and a lot of the kits I come across only have two airbags. I'm afraid if I buy the 350 kit it wont be adaptable to how our van is currently working with the existing air system. I'm hoping it's as simple as take out old, put in new?

I hope this makes sense!

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #9
These kits are semi-air, they work with the leaf spring, they don't replace it. Check what you have before planning the replacement.

I believe the factory air setup for the Master is produced by driverite in Dublin. Your van probably predates the factory air suspension option but I think driverite were doing the kit before Renault made it a factory option.

Liked by: panda

DoneyMc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #10
Hi,
I replaced my rear leaf springs on my 1990 Ducato last month. Got a great set shipped from a guy in the UK who was reccomended through Talbot owners club. He gave me a pair with an extra leaf, original was 3 leaf but I upgraded to 4 leaf, he reccomended 5 leaf but I didn't go for 5 leaf. Anyway, springs were great, raised the back a few inches and stiffened up the handling in corners, and not too difficult to install either. Think they were 340ish euro with u bolts and bushings and shipping....bargain.
sales@jones-springs.co.uk

I have also repaired the air bags in the rear, these were very pricey so just done a tyre patch repair and they have held ever since!!

I would highly recommend new springs however would be less inclined to go for the air bags. I don't think its and option of one or the other, they both do different jobs. Springs are must...the air bags are a luxury and you could maybe do without them if you beef up the springs.
Donal

Liked by: panda

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #11
Thanks Donal, great advice.

So, on closer inspection it turns out our current springs are a modified job because the converted camper was an Ambulance minivan in it's past life. This meant that the springs were designed to lower the van as close as possible to the ground to let people out, but this caused us a lot of problems for us when the airbags acted this causing the van to bottom out.

So long story story (too late), I've dropped the van to my mechanic, he's going to remove the modified springs and put in a set of up-rated springs. At that point i'll test drive it and if I think I need a smoother ride I'll pick up an air suspension kit for €350 as mentioned earlier in the post.

If anyone is interested I will post back my findings on replaced springs and if we feel a need to add airbags

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, panda, sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #12
You'll definitely notice a huge improvement with stock springs...

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #13
samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2020  ·  #14
Based on my recent experience with tired shocks vs. new updated shocks I'd say that good quality shock absorbers are as important as springs. Went from "very careful driving required" on bumpy roads to "full GT" with apparently no risk of ever bottoming out.

Liked by: Ally, panda, sprinter

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #15
Update:
We replaced the modified springs with stock springs and removed the air suspension system completely.

Initial test drive was very good, I don't think we'll bother putting in a replacement air system as the ride is fine and cornering etc is fine also.

I think our old air suspension system had deteriorate so badly (leaks etc, perished airbags) that the replacement springs seem to have improved the overall feel.

Thanks for all the info and feedback, we're back on the road and raring to go

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.