split chargers on motorhomes

are both batteries in parallel when engine running

Norman
Subject:

split chargers on motorhomes

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #1
It would appear that split charging means that when my motorhome is being driven the leisure battery and the vehicle battery are in parallel in order that they are both being charged by the alternator.
Does this therefore mean that when I start my motorhome both batteries are drawing power from the starter motor?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: split chargers on motorhomes

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #2
No.
The habitation batteries only get charging current when the engine is running and the voltage becomes high enough.

Liked by: eirebus, panda

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #3
In my experience, the split charge relay requires a D+ input from the alternator to charge the leisure battery. Once the alternator is up and running, it throws the switch to charge the leisure battery too.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #4
Most modern Motorhomes have a relay built into the 12V Fuse Board. When the engine is started a 12V signal cable causes this relay to energise and it parallels both the starter battery and the leisure battery. This charges both batteries while the engine is running.

A split charge relay only comes into effect when the van is either on electric hook up or has a solar panel. In either EHU or solar charging priority is given to the leisure battery. When the leisure battery is charged the split charge relay changes over to the starter battery and charges it. If the leisure battery voltage drops the split charge relay then reverts back to the leisure battery.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #5
Quote by Erazmus

Most modern Motorhomes have a relay built into the 12V Fuse Board. When the engine is started a 12V signal cable causes this relay to energise and it parallels both the starter battery and the leisure battery. This charges both batteries while the engine is running.

A split charge relay only comes into effect when the van is either on electric hook up or has a solar panel. In either EHU or solar charging priority is given to the leisure battery. When the leisure battery is charged the split charge relay changes over to the starter battery and charges it. If the leisure battery voltage drops the split charge relay then reverts back to the leisure battery.

Not strictly speaking correct.
The traditional split charge relay is there to operate as stated in posts #2 and #3.
What you are describing is something which performs a function like this unit when the engine is not running and the source is either ehu or solar.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

Quote by Erazmus

Not strictly speaking correct.
The traditional split charge relay is there to operate as stated in posts #2 and #3.
What you are describing is something which performs a function like this unit when the engine is not running and the source is either ehu or solar.

Thats exactly what I was describing.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.