tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

I've got a ripple!

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #1
My new roof-top solar panel kit is on it's way, so today I took the opportunity to get up on the Rimor roof with the cleaning gear, and give the whole roof a deep-clean scrub in advance.
It was a hot afternoon, and as I reached the topic the ladder I was shocked to clearly see a large 'ripple' midway down the roof area, where the panel was going to be positioned.
The van is 2004, with absolutely no damp or ingress problems (that I know of!) and I've never seen any roof ripple before. I had a look this evening, it's obviously cooler and everything seems back to normal.
I'm now concerned about bonding the solar panel just to the roof skin in case it makes the situation worse.
But what if I used the four panel mounting brackets as a repair method? In other words, trace where each corner panel sits, then cut a smaller piece, within the triangle profile, out of the roof skin, exposing the ply beneath. Then apply the adhesive/sealant to each exposed section, so that each corner bracket is glued to the ply and also to the surrounding skin.
This way, the ripple should be restricted by the four glued brackets....at least, that's the theory.
I hope I've explained my plan clearly, all comments, advice, suggestions welcome.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: I've got a ripple!

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #2
Topic the ladder? Top of the ladder!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #3
Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #4
I have no practical experience of fitting solar panels, but my gut feeling would be to screw the corner feet (with lots of sealant) to the roof in case the roof ripples as you drive and not rely on adhesive only.

I am a great fan of aandncaravanservices. Alun Evans was extremely knowledgable on all thing electrical. He produced this great article on fitting panels. I have not seen any other article that is as comprehensive. Worth a read.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-panels.php

Davy

Liked by: tony glenn

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #5
I agree. Don’t just stick them to the outer skin. But do not. Repeat, do not cut the outer skin. There are ways to bolt through, but cutting a chunk out of the roof skin is not the way to proceed.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2020  ·  #6
We've a 2006 Rimor so u expect it's very similar. I've recently mounted 2 100w panels on the roof bars for lack of a better location and it's worked out exceptionally well. I've been running the fridge off them for chunks of the day today and yesterday in Goosey. Batteries full very early in the morning, lots of spare power.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #7
Ok, ok. I promise I won't cut the outer skin. I'll screw or bolt the corner plates on. I know it makes more sense, and I'd feel more confident about it.
I'll have a read of that link tomorrow, in the meantime anyone know the usual thickness of a camper roof? Enough depth for screws?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #8
They vary. Mine you will get away with 40 mm screws, but if you use 50 mm. Oops 😬

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #9
Thanks. I'll drill the cable hole first, and hopefully use that as a way to measure the roof thickness. Between cleaning and sat dish maintenance, I've been up there many times over the years and never felt any flexing or movement, so I'm guessing it's a fairly substantial construction.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #10
My last three vans the solar panels have been stuck only. Removing them is quite a job.

I wouldn't screw down through any roof when the adhesive is so good these days.

Picture a wind tunnel and how the air goes around the van at speed. We had a set of wooden ladders on the roof of a Volkswagen Transporter for two weeks that weren't even tied down. Whatever happened when we were loading the van it was overlooked, it was only when we went to use them that the looks of horror appeared. But they hadn't moved.

I actually have a panel on my roof with three feet at the moment, couldn't find the fourth. Now found and will be stuck down tomorrow. 😁

Certain types of roof you should screw also, @baguette had posted about them recently.

There are enough holes in the roof, if I ever buy a brand new Motorhome I might request no skylights. 😜

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #11
Let's rewind here a moment. The panel hasn't arrived yet and I'm already confused!
My original plan was to mount the panel (130 watt) on the roof using the four supplied corner brackets, plus additional aluminum right angle strips along each side, and finally an angled 'windbreak' strip along the front edge. All glued down with the correct adhesive. Proper job, no worries.
Until yesterday, when I first saw the ripple. Now, for all I know, that ripple might have been there for a while.... I can't recall ever being on the roof on a really hot day. (there's an old Kenny Lynch song there somewhere).
Perhaps the outer skin was always floating, who knows.
As the ripple area is exactly where I planned to put the panel, I'm thinking that the weight of it when glued to the skin would keep the ripple 'under control'. I really can't imagine the panel violently lifting up and down while travelling enough to split the roof skin.
Having said all that (and thanks for staying awake) I obviously stand to be corrected as to the best option: 1) glue only. 2) glue and screws.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #12
PS: I was just on the roof checking and it seems, after a lot of pressing and tapping, that the whole roof skin is 'floating' ....is it possible that the skin was never bonded (except at the edges lol) or is it equally possible that the skin over thewhole roof area has de-bonded over time?
Btw, it's a 30mm thickness, I removed the overhead light assembly and could clearly see the thickness of the combined polystyrene and plywood.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #13
It’s hard to say without seeing your roof. The most common way is to stick them down. However if you have a roof type that has a hail barrier, which appears, according to yourself, to be “floating” on top of your solid roof, then you would only be sticking the panel to this top layer. If you are confident that it is secure enough, to stick to this, then that’s the way to go. Penetration with screws is a second last resort...... but ahead of cutting a lump out of it 😁.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

I've got a ripple

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #14
Go with the original plan and take Panda's advise on drilling holes in all your brackets so as the adhesive comes up trough the holes for extra grip onto the brackets you
may be able to screw your angle strips to the panel depending on your orientation.

Liked by: panda, tony glenn

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2020  ·  #15
Tony, as Daffy said you might have a hail roof I think I have one as I can see mine move in high winds. I bought my van new and it came with a TV aerial so I assume it was factory fitted. It had a roof replaced at the factory after 4 years with the aerial put back on so I dont think it would just be glued down and assume it is screwed down

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.