New to me motorhome

Lennymc
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD
Subject:

New to me motorhome

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #1
So i recently bought a 2002 Autotrail Cheyenne 696, 6 berth, L Lounge motorhome. First 'proper' motorhome, and I love it. it does require a few small jobs that I will tackle over the winter, and try to document here.

Here are some pictures!

(This is the Bongo I had previously - Little & Large!! The bongo would fit sideways in the L lounge of the moho!!)

Lennymc
Subject:

Re: New to me motorhome

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #2
Since I got the moho, i did a few small jobs on it - just really checking it out to see what was what, and what i could do easily enough.

Job 1. I noticed when I was cleaning it, that the water was not draining away from the front scuttle. It had been parked under trees at the previous owners, and i figured that the drain hole was blocked.

After some digging, i found the drain tube, and it turns out the tube was kinked - someone had obviously moved it at some stage, and not moved it back, with the result that the hose was blocked and not letting water drain.

I need to treat some surface rust but looks like i avoided the pain of serious rust issues there.

I refit it properly, and the water drained away quickly, so job done! I would suggest that people check this on the 244 ducato, as, if the drain does block, in heavy rain you could get water ingress into the cab via the air blower intake.

job 2. The front bumper looked terrible, with UV damage and various shades of light grey. Previous owner use autoglym vinyl treatment which brought the bumper back up, but it would always fade very quickly, and wash away in heavy rain. I ordered a heat gun on amazon for about 20 quid, and spent about 45 minutes going over the bumper with the heat gun. The heat magically restores the finish on the bumper, and after a quick viinyl treatment, it has come up a treat!

Before

After

job 3.
the blower was week in the heating system, so after seeing the dust build up on the fan on another forum, i checked my own. As i thought, lots of dust!

yuck

Removed it, cleaned it, refit it, and hey presto, massive improvement in the quantity of air coming from the vents.

I also changed the gas rubber hose, as I didn't know how old it was, fit a carbon/smoke alarm, two fire extinguishers and a fire blanket, and a new single din head unit that holds the phone, and allows proper sat nav & phone functionality via an app - similar to android auto.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/SPH-10BT

using co-pilot satnav on it is easy, and there is good sound, so happy days.

Liked by: Ally, baguette, GMAC, JJF, johnnymac, Mark&Wendy, ntg, panda, sprinter, TommyS, +deleted user

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #3
Well done on the purchase and the bits of maintainence. I am sure you will get great fun and many happy trips in it.
Do keep an eye on the scuttle drains. There is a generation of fiats that suffer from blocked or poor drainage allowing water to accumulate on the head of the engine leading to expensive problems. Do a bit of a google so that you know what to watch for.

Davy

Lennymc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #4
Thanks Davy - i think that was the next generation ducato (250?) version, and the injector seats would rust, causing all sorts of problems. I will keep an eye on it regardless, as if it blocked, the water could enter the cab via the air heater intake.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #5
Very nice lenny...great work on the bumper 👍

Liked by: Lennymc

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #6
Great work!

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #7
looks fab,safe travels :)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Lennymc

Since I got the moho, i did a few small jobs on it - just really checking it out to see what was what, and what i could do easily enough.

Job 1. I noticed when I was cleaning it, that the water was not draining away from the front scuttle. It had been parked under trees at the previous owners, and i figured that the drain hole was blocked.

After some digging, i found the drain tube, and it turns out the tube was kinked - someone had obviously moved it at some stage, and not moved it back, with the result that the hose was blocked and not letting water drain.

I need to treat some surface rust but looks like i avoided the pain of serious rust issues there.

I refit it properly, and the water drained away quickly, so job done! I would suggest that people check this on the 244 ducato, as, if the drain does block, in heavy rain you could get water ingress into the cab via the air blower intake.

job 2. The front bumper looked terrible, with UV damage and various shades of light grey. Previous owner use autoglym vinyl treatment which brought the bumper back up, but it would always fade very quickly, and wash away in heavy rain. I ordered a heat gun on amazon for about 20 quid, and spent about 45 minutes going over the bumper with the heat gun. The heat magically restores the finish on the bumper, and after a quick viinyl treatment, it has come up a treat!

Before

After

job 3.
the blower was week in the heating system, so after seeing the dust build up on the fan on another forum, i checked my own. As i thought, lots of dust!

yuck

Removed it, cleaned it, refit it, and hey presto, massive improvement in the quantity of air coming from the vents.

I also changed the gas rubber hose, as I didn't know how old it was, fit a carbon/smoke alarm, two fire extinguishers and a fire blanket, and a new single din head unit that holds the phone, and allows proper sat nav & phone functionality via an app - similar to android auto.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/SPH-10BT

using co-pilot satnav on it is easy, and there is good sound, so happy days.

Wishing you many happy travels,you certainly have the personal touch for keeping it good.
Happy camping 👍👍👍

Liked by: Lennymc, sprinter

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2020  ·  #9
There’s always something to do the amount of things I’ve done to our van and we only bought it before Xmas and I’m still not finished 😁

Liked by: Lennymc, panda, sprinter

Lennymc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2020  ·  #10
Quote by hillton9

There’s always something to do the amount of things I’ve done to our van and we only bought it before Xmas and I’m still not finished 😁

yeah - there sure is. Im compiling a list for the winter.... LOL. Tinkering and improving, and changing.

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.