samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

Re: Brittany Ferries

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #4
For 2021 more direct routes to France and more competition will be most welcome until the customs etc. situation with UK is sorted out. But in these strange times a trip outside Ireland seem such an impossible dream...

Liked by: eirebus

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2020  ·  #5
Now if we could get one to go from Belfast

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #6
Quote by TommyS

Now if we could get one to go from Belfast

Whats your driving time to Rosslare, You'd be at least another 6 hrs on board the boat.?

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #7
Over 4 hours but I woukd prefer time on the boat to save 400 miles added to the journey. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #8
Quote by TommyS

Over 4 hours but I woukd prefer time on the boat to save 400 miles added to the journey. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age

last time I went from Dublin instead of Rosslare, I saved about 35 min driving time going, only to waste 6 hrs looking at the Irish sea.

Liked by: eirebus, TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #9
Sprinter, I just looked at sailing times Irish Ferries from Dublin 1600 arriving 1130, Stena 2130 from Rosslare arriving 1630, not a lot of difference

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2020  ·  #10
hey there lads i just put in dates with stena line there for the hell of it just to see what came up price wise ,1 st july to the 15 august 2021 and came up 731 pounds with no berth,i have never done this before and just wondering is this about right ,that seems wild expensive

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2020  ·  #11
Quote by relay racer

hey there lads i just put in dates with stena line there for the hell of it just to see what came up price wise ,1 st july to the 15 august 2021 and came up 731 pounds with no berth,i have never done this before and just wondering is this about right ,that seems wild expensive

Probably it's peak season

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #12
yeh maybe no previous experence showing here, but wouldnt you think ferries would be more competative than airlines ,they know that sort of trade transporting freight over land is never going to go away ,so when you would put a birth on both ways youre looking at about a 1000 pounds ,wow

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #13
When all this is over I wont be doing the Brittany Ferries rip off anymore to Spain, It's outrageous what they charge for a shoddy service at best.

Rosslare to Pembroke then it'll be Eurotunnel to Europe.....I did this route before and in balance the best way for me anyway.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #14
With going back and forth to Spain over the years I have found that the direct sailings are price prohibitive July and August so I always do the landbridge option with Stena or Irish Ferries, it’s usually about a third of the cost of a direct sailing. Even taking into account the fuel burn etc it’s still way cheaper, I also treat the trip as part of the holiday.

Liked by: panda, TippOff

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #15
Quote by panda

When all this is over I wont be doing the Brittany Ferries rip off anymore to Spain, It's outrageous what they charge for a shoddy service at best.

Rosslare to Pembroke then it'll be Eurotunnel to Europe.....I did this route before and in balance the best way for me anyway.

I suppose it all depends on where you are going and how long you have. By going to Pembroke then going to the euro tunnel and then Calais to Spain you have added 1500 km (900+ miles) to your journey. Probably around £150 / £200 extra in fuel each way.
One way Rosslare to Bilbao in Nov with MH 2 adults, dog and pet friendly cabin is £600. If I took Irish or stena rosslare to Pembroke around £200 Chunnel crossing around £100.
Avoiding all tolls driving through France I might save £150 but then I have 3 or more days driving in a cold wet and mostly closed France in November. Not to mention another day’s driving across Wales, followed by the joy of the M4 and M25 etc.
I’ll put up with shoddy service and gladly get in my cabin on route to Bilbao in 26 hours I can eat, drink too much alcohol, sleep, shower, eat breakfast, arrive in Spain relaxed, refreshed and ready to roll.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, GMAC, panda, +deleted user

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #16
Quote by the fat controller

With going back and forth to Spain over the years I have found that the direct sailings are price prohibitive July and August so I always do the landbridge option with Stena or Irish Ferries, it’s usually about a third of the cost of a direct sailing. Even taking into account the fuel burn etc it’s still way cheaper, I also treat the trip as part of the holiday.

I agree if you are traveling in spring or summer but in winter direct suits me better.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #17
I notice the MHCC Stena Discount code 3TVUPE and link is coming up invalid.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #18
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by panda

I suppose it all depends on where you are going and how long you have. By going to Pembroke then going to the euro tunnel and then Calais to Spain you have added 1500 km (900+ miles) to your journey. Probably around £150 / £200 extra in fuel each way.
One way Rosslare to Bilbao in Nov with MH 2 adults, dog and pet friendly cabin is £600. If I took Irish or stena rosslare to Pembroke around £200 Chunnel crossing around £100.
Avoiding all tolls driving through France I might save £150 but then I have 3 or more days driving in a cold wet and mostly closed France in November. Not to mention another day’s driving across Wales, followed by the joy of the M4 and M25 etc.
I’ll put up with shoddy service and gladly get in my cabin on route to Bilbao in 26 hours I can eat, drink too much alcohol, sleep, shower, eat breakfast, arrive in Spain relaxed, refreshed and ready to roll.

Jamie...I was a huge advocate of Brittany Ferries at the start....It was ideal for my dogs too as they had pet friendly cabins etc but how many times has the sailings been cancelled at the last minute? Too many to count and we have had first hand experience of this, as did many other travellers. Its a shoddy, expensive service. My holiday starts when we leave in the van and not when we reach Spain....Each to their own but if they had a reliable service it might change my views.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #19
Quote by panda

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by panda

Jamie...I was a huge advocate of Brittany Ferries at the start....It was ideal for my dogs too as they had pet friendly cabins etc but how many times has the sailings been cancelled at the last minute? Too many to count and we have had first hand experience of this, as did many other travellers. Its a shoddy, expensive service. My holiday starts when we leave in the van and not when we reach Spain....Each to their own but if they had a reliable service it might change my views.

I have been lucky, the first time I went on Brittany ferries was on the same sailing as JJF and we were 4/6 hours late leaving but every other crossing was on time.
I have done the exact crossing you like in reverse but only because I had to be in England. I have also done Portsmouth to Santander and Bilbao to Plymouth and Rosslare to Cherbourg return and so far for the time of year I travel I prefer avoiding the uk and France but I have flexibility on return dates.
Now that I’ve posted this my next crossing will be awful. I’ll update in November.

Liked by: panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #20
We've generally gone Rosslare - Cherbourg with Celtic Link and since they sold out with either Stenna or Irish Ferries. In 2019 we treated ourselves to Brittany Ferries and were subjected to their ship breakdown fiasco, never again.

I have a lovely mostly toll free route from Cherbourg to Spain which involves two nights in France, NIGHT ONE and NIGHT TWO. The route has no issues even in mid-winter and both Aires are quiet and secure and close to the main route. By night three we are well into northern Spain.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

Not enough people used it Martin so the old saying "use it or lose it" happened
Ally puts alot of effort into getting these discounts, but if there not used............ 😔

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries

· 
Posted: 10.10.2020  ·  #22
Quote by eirebus

Quote by sprinter

Ally puts alot of effort into getting these discounts, but if there not used............ 😔

Probably understandable this year, although I tried to make a booking and was informed all accommodation, was fully booked including the seats, but I still needed to add something so could not complete it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2020  ·  #23
Quote by sprinter

Quote by eirebus

Quote by sprinter

Probably understandable this year, although I tried to make a booking and was informed all accommodation, was fully booked including the seats, but I still needed to add something so could not complete it.

Having travelled by both Stena and P&O recently it’s not that the cabins etc are fully booked but due to COVID they are running a very stripped back service, the cabins are being kept for the freight guys and not being issued to joe public, a lot of the lounges are closed and people are being kept in a more restricted area

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.