Narrow Irish roads

Seanjack1
Subject:

Narrow Irish roads

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #1
Is it my imagination or are the roads in Ireland a lot narrower than roads anywhere else in the world
Driving to crookhaven today and one clip and several near misses has left me in tatters. Why can't we have single lane roads like Scotland. Was driving from ballylickey. Still shaking😪

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Narrow Irish roads

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #2
😅😅. Thank the famine for that. Folk were paid in food to build ditches, and clear fields at the same time. You could try staying in the middle of the road and making them stop. I have a mate in an RV that does it the whole time and swears it works. 🤔

Liked by: baguette, GMAC, sprinter

Seanjack1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #3
Not the plonkers today. Could see there was no room and kept coming. I just stopped and let them make their own decisions 😆

Liked by: Ally, +deleted user

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #4
I met a small curtain side heading out of Castletownbere for Eyeries.
I could go no further left and the mirrors met.
Busted mirror case and the glass is shattered but still held together with the electrical heating element
Stuck the remains back together with some duct tape and it will be ok until I get a replacement. Just part of dealing with narrow roads and wider vehicles

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Narrow Irish roads

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #5
I'm with Dave's mate dont pull in , you just get your mirrors broken, stay out and slow right down,so they have to stop.
Then ask them what the F##k do they think they are doing, how mush do they pay to buy the whole road, and will they pull in or will you go and put the kettle on.

Liked by: GMAC, Stacks

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2020  ·  #6
Quote by Bounder

I met a small curtain side heading out of Castletownbere for Eyeries.
I could go no further left and the mirrors met.
Busted mirror case and the glass is shattered but still held together with the electrical heating element
Stuck the remains back together with some duct tape and it will be ok until I get a replacement. Just part of dealing with narrow roads and wider vehicles

I had a clash of mirrors with a T5 on backroads near Garretstown very soon after getting the van, mirror glass smashed. Bought 2 rhs mirror glass and 1 lhs mirror glass. Fitted one rhs mirror glass to replace the busted one and left the other two in the glove box to ward off mirror clashes and 3 years later its still working a charm 😁

Liked by: Ally, Bounder, Davy, sprinter, +deleted user

Transit Ted
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2020  ·  #7
Just curious Bounder . Which road did you go to Castletowbear from Eyeries. I assume it was the R571 ???

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2020  ·  #8
Yep R571, there are others but they are equally as tight. The R 572 and R 575 are very narrow and not really suitable for larger vans. It’s tight in a PVC let alone a coachbuilt.

Transit Ted
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2020  ·  #9
Yep !!
Found that out recently. Went the R575 from Eyries to Dursy .
Now thats " A Narrow Road ". But the views are worth it. IF, you can get a chance to see them . !!! We were just Lucky we didn't meet anything on the uphill/ hair- pin bends . Phew !!!

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2020  ·  #10
🤐 Well folks if you think you have it bad you had better not come down to Somerset and Devon down here you need a good supply of 🧻 if going off the main roads

🤔😁😖😨

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2020  ·  #11
Quote by heanorboy

🤐 Well folks if you think you have it bad you had better not come down to Somerset and Devon down here you need a good supply of 🧻 if going off the main roads

🤔😁😖😨

I can vouch for that, I toured that area in 2016 in my LHD A-Class o.O . Most Irish R roads ate better than the A roads down there. Scotland has some seriously narrow 'main' roads too. However, like Ireland, those areas are well worth a visit for the great scenery, just take it easy and read the road ahead giving way to the road hoggers in plenty of time.

Liked by: Ally

Seanjack1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2020  ·  #12
At least in Scotland they have somewhere to duck into every 100m or so. My bus 7.4m ,the O.H enjoyed the scenery. I needed loo roll 😂.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.