Is it possible to change LHD to RHD

Evie77
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #1
Hello,
I am.looking to buy a campervan here in Ireland. They are in short supply! One has come up in my budget with viewings soon. It is a LHD, ideally I would prefer to RHD as I would like to be able to head off myself with the kids if the my other half cant! I am not sure if I would be confident in a LHD. Is it possible to convert it over and if so would any one have any idea on price. Thanking you all in advance.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Is it possible to change LHD to RHD

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #2
I onced changed a little volvo from left to right ,but had a donor car also. No problems and no trouble getting it tested as the driving position was not on the test.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #3
I think, any thing is possible, but I would imagine the cost would be quite big. I have a LHD. It doesn’t cast me a thought, get out of a RHD, into the LHD, and I notice no difference at all. After half an hour, it won’t bother you. The only difficulty is if you want to pass something, and you have nobody in the other front seat, it can be a little awkward. If you have found a van you like, I wouldn’t let hat stop me buying it, and you will be delighted if you bring it to the continent, when everything is strange, especially the road signs. Then it’s handy to have the vehicle to suit the roads.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Daffysparks

I think, any thing is possible, but I would imagine the cost would be quite big. I have a LHD. It doesn’t cast me a thought, get out of a RHD, into the LHD, and I notice no difference at all. After half an hour, it won’t bother you. The only difficulty is if you want to pass something, and you have nobody in the other front seat, it can be a little awkward. If you have found a van you like, I wouldn’t let hat stop me buying it, and you will be delighted if you bring it to the continent, when everything is strange, especially the road signs. Then it’s handy to have the vehicle to suit the roads.

I totally agree. I have a LHD and while it was a bit scary at the start (mostly for my wife sitting on the RHS ) I got used to it very quickly. Not sure she has though, particularly with an oncoming truck on a narrow road :-)

Liked by: CHAUSSON, panda, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #5
I had 2 LHD Vans they're no problem to drive and brilliant in the EU , changing would just cause problems , handbrake in particular

Liked by: panda, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #6
It is Possible you would have to find a Scrapped van to get some parts from to do the job. and then a panel shop would probably be the ones to do the change over.
But I would agree with the lads, don't let the LHD put you off, if you are a confidante driver it is not a big problem, you just need to be more carefull which is not a bad thing anyway.
A van conversion would be a little easier then a B class or A class.
what are you looking at.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #7
I have 3 vehicles and all are LHD and I find RHD strange now, especially in a van. Only issue is junctions where I can’t get angled to see out if I am on my own. I have a a put a small camera under he rhs wing mirror to help me see. Other than that I would not worry about LHD at all. Have not got to the continent in it yet but as others have said that is where it really would pay off. I would say any negatives you see in LHDs would not Ben enough to warrant changing it. I imagine it would be expensive and be full of surprises

Liked by: sprinter

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #8
My camper was LHD; no problem. Someone posted years ago that it helps you to not drive into the ditch on narrow roads,

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #9
RHD is not as easy to swap as it was. Steering rack, brake system, dash, headlights, gearshift etc, it won’t be cheap or easy and you may still run into unforeseen things like fuse boxes and wiring that has to be changed over.
I have a LHD and wouldn’t change it for a RHD now. Either in Ireland or on the continent I’d prefer it.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, sprinter, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #10
Quote by Evie77

Hello,
I am.looking to buy a campervan here in Ireland. They are in short supply! One has come up in my budget with viewings soon. It is a LHD, ideally I would prefer to RHD as I would like to be able to head off myself with the kids if the my other half cant! I am not sure if I would be confident in a LHD. Is it possible to convert it over and if so would any one have any idea on price. Thanking you all in advance.

Hi Eavan.I sent you PM.

Evie77
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #11
Thank you everyone for all your helpful answers. I am feeling more confident now and as ye say a LHD would be more beneficial if we go to Europe which I would like to do too!

Liked by: Bounder, eirebus

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #12
Another LHD owner lending my voice to it not being an issue.

For overtaking, it's not an issue, you won't be overtaking anyway, mine can hit 130kmh on French motorways but overtaking on B roads is never a consideration.

For left filter lanes and Y junctions, you just stop a little bit further back from the line so that you can still see the oncoming traffic.

Liked by: Bounder, eirebus, Elmo, seanmc, sprinter, +deleted user

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2020  ·  #13
Personally, I find LHD a real plus, especially on narrow roads....just hug the ditch as tight as you can when faced with an oncoming truck. Then listen for the long list of Holy Names being invoked from the passenger seat.
Quick story: Many years ago, I briefly owned a Ford Mustang (sold it for £240, now worth considerably more!)
LHD of course. I parked outside the newsagent on my first morning drive to work and went in for my paper, proudly noticing the long line of envious people at the bus stop over the road. Back out I strutted, looking pretty damn cool as I slid back into my seat. Except that it was the passenger seat. I'd forgotten it was LHD......

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2020  ·  #14
Our last Motorhome was lhd and we loved it and wanted to buy another one but ended up buying rhd. Tbh if I now had the choice of a lhd or rhd I’d probably go for the Rhd but I wouldn’t be too bothered. Now in your case If you are driving it on your own rhd is definitely an advantage, it is ok overtaking a car because you can see over it but with larger vehicles that is not possible and you will have most of your motorhome across the road before you can see if it is safe to overtake. Someone said you won’t be overtaking anything, I don’t agree with that, how many times will you be driving in rural roads and you might have to pass a parked lorry, silage trailer or what ever. You might have a child in the passenger seat but can you trust someone that don’t drive to inform you correctly if safe to pass. Just bare that in mind if you are on your own, maybe you could fit a camera to help. Lhd is no problem if you have someone that drives in the passenger seat.

Liked by: ntg, TippOff

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2020  ·  #15
Changing from LHD to RHD could be a problem,consider steering column, dash ,wiring loom , braking system, pedals, hand brake, wipers plus many more things.
If you can do it your self it would be cheaper
Its easier to drive a LHD in Ireland then a RHD in Europe,

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2020  ·  #16
This poses a very interesting question,
How many people in LHD'S damage the passenger side of the vans in comparison to thoes who drive RHD'S.

without any evidence I think the Lefties would win because of been that bit more carefull .

with regard to overtaking when on the wrong side, I find the best approach is to hang further back and start sooner then you would normally.
Quite a few people are nervous driving on the Continent no matter what there in.
The real big one where mistakes are made, is when your turning out onto the road from Supermarkets,filling stations places where you may have been distracted.
I drive a RHD but I have done both over a long number of years.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2020  ·  #17
I have previously had a LHD and it clearly has its benefits here in Ireland... tuck in closer to the verge on narrower roads and you can avoid overhangs from hedges and branches. It was perfect for going to France and it even seemed to drive better on French roads. The only time it was noticeable was at some offset junctions where you might have to spend and extra second checking left and moving your head to avoid the blind spot. I wouldn't contemplate trying to modify a van from LHD to RHD - you would get used to it in no time. I would have another LHD in a heartbeat.

Dealers will tell you at trade in time that LHD are worth less but it is rarely if ever reflected in their retail price. I sold mine privately super fast and with no hassle at all... in fact I could have easily sold it five times over.

Liked by: eirebus, Mark&Wendy

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2020  ·  #18
After driving for quite a number of years on the continent in a Uk spec or a left hooker both for work and pleasure , The art of changing over to the correct side of the road becomes second nature as long as you remember first thing in the morning which country you are in. As most of the continent you are on dual carrigeway then a right hand drive is no problem, With a left hooker on the smaller roads like Ireland, Wales and Scotland you have to be very careful when trying to overtake slower moving traffic, a co pilot is very useful. Places like Italy use to use right hand drive so the driver could see the edge on mountain roads. It would depend where you spend much of your time as to the choice of right or left hand drive

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2020  ·  #19
It's probably been said before, but whenever I'm driving in France I tie an annoying piece of string or ribbon top dead centre of the steering wheel. It's a constant irritation when driving, but a constant reminder to drive on the right......

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.