Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Pilote 78MX
Base Vehicle: Peugeot 2.5 TD
Subject:

Re: Disappointing Headline

· 
Posted: 30.06.2020  ·  #2
Not good, but we can't be responsible for every white box.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, GMAC, ntg

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #3
What a fantastic piece of investigative journalism. Really classy. Unsubstantiated claims by an unnamed resident, who we don’t know even exists. Is it illegal to park along that stretch of road in the photograph? I doubt it. Contravening social distancing guidelines? Really, by parking at least 15 feet apart from each other. Claims of urinating and littering? Easy to throw mud. Where’s the proof?

You lock people down for months on end. Tell them not to travel. When the lockdown ends people get a hard time for getting out and visiting the beach. This is going to be one messy summer with some bitter finger wagging. And it will be the law abiding, doing everything correctly type of motorhomers that will feel the most put out by this. I’m sick of it already.

Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #4
A well respected motorhomer on another group was one of the vans in the picture. He had been there for the weekend and reports not seeing anyone abusing the area. He states the bottle bank was a disgrace before arrival and that it is often the case that local ‘interests’ are seeking to stop parking and people making use of the area. His opinion is based on being a visitor over many years.

I assume the reporter didn’t bother talking to any motorhomers since that would spoil a good story. These types of reporting need to be challenged vigorously by local motorhomers to try and add a little balance. To not do so is not helpful to our cause.

Davy

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #5
I’m not one bit surprised by your friends’s account Davy. That article was nothing but amateur heresay.

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #6
You'd think a local newspaper would have a bit more respect for a true story.

As there is proof it's made up, it's
cheap, nasty and childish story telling. "Look what them bad boys done"

I naively thought it was only the big boy newspapers that made stories up.

Time for some emails to the paper.

Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Not good, but we can't be responsible for every white box.
Someone in the area obviously doesn't like their view being blocked by white boxes running "bumper to bumper" along the beach.

I'm surprised the council didn't put up more signs or make more efforts to deter motorhomes by now though. We were there last year, I think it was the June weekend, and it was the same story, cars were outnumbered by campers 5:1 and you literally couldn't see the beach or the sea for all of the campers lined up by the waterfront. It was like a white wall. Personally I don't mind it, but I can see why it'd be intimidating or even frustrating for those who are not into the motorhome scene.

The BS about people urinating on the footpaths and litter strewn about the place is the typical shit the journalist couldn't resist adding to the story.

There are public toilets at each beach and have been very clean every time we've used them. I wonder were they closed due to the covid situation?

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #8
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #9
Quote by Ally

The editor is on holidays for two weeks so use this email
siobhan.cronin@southernstar.ie

Yes a few emails on how to get the facts right might help

Craic'er
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #10
It’s more than a bloody disgrace, it’s dangerous behaviour.

At a time when there’s already an amount of real fear within communities we have hacks spreading lies and thus injecting anxiety with fake news just so they can fill a page.

We’ve a young family onboard and have went out of our way to ask questions about the Motorhome lifestyle just so we can get it right and therefore remain responsible and respectful to every wee community we end up in. But disingenuous stories like above create a dangerous environment for good people.

Shame on them, I’ll be writing to them.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #11
The spin is strong on this one. They've gone out of their way with the photo to get a perspective that hides any spacing between vans. To do this, they've even needed to get a double axel caravan at the near end and the second van looks like a caravan too. It's worth noting the absence of cars in the available spaces in the picture so it doesn't look like anybody was being crowded out. I wonder if the "reporter" got a call from one of the local campsite owners?

A factual rewriting of what can be seen in the picture might be...
9 Motorhomes park along a 700m stretch of road

All that said, if there looks to be a high concentration of vans, it's always best to move along.

Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #12
Quote by Blag

There are public toilets at each beach and have been very clean every time we've used them. I wonder were they closed due to the covid situation?

Even if they are, motorhomes and even the caravans in the picture all have toilets on board, so highly unlikely that the defication was caused by the motorhome community.

As for the photo, changing the angle can make look like its packed or well spaced depending on what view you are trying to portray

Craic'er
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #13
A friend of mine who lives a stone's throw from garretstown beach, gave a brilliant reply on their Facebook page. This is probably the real view of locals.

Facebook link to article

Liked by: Ally

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #14
Quote by MerlinTheMotorhome

Shame on them, I’ll be writing to them.

Here here. I’ll do likewise. If indeed concerns were voiced by ‘a’ resident, it certainly does not warrant an article, let alone such an unbalanced piece. Had there been a bigger story there, such as angry residents, or any kind of crowded scenes or worse, Garda intervention, then an article that brings matters to attention in a balanced way would have been in order.

Journalist should discuss matters such as tourists right to visit such locations, peoples rights to park, staycationers rights to holiday at home etc.. Especially under the current government advice. The fact that motorhomers have toilet facilities by enlarge and are law abiding and leave no trace. They can play devils advocate all they want but they can’t write a piece that points the finger for littering at the motorhomes like that without a shred of evidence.

Provincial cronyism is all that piece was.

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #15
Quote by StephenC

A friend of mine who lives a stone's throw from garretstown beach, gave a brilliant reply on their Facebook page. This is probably the real view of locals.

Facebook link to article

Replied to that.

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #16
Quote by Ally

Quote by StephenC

Facebook link to article

Replied to that.

I wish I could read those replies but I don’t have Facebook 😔

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

I wish I could read those replies but I don’t have Facebook 😔

Lucky you.

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #18
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #19
Hi Everyone.

New to this page but we are happy owners of a Knaus Sun Traveller. Kitesurfing / surfing and coastal trips are our thing. Oh and we live at the beach and know it well.

I read the said article in the paper last Thursday and as my piece on Facebook states, I was very disappointed by it.

For the record, there is a general feeling of welcoming tourists from many many locals in the area. Tourism is a vital part of the local economy.
So if anyone has been offended by the comments in the poorly researched and written article, don't be. Ballinspittle / Garrettstown are welcoming to tourist both local and from further afield. I was disappointed too that the Courcey Chronicle shared the article to further fan flames.

What has damaged things in this area has been the likes of:
Teenage beach parties who don't clean up after themselves. But that is happening everywhere, have a look in James Fort Kinsale, any night if week, it's chaos.
Campervanners / Caravan folk who do not clean up but we all know this is a very small few from a specific minority few.
Poor management of the general beach area and roads. Poor footpaths, parking, unfinished hotels, lack of bins and for the 1st two beaches on the Wild Atlantic Way the toilets are of a very low standard.

So, I am glad to see such unity here on the article. I will be sending my own response too.

But just so as we are all clear, people are welcome to Garrettstown / Garrlucas. Its been an extremely tough year for all. Lets work together and enjoy the coast etc. It is going to busy right throughout July August.

Ps I am off to Kerry this weekend in me Camper and there's loads of wind forecast! Should be great fun.

Happy travels.

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2020  ·  #20
Thanks Jon, have a great weekend :up:

Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: Yesterday at 00:09  ·  #21
Great to see such a powerful reaction to my original link.
And here's the irony. When I first decided to re-locate from the UK in 1992, I wrote to various small towns along the coast for information on employment opportunities in their areas. The most helpful reply was from the late Liam O'Regan, long-term editor of The Southern Star in Skibbereen. Following his advice, I eventually made my home here in the town. Under Liam's supervision, The Star was always a fair and balanced local paper then. How times seem to have changed.

Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: Yesterday at 11:47  ·  #22
We get articles like that all the time in the UK. Clearly it is people with cars that leave loads of mess and crap in the bushes....makes me mad as people seem to believe it.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.