Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Bringing a motorbike along with your motorhome or Campervan

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #1
Hi all

A listener to The Camping Crew podcast has asked for advice on carrying and transporting a motorbike safely with him when he tours Europe in the next year or so.

Do any of you do this currently? What is the best advice in terms of safely and securely bringing your bike along with you when you go camping?

I will be discussing this on a podcast in the next couple of weeks so any advice would be greatfully welcomed and you may even get a mention on the podcast. :-)

Thanks all in advance.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Bringing a motorbike along with your motorhome or Campervan

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #2
So many factors to consider here, a lot will depend on your listeners MH, has it got a large garage? Could the garage take the weight of the motor bike? Others I have seen have attached their motor bike to the back of their MH, there are various bits of kit for chassis, rear bumper, tow bar etc mountings others have open or enclosed trailers.
I take a 125cc scooter it fits in the garage and can be connected to my van Bitz alarm. It is a bit of a faff, I have to take the mirrors and back box off to get it in, I have a fiamma bike scooter ramp which is bolted to the floor of the garage which is handy enough and decent ratchets etc to keep the bike up right when it’s stowed in the garage.
I find I don’t use the scooter unless I’m parked up for at least 2 or 3 days as it takes a while to get it in and out the garage, not helped by the fact I carry too much stuff in the garage which has to move for the scooter to get out and be put back.
Overall I’m pleased I have it for the extra freedom and flexibility.

Liked by: ChrisByrne, TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #3
I can only talk about carrying scooters. I have a rack that fitted onto a tow bar. You take the ball off and bolt it on. It is ok for lightweight stuff but wouldnt take a big bike. I used to carry a Honda 90 or a 125 cc Scrambling Bike on it. I covered it when travelling as it got very dirty.i think one of the small trailer types would be better for a bigger bike.A scooter is very handy on site when you want to potter about or like me too lazy to get the bicycle out. I have a garage in the MH now and carry a Yamaha 125 Majesty Scooter. Think there a few guys on here have larger motorcycles. I still have the rack if anyone is interested PM me

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #4
This is definitely not a one cap fits all criteria, scooter or small motorbike will most likely fit either in the garage or bike rack on the back.
Larger motorbike will most likely require a trailer and for younger licence holders that may present a problem.
Security of the motorbike is really down to where the vehicle is left parked while in public areas and there should not be much of an issue while on Aires or Campsites.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #5
sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #6
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #7
I carried an MSX125 on the back of a Compass Avantgarde 140 for a while. It was ok, easy enough to put on and off and it was handy when I needed, I just never seemed to need it. It was on a Motorbike Rack attached to the tow bar.

I was heading back up from Ferrybank in Wexford and on the Motorway I noticed a car following me rather close. It wen ton like that for a few miles until I turned into a service station. I was glad I did!

The ratchet strap had worn through and the bike was hanging right back at a 30 degree angle. Only I had a safety chain on it I would of lost it and it would of maybe fell off in front of a car. Why was the guy following me so close? I'll never know.

After that I attached a Rape/Attack Alarm in through the rear window, if the bike had of moved it would of pulled the pin and set it off. I then fitted a reversing camera to be doubly sure :)

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #8
First, before adding additional weight to the rear of a motorhome it's important to check the weight change effect on the rear axle and the front. Why the front, because the added on the back axle takes from the front (see-saw effect) which can adversely affect braking and especially traction grip going uphill in the wet.

Here' the equation https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_axle_loads.html

If the above calculator shows the proposed additional load exceeds the maximum weight of the rear axle or if without adding a bike you are already close to its max the only option is a trailer, either a regular trailer or one of these [youtube]

[/youtube] there are heavier models with a pair of wheels and heavier still models with a pair of double wheels.
Try this with a regular trailer [youtube]

[/youtube]

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #9
Quote by sootyrex

That looks class Galldar.

I thought so too, when the question was asked I straight away remembered it was posted here somewhere.

Liked by: Ally, ChrisByrne

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2020  ·  #10
We carry a 125 scooter on an easylifter on the tow bar. It fits over the ball and into a small bracket. The bike is clamped securely with a clamp over the seat. It’s wired to an open/closed alarm loop and also locked there. Very easily removed and filled. Our scooter is just shy of 100kg. We use a cover to keep it clean. Use it extensively when parked up. We’ve travelled Portugal/Spain/France with it without issues. Very useful bit of kit.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

We carry a 125 scooter on an easylifter on the tow bar. It fits over the ball and into a small bracket. The bike is clamped securely with a clamp over the seat. It’s wired to an open/closed alarm loop and also locked there. Very easily removed and filled. Our scooter is just shy of 100kg. We use a cover to keep it clean. Use it extensively when parked up. We’ve travelled Portugal/Spain/France with it without issues. Very useful bit of kit.

Remember a 100kg scooter will add 140kg or thereabouts, depending on the length of overhang, to load on the rear axle and take 40kg off the front axle.

I'm now very cautious about the load on the front axle in the overall equation after a scary moment a few years ago when I sensed an impending loss of traction on a wet night heading up a hill in San Marino. It took extremely careful throttle control to make it to the top. The tyres were 'as new' and only had a few thousand km's done since they were fitted before I left on the trip.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #12
I keep the scooter as far forward as possible as it weighs 134 dry weight. There is also a 50kg generator in with it So far I havnt had any problems with traction even over the Alps

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #13
Quote by TommyS

I keep the scooter as far forward as possible as it weighs 134 dry weight. There is also a 50kg generator in with it So far I havnt had any problems with traction even over the Alps

It's all about how far behind the rear axle the load is . The closer the less effect on the front axle the further back the greater.

Liked by: ChrisByrne, TommyS

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #14
Quote by baguette

Quote by TommyS

It's all about how far behind the rear axle the load is . The closer the less effect on the front axle the further back the greater.

Tommy's tandem axle van also helps

Liked by: ChrisByrne

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bringing a motorbike along with your motorhome or Campervan

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #15
A friend of ours carried a 200cc scooter in his Garage, but it was a 6ton single axle, 8.86mtr A class.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #16
Our last Motorhome had a motorbike carrier on the back the bloke who owned it before us got it made it fitted up inside the tow bar and he was able to wheel the bike up a channel onto the rack

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #17
Agree the tandem axle and big payload helps. I really dont feel the extra weight. When I had the KonTiki with the carrier on the tow bar I was aware of the extra weight. The rear felt heavy as the normal overhang was extended

Liked by: ChrisByrne, sprinter

ChrisByrne
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2020  ·  #18
Wow, thanks guys. That’s great information. I’m going to read out a few of the tips at the next recording. I may have to edit them down a bit though. Thanks again. MHCC to the rescue once again.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2020  ·  #19
Quote by Galldar

forum/topic.php?t=20264

For the bigger bikes

I actually saw a savage in Donegal with a brand spanking new MH dropping by a beach carrying a R1200GS on the back.

What a lucky b*****d, so happy for him!!

My next MH will have to have a towbar or garage to be able to carry a 2 stroke or trials bike for sure. I don't think I would put my GS on the back of a camper even if it was on a trailer, I'll just make the trip with the GS all together instead.

Liked by: Ally

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2020  ·  #20
I have a TDM 850 but I think the scooter suits the MH better. We just potter around on the scooter and its handier for towns and cities. It will do about 55/60 top speed if needed. On a small twisty road it is as much fun as the big bike

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2020  ·  #21
Quote by TommyS

I have a TDM 850 but I think the scooter suits the MH better. We just potter around on the scooter and its handier for towns and cities. It will do about 55/60 top speed if needed. On a small twisty road it is as much fun as the big bike

I had more fun on the MSX125 than I did on my Fireblade!

Liked by: TommyS

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2020  ·  #22
Quote by Ally

Quote by TommyS

I had more fun on the MSX125 than I did on my Fireblade!

In public roads, that's usually the case where less powered/agiles bikes tend to be more fun than sports bikes, especially for the average rider.

The most fun I ever had with my old R6 was went I went to the track, I moved to an MT09 which has more torque down load and much more usable on the street but still in order to properly load up the suspension on either braking or acceleration to get the most of it, you'll be doing questionable speeds.

That's why I always kept my GS and kept changing the second bike and finally decided to just keep the GS, much more suited for our roads, perfect for exploring the country side and more than enough power to have fun on the twisties and cruise with comfort. Yeah, I know it doesn't really fit the bill of small less powered bike, but you know what I mean :D

Liked by: Ally, TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2020  ·  #23
Like Ally the most fun I had was on my Honda 90. We rode/wobbled and weaved around some small roads in Donegal. We even rode it back to the campsite with a flat tyre. 50mph on the straight 50 mph in the bends and 50mph up the driveway

Liked by: Ally, Whelaneil

Ronan6029
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2020  ·  #24
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie here, i originally tweeted Chris and Aaron about this topic. I'm a newbie to motorhoming and biking and was looking for as much information as possible. Some great information there, thanks very much for all this.
Ronan

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, ntg, panda, sprinter

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2020  ·  #25
Quote by Ronan6029

Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie here, i originally tweeted Chris and Aaron about this topic. I'm a newbie to motorhoming and biking and was looking for as much information as possible. Some great information there, thanks very much for all this.
Ronan

@Ronan6029 , welcome to the forum. Lots of information here on all aspects of motorhoming.
Enjoy the craic and hope to meet you along the road at some point.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.