StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

Installing grey water tank

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #1
Looking for a bit of advice, we currently have a Smev sink in our van the outlet from this drains via some convoluted waste hose straight through the floor, see picture of outlet, we then place a Fiamma grey water roller tank under this to catch the water that comes out.

As you can imagine this is an absolute pain in the *** most of the time, if the ground isn't level the tank either can't fit under the van or the pipe is too far from the tank, I have lost count of the amount of times I've forgotten about it and tried to drive over it and emptying is a nightmare especially in aires etc. it can look suspiciously like we are emptying our toilet. Recently we have taken to replacing the tank with a collapsible bucket and emptying as we go but again its not ideal.

So I've decided to fit a proper grey water tank and have got a tank that is shaped to fit nicely over the rear wheel arch. See picture with tank and fittings supplied. My big concern now is to actually fit it correctly to avoid smells coming back into the van.
I was going to run the waste hose I currently have to the top of the tank clamping it on the way to form a u bend. I presume the tank needs some form of vent from the top/overflow pipe. Would it be ok to bring this out of the top of the tank and then down through the floor. Would this provide enough venting?
Finally there is a drain point on the bottom of the tank, my plan would be to run this through a 12v motorised valve with a switch mounted in the cab so that when at a drive over drain it would just be a case of flicking a switch when positioned correctly. I have ordered a 1/2" motorised valve but I'm beginning to think this might be too narrow. Is it likely to get clogged by sediment in the tank or does this tend to get broken down by driving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Installing grey water tank

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #2
Not being an expert I would change the corrugated pipe for smooth and try and fit a proper u bend in so you could access it in case it got blocked. The rest sounds ok

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #3
Thanks, unfortunately I don't think I have the space for a proper u bend. The outlet from the sink is only 25mm and has the connection for the corrugated hose. The fridge is just below this and the pipe only just clears the top of it. The route to the tank is very tight so conventional pipework won't work. My plan was once I had the pipe in the garage area under the fixed bed I would form a u bend with it. I could possibly use two 90 degree pipe connectors to do this so that the U is removable. Would this work or would it just be unnecessary restrictions in the pipe?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #4
Have you room under the floor on the outside?
There is a UK based company than supply many different shapes/sizes and dimensions.
I think a 1/2 valve for water disposal is too small, also the electronic ones have a very small orifice for water to travel through, more designed for a pumped clean supply. A 1” stainless Lever steel gate Valve works well. Most motorhomes grey drain valves are manually operated anyway.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #5
Our freshwater tank is mounted underneath the van in this area. Plus it would need to then come back into the van to get to the waste tank.

The threaded outlet at the bottom of the tank is a 1/2" outlet. Would it make sense to increase the diameter of the pipe to 1" out of this if it is already restricted at the outlet?

I have the valve on it's way from China anyway so might give it a go with the fitting that is there. I can always drill a bigger hole if it doesn't work.

My biggest concern is the venting, how big does the vent need to be and is it ok to run it out of top of the tank and then down through the floor. I had read that the vent should go to the roof but I'm not sure about this as there would be no overflow. Are there specific vents for this or is a pipe connection sufficient?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #6
The vent does not need to be big. Add a bulk head compression fitted at top of tank if required and route the vent pipe down through the floor. A flexible 8mm pipe is sufficent. It is only to allow the tank to expel air while filling and allow it to breath while being emptied.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #7
Great thanks for that I actually have one of those fittings that came with the tank, I thought it would be too small. Also have the hose from a condensing dryer that fits it so can use that.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Installing grey water tank

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #8
I'd be running with JJF on this, fit the biggest outlet now piped to the side or rear with a 1" valve. form a U bend where ever you can and have access to it for cleaning . use one of the fittings shown from the brightest point for a vent and bring it outside with the drainage pipe. if your tank gets full to overflow you will spot it.
I carry about 1mtr hose with a fitting to screw into the waste valve in case I cant get close to the ground drain, it also helps to drain into a bucket or drum in case I'm static and don't want to move to empty the gray water .

Liked by: JJF

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.