new parking facilites

emmet78
Subject:

new parking facilites

· 
Posted: 27.04.2020  ·  #1
Hi I am new here, i am looking for some advise my family are in the process of setting up a site for motor homes to park as we have noticed the local council have blocked a lot of places where motor homes used to park in our area. I would appreciate any advise on facilities and services that are essential and anything that would set our facility apart or encourage people to stay.

I realise it is probably frowned upon to be advertising buisness on here so if I have broken any rules I am really sorry.

Regards
Emmet

Liked by: Ally, denbo, Irishbee, panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: new parking facilites

· 
Posted: 27.04.2020  ·  #2
If its solely for motorhomes then an aire type of facility is OK.
Requires:
fresh water
Toilet emptying facilities.
Drive over grey water drain.
Hard standing to park on
Electricity can be supplied at additional cost, a 6a supply is OK.

Where in the country are they based?
Are they setting up beside Or close to a facility that offers ‘similar’ Services (campsite)?
Is in an area that attracts people? Tourist area?
Is there a pub/restaurant or attractions close by?

Good luck with the venture should they decide to go ahead with it.
Welcome to motorhome Craic, enjoy the stay.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2020  ·  #3
Firstly you should check if planning permission is required for a change of use of the land as you would not want to invest in an aire to find out it cannot be used. Generally it is hard to get planning permission for a new campsite but an aire is for parking of vehicles Not camping so should be easier and it could be something councillors and the local community support.

Below is a list of things I’d look for in selecting an aire;
Easy access getting to and onto the aire.
Walking distance to, pub/restaurant, near the sea,lake, river or other scenic spot, good for walking a dog.
The aire needs to have flat level parking areas big enough for motor homes.
The parking surface should be something that I won’t get stuck on which probably rules out grass in Ireland unless there is excellent drainage.
I want to be able to fill up with fresh water, empty used water (drive over drain for grey water), empty my black water i.e. toilet cassette so a connection to the main sewer will probably be needed.
I would prefer it to be quiet at night and have some shelter from prevailing winds.
Possibly some lighting at night and feel secure.
Electric not needed but some would prefer it.

emmet78
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2020  ·  #4
Quote by JJF

If its solely for motorhomes then an aire type of facility is OK.
Requires:
fresh water
Toilet emptying facilities.
Drive over grey water drain.
Hard standing to park on
Electricity can be supplied at additional cost, a 6a supply is OK.

Where in the country are they based?
Are they setting up beside Or close to a facility that offers ‘similar’ Services (campsite)?
Is in an area that attracts people? Tourist area?
Is there a pub/restaurant or attractions close by?

Good luck with the venture should they decide to go ahead with it.
Welcome to motorhome Craic, enjoy the stay.

Thank you for your advise,
They are based in Wexford 10 mins from Rosslare Europort, There is a pub that serves food very close by and also alot of tourist attractions in the general area.

emmet78
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2020  ·  #5
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Firstly you should check if planning permission is required for a change of use of the land as you would not want to invest in an aire to find out it cannot be used. Generally it is hard to get planning permission for a new campsite but an aire is for parking of vehicles Not camping so should be easier and it could be something councillors and the local community support.

Below is a list of things I’d look for in selecting an aire;
Easy access getting to and onto the aire.
Walking distance to, pub/restaurant, near the sea,lake, river or other scenic spot, good for walking a dog.
The aire needs to have flat level parking areas big enough for motor homes.
The parking surface should be something that I won’t get stuck on which probably rules out grass in Ireland unless there is excellent drainage.
I want to be able to fill up with fresh water, empty used water (drive over drain for grey water), empty my black water i.e. toilet cassette so a connection to the main sewer will probably be needed.
I would prefer it to be quiet at night and have some shelter from prevailing winds.
Possibly some lighting at night and feel secure.

Electric not needed but some would prefer it.

Thank you for your reply your advise is very helpful, we have some work to do yet to get the site ready for business, hopefully we will get open this summer.

Liked by: adria, Davy, eirebus, JJF, ntg, panda, sprinter, TippOff, Whelaneil, +deleted user

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2020  ·  #6
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2020  ·  #7
Being from Wexford myself, I might guess where you are, but would just say, think about accessibility. If the road is very narrow or winding, you won’t get much passing trade. If you are near the main road, and the price is right, you could do really well with ferry traffic, both going out, and coming in. Best of luck

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.