TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Insurance

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #1
I just got an email from Admiral Insurance stating that because of fewer claims they are going to refund £25 per vehicle. As I have 2 cars insurance that's £50. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I wonder will our MH insurance companies do the same

Liked by: Ally, ntg, panda, sootyrex

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Insurance

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #2
Checks calendar for April 1st....

An insurance company giving back money! Bloody hell! The world has changed.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, panda

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #3
My insurance company rang me last week about my camper renewal .they were not happy about me saying I'll not bother till this madness is over. He went on a rant about having it even if its sitting in the garden incase of fire and that I will have to set up a new business policy at 35 euro extra 🤔🤔🤔 . I still said I'm not bothered about renewing just yet

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #4
Quote by cowboy70

My insurance company rang me last week about my camper renewal .they were not happy about me saying I'll not bother till this madness is over. He went on a rant about having it even if its sitting in the garden incase of fire and that I will have to set up a new business policy at 35 euro extra 🤔🤔🤔 . I still said I'm not bothered about renewing just yet

True to your name, you're indeed a cowboy :D

Just kidding!

It's a low-ish risk, but a risk non the less. We were discussing the same thing in another forum, motorcycle related, and the fact that we don't know how long this is going to be it means that you don't know how much money you'll be saving, so it's difficult to measure how much you're saving compared to how much you're risking.

I suppose with motorcycles the "theft" factor is higher that with a MH, myself... I'll keep my things insured and hope for a small refund if any (gov seems to be pushing that way).

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter, TippOff, TommyS, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #5
I just renewed mine recently, it's not that expensive and as soon as we get the all clear we'll be out the gate like a shot 😁

Liked by: baguette, panda, TommyS

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #6
Told them not to renew mine in May. They were understanding.

We do storage here, if I can't keep my own van secure then I shouldn't really be doing it :lol:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2020  ·  #7
Quote by cowboy70

He went on a rant about having it even if its sitting in the garden incase of fire and that I will have to set up a new business policy at 35 euro extra.

That bloody spontaneous combustion, it's got a lot of people in the past. <_<

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Insurance

· 
Posted: 23.04.2020  ·  #8
I had an interesting conversion with Dolman's.
Your campervan policy is due for renewal in June and we would welcome the opportunity to look after you again for the coming year 
We will be issuing you your renewal invitation to this recorded email address shortly rather than the usual by post.
This will give you access to a link to our website which will provide you with the following: 
Policy wordings“What to do guides” including Broken down? how to access the breakdown assistance serviceI’ve been involved in an accident, what do I do?How do I make a claim?Helpful information for you and your campervanSeasonal informationRenew your policy onlineRequest changes to your policy
The quickest and easiest way to renew your policy and get your renewal documents will be on line. Simply follow the link provided when you receive your renewal notification.

Once again thanks for insuring with us.
 My reply.

Thanks for that.

At this stage I'm thinking of deferring the renewal untill later in the year when there may be a possibility  of useing the van again and since its safely parked up, at time I dont see the logic of paying out for insurance and when financially, it would be better to seperate our various tax and car policies which all seem to fall around the same time.
Best regards.

The Return.
Thank you for your email.
Please be advised that your renewal is 23rd June 2020.
If you’re not going to be using your camper for a long time, you can cancel the policy for a pro-rata refund.

"However when you want to use the camper again, you will have to take out a new policy and re-submit all required documentation."

Kind Regards,
My answer
Why?.

The Return.
The reason being as it will be a new policy. However, we will make it as easy as possible for you to take out a new policy if this is the case.

Kind Regards
My answer.

Its an odd way to treat customers at this time, especially when some insurance company's are talking about giving refunds because of government suggestions and the lack of use, and when everything else to to with motoring is put on hold for a time.

An offer of suspension of policy for thoes who would  benefit from it would be more in line with good customer relations.

If we have the threat of having to go for a new policy, more benefits may be got with others, as you will not even recognize MHCC for a discount that you offer other clubs 

The reply.
Unfortunately at the moment there is nothing in place. This is due to the camper premiums being lower than most motor policies. This could change and we will let you know if this does happen.

Please note the camper can be used for social domestic and pleasure purposes not just holidays and weekends away.

Kind regards.

The last bit is very interesting, is that not the very wording used on our car policy's ?.
Would that not mean you could use it the same as your car ,for going back and forward to work ?.
I'm have still not decided. On the renual but i will look for new quotes.

Liked by: JJF, panda, ROBANDSUE, TommyS

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2020  ·  #9
You might feel you want to cancel the policy, but as said you will be required to start a new policy when you want to get back on the road. IIRC there is something about windscreen cover now being limited but old policies have unlimited windscreen cover and there may be other hidden losses on new business versus old existing policies.

Another option is to suspend the policy (not cancel) or reduce the cover to fire & theft only. When we go away for a few months I reduce the cover on our cars to fire & theft only and get a nice few Euro of a refund as most of the risk/cost arrises from the third party claims area.

Liked by: panda, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2020  ·  #10
Please note the camper can be used for social domestic and pleasure purposes not just holidays and weekends away.

That's an interesting thing for them to say , you could cancel your car insurance

Liked by: sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2020  ·  #11
It's a downer having the van sitting in the drive and going nowhere, but I wouldn't sleep easy with it not insured... o.O

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #12
My Dolmen policy used to expire in May when we were usually abroad. With the potential for brexit while we would be out of the country I could not get a green card to cover the whole trip.

I asked if I could alter, shorten or extend my policy to a more suitable date (March). This was not possible. I had to cancel and start a completely new policy jumping through all the hoops. To be fair I got a good refund without admin costs and a free green card, so this seems to be a standard procedure.

Also be aware that a policy with Dolmen is purely for social, domestic and pleasure. If you check the comparison sites for car insurance there is the option of commuting to a single place of work being added to the SD&P. I am not sure about in the south but there have been documented cases in England of individuals being prosecuted for commuting on an S,D&P policy. I suspect an insurance company would refuse to pay in the event of an accident if commuting came to their attention.

Davy

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #13
Comuting is part of domestic, you're going to work,or you couldn't pay your insurance bill

Liked by: panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.