Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Mobile broadband

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #1
I'm thinking about changing the Broadband service at home. Currently we have a contract with Ripplecom for a fixed broadband connection in the house. We're living out in the sticks so we have a little flat panel antenna on the side of the house pointed at the nearest BB transmitter mast. This is wired to a wifi router which serves all of the gadgets in the house. Computers, ipad, iphone, wifi printer, etc.

The current subscription is pretty poor with 'up to' 2mb download speed and 40G usage limit @ €38.99 per month. I've never seen it anywhere near 2mb... It typically hovers around >1mb.

I'm thinking about ditching ripplecom and changing to a mobile broadband provider like Three or O2. My iphone is on the o2 network and most times I can get a pretty good 3G internet service on my phone in certain parts of the house. On occasions when ripplecom was offline I was able to hook my laptop to the iphone and use the iphone as a hotspot, but the download speeds weren't great, so all in all I'm a little unsure. I'm a bit technophobic when it comes to internet, so be gentle!

What's the best way to go about setting up a system for home that could also potentially be used in the camper?

Can the mobile systems handle multiple users?

This is the kind of thing I'm looking at -

http://shop.three.ie/catalogue…70/T010019

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Mobile broadband

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #2
the mifi from 3 would be a good way as it acts as a wireless router for all the devices, you just need to know what the coverage is around you and look at getting the largest download limit as mobile operators are expensive when you go ever the limit. I have heard that 3 allows for those living in the "South" to roam without extra charges IIRC its called "just like home" which would allow you to take it with you in the MH

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #3
As John says the MiFi is ideal for this, all depending on your coverage. My broadband was down for a week and I was using the Hotspot on the phone with o2, when I had unlimited downloads, it was faster than my Broadband!

So depending on coverage and limits it could be a winner. Have a read of THIS

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #4
Thanks.

Three.ie seems to be the better option for us from what I've read so far. With two 'music & media' hungry teens in our house, we're using up all of the 40GB data allowance of our current provider, so we'll take that 60GB that Three are offering with thanks... None of the other networks I've found so far have that data capacity on offer.

I'm just wondering what the download speeds will be. I've send an email to Three asking if they offer trial units out to potential customers so I can verify the service they offer is equal to or better than our current service provider...

The interactive map thay have on their website tells me I have good coverage, but I'm sceptical.

At €30.49 per month for the 60GB package, it would be a cost saving for us if the download speeds are ok. And it appears I can hub through our existing wifi router with this device so that'd be minimum hassle too...

Added bonus if I can take it away camping, or in the motorhome when we get that project finished.

I'm interested to see if they'll send out a loaner, worthwhile asking anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained...

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #5
Easy option :-)

Get someone with a 3 mobile and invite them to your house see how their connection is :)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.11.2012  ·  #6
I used to have a 3 dongle/modem thing but I was searching last week for it and another O2 one and all I could find was the empty box, the gremlins have been at my sacred cupboard :lol:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.