eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Batteries

· 
Posted: 27.03.2020  ·  #1
It's probably a good idea to disconnect your Vans from the mains or solar charging systems as continuous charging and non use can damage batteries especially ones with older charging systems, charge for a day every few weeks rather than leave on all the time

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Batteries

· 
Posted: 27.03.2020  ·  #2
Quote by eirebus

It's probably a good idea to disconnect your Vans from the mains or solar charging systems as continuous charging and non use can damage batteries especially ones with older charging systems, charge for a day every few weeks rather than leave on all the time

All 'decent' battery chargers are smart three-stage. There is a fourth stage called Equalisation but that's another story
Stage 1 | Bulk Charge
Stage 2 | Absorption Charge
Stage 3 | Float Charge which keeps the battery at approximately 13.5v - 13.8v

Chargers with a Stage 3 can be left continuously connected and they ensure the battery remains in a fully charged (not overcharged) condition and ready for its next use.

If the voltage climbs over 13.8v then the charger is not 'smart' three-stage or it's knackered.
After a day, or two at the most, when the battery should be definitely fully charged the input amps should have dropped to less than 1% of the battery capacity because the battery is 'full'. If the amps remain over that reading either there is a parasitic load or one or more of the cells in one of the batteries is knackered this can be confirmed if the battery feels a bit warm to the touch.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2020  ·  #3
http://www.aandncaravanservice…-or-no.php

makes interesting reading on the subject,especially re the float charge { stage 3 }

Liked by: panda, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2020  ·  #4
Set your solar regulator to 13.2 volts, when Motorhome is idle for extended periods. This is the correct procedure to limit damage to your batteries.

Liked by: panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2020  ·  #5
Quote by eirebus

makes interesting reading on the subject,especially re the float charge { stage 3 }

A massive article.
Let me report my real world experience.
My MH is permanently on ehu when parked at home.
The original pair of Varta batteries lasted over 7 years.
The replacement Banner lasted 6 years, should have lasted longer but a bad memory (I forgot to check electrolyte levels) combined with the fast charging from the B2B and a French heatwave caused them to dry out (each took a litre of water🙄) and die😭.
The starter battery which is permanently monitored and gets up to 4amp when necessary lasted 14 years.

Liked by: glastry

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2020  ·  #6
I have my solar MPPT regulator set on the Gel setting which I think is 13.2 v but I normally but a some lights on a couple of days a week to keep the batteries working if not away anywhere.

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2020  ·  #7
Quote by eirebus

Thats a scary prospect of a battery exploding/catching fire in the motorhome o.O

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.