· 
Posted: 08.03.2020  ·  #1
Krispyjet
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: Coronavirus

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #2
Washing your hands and keep everything disinfected would still be the best prevention.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #3
We were thinking the same thing.... although the holiday to France is cancelled, we can still avail of plenty of Ireland breaks. The benefit of a motorhome holiday is that the van is, in effect, a mobile self-isolation unit.
We're all virtually self-sufficient when away, and can decide how much, or how little, we contact others!
Obviously, the same would apply in France, but we were more concerned about the possibility of a virus outbreak during the 18 hour voyage.... imagine being quarantined for two weeks on the Oscar Wilde?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #4
Quote by tony glenn

We were thinking the same thing.... although the holiday to France is cancelled, we can still avail of plenty of Ireland breaks. The benefit of a motorhome holiday is that the van is, in effect, a mobile self-isolation unit.
We're all virtually self-sufficient when away, and can decide how much, or how little, we contact others!
Obviously, the same would apply in France, but we were more concerned about the possibility of a virus outbreak during the 18 hour voyage.... imagine being quarantined for two weeks on the Oscar Wilde?

Fair play to you Tony for cancelling France and thinking of others. I had this very same chat with a Motorhomer yesterday evening who felt that younger people were so selfish taking foreign holidays here there and everywhere not giving a thought for elderly or compromised people so they could have a couple weeks holiday not giving a dam if other people live or die due to their action. I don’t Know if I feel that strongly but I think he might have a point all the same. Personally I have family with Cancer, cystic Fibrosis and lung disease and don’t want to loose them to the virus. I myself was in quarantine in 2009 after returning from work in Arizona during the bird flu scare and I can tell you it is not funny.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #5
I think it’s a waiting game at the minute. We will wait until closer to the time and see what the situation is then. It might have fizzled out, or, it might be so rampant that it won’t matter where you are or where you go

Liked by: Eyore

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #6
Quote by Daffysparks

I think it’s a waiting game at the minute. We will wait until closer to the time and see what the situation is then. It might have fizzled out, or, it might be so rampant that it won’t matter where you are or where you go

True David but it would be foolish not to do your best to protect yourself and loved ones. I don’t think we will have to wait too long, two days the st Patrick day parades were going ahead and now they are pulled, this thing is steamrolling ahead. Look at the speed it is spreading on the continent. Don’t get me wrong I am only quoting what was said to me yesterday but I didn’t have any ammunition to argue with what he was saying, after all we are talking about human lives, not having a foreign holiday won’t kill you but it could kill someone else.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, ColinM, davetherave, JMAC, johnnymac, sprinter, valjon, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #7
Quote by Daffysparks

, it might be so rampant that it won’t matter where you are or where you go

True David but it might be better to have it at home than somewhere in Europe where you aren't fluent in the lingo

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #8
Tbh I’d have more faith in the French or Spanish health system, than ours.

Liked by: jacktherev

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #9
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #10
Could be us in a fortnight 😱

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Coronavirus

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #11
Great to see leadership with Balls for a change

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #12
This was sent to my nephews friend in Australia, two months ago by a Chinese doctor that he knows.

" You must have read in the news about the novel corona-virus situation in China. My city is fine. There are only limited cases of infection. 47 cases up til now. But most young doctors even surgeons/nurses/ambulance drivers/undertakers have already left or are leaving for WUHAN where approximately 100,000 people were already infected, and the number is doubling every 14 days. Over 1000 doctors/nurses were already infected. They need their peer. China passed a law overnight to allow doctors/nurses whose licensed expired over the last 10 years because of retirement to work again now. There are only silver heads in hospitals in my city now. I am a registered pharmacist; I am 44 years old and I need to fulfil my duty now. I am undergoing training about the novel coronavirus and I might leave for WUHAN any time now."

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #13
Quote by tony glenn

The benefit of a motorhome holiday is that the van is, in effect, a mobile self-isolation unit.

There is a reason why TV shows choose motorhomes or RVs as the vehicle of choice when there is a zombie apocalypse or need to isolate yourself from society like in the Walking Dead or Breaking Bad! 6 months of toilet roll would not eat into your payload much 😬.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, panda, PaulH, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #14
Quote by sprinter

Afraid not,too late it's already got hold, like here, it's arrived, authorities allowed it in didn't quarantine Italian flights, we're a small island ffs easily quarantined but save €50 and spend€4 billion on the fix

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

True Martin but it is a pity it took them a month or so to grow them, then again hindsight is a great thing. On the other hand people here on the site weren’t taking it serious only a few days ago, any Government taking it serious wouldn’t be very popularly when the citizens of the country aren’t taking it serious and supporting them.

Liked by: willie

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #16
You seem to have more restrictions in place than here in u.k.
Mostly just wash your hands. Nothing about crowds...

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #17
This is worrying

It's a thread on twitter, for those who cannot see it, It's pasted below. It does go on to 20 posts.

1/ I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of. #COVID19 #coronavirus

2/ This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

4/ I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activitieswere interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

5/ All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

8/ The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

10/ the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

12/ Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #18
My aunt is a Sister in Daisy Hill and my other halfs nan is a Nurse in the Ulster Hospital, I've heard countless stories about what the staff deal with and how hard it is in busy times, this is going to be something our NHS as a whole and local hospitals are not going to be able to deal with.

If we go down the same road and numbers as these regions of Italy are seeing, we're f***ed.

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #19
Quote by MerlinTheMotorhome

This is worrying

It's a thread on twitter, for those who cannot see it, It's pasted below. It does go on to 20 posts.

1/ I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of. #COVID19 #coronavirus

2/ This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

4/ I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activitieswere interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

5/ All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

8/ The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

10/ the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

12/ Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

What country is this referring to? I don’t use Twitter, can it be trusted, we are getting so much information from ever direction and not sure what to believe anymore, but what I do believe it is spreading at a phenomenal rate and we need to pull our heads out of the sand, take it seriously and take every precaution we can.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #20
People should not be looking to social media for accuarate information.

Liked by: eirebus

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #21
Quote by airhead_eire

People should not be looking to social media for accuarate information.

:lol:

or... the internet :)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #22
I was talking to a Dr today in the hospital and he was telling me that they expect it to peak the week before Easter.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #23
Italy Pat. They recorded 168 deaths in a single day. Shocking.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #24
Quote by jacktherev

I was talking to a Dr today in the hospital and he was telling me that they expect it to peak the week before Easter.

Gone by May. Exactly as reported.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #25
Not gone by May according to the BBC and I would trust that source more than any. Models suggest there may be a second peak in the Autumn and then it may just keep circulating like other Flu.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #26
Quote by CHAUSSON

What country is this referring to? I don’t use Twitter, can it be trusted, we are getting so much information from ever direction and not sure what to believe anymore, but what I do believe it is spreading at a phenomenal rate and we need to pull our heads out of the sand, take it seriously and take every precaution we can.

Italy, He's a Doctor in Italy - Dr. Daniele Macchini

And as sad as it is, it's real and this Doctors account of what is really going on is now hitting the main stream news.

SkyNews - Stop saying it's a bad flu' - Doctor fighting Italy outbreak shares dramatic account - Italian doctor says fighting covid-19 outbreak is like a War.

HuffPost

The independent

The Telegraph

The Washington Post

Cannot see it on the Tory-BBC yet, but then lets be honest, Prime Minister Cummings is fighting this with an economic mindset.

Liked by: Ally, norma

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #27
Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #28
Quote by panda

Ever since this bloody virus I used to cough in public to hide a fart, now I'm farting to hide a cough :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #29
Quote by panda

I used to cough in public to hide a fart, now I'm farting to hide a cough :P

That can be your next signature John 🤣

Liked by: panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #30
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by panda

I used to cough in public to hide a fart, now I'm farting to hide a cough :P

That can be your next signature John 🤣

😁

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #31
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #32
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2020  ·  #33
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #34
(copied) This morning's update - a number of countries are now preventing British Nationals from entering or are requiring them to self isolate for 14 days upon arrival, this is the up to date list -
Czech Republic

Italy

Argentina

Tunisia

Philipines

Croatia

North Cyprus

Slovakia

Israel

Lebanon

India has suspended all visas so entry is not possible.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #35
Cheers for that Martin. I do think the myth about drinking water has been busted however. We need to be careful about misinformation and fake news especially at this time.

Liked by: sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #36
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #37
Another Angry Voice: https://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/

Yesterday ITV reported that the favoured Tory Covid-19 strategy was to allow the British public to develop "herd immunity".

In the absence of a Covid-19 vaccine this is a terrifying proposal: Mass exposure to the virus so people develop immunity to the strain, in the hope that it doesn't just keep mutating into new strains like the flu and common cold do (incidentally - the more people who get exposed, the more likely Covid-19 mutates into a new strain that's immune to previously acquired resistance).

Mass exposure undoubtedly means mass death (not just from the virus itself, but amongst other critically ill people who are crowded out of the health system), and Johnson was shockingly upfront about it when he warned the British public about the loss of their loved ones later in the day.

If the virus is allowed to spread to the point that the public acquire herd immunity, that would have to mean something like 90% exposure. With a death rate of somewhere around 2%-4%, that would require somewhere between 1.2 to 2.4 million deaths!

This strategy is completely out of step with the Asian countries that have contained the exponential spread of the virus, and with all of our European neighbours who have brought in measures like school closures, travel restrictions, and sports shut downs.

What the Tories are doing is playing another massive high stakes public policy gamble with potentially even more serious ramifications than their 2016 Brexit gamble.

If their gable pays off it means the virus will continue spreading across the world, with mass deaths in every country, but Britain will have avoided some of the more severe economic disruption experienced by other countries with stricter containment strategies.

If the gamble fails and Britain suffers mass deaths, while other countries manage to contain the crisis, or at least delay the worst of the carnage until after a vaccine is developed, then the losses will be extraordinary.

First of all hundreds of thousands of people will have needlessly died as a result of this Tory "herd immunity" strategy, but the economic losses could be absolutely enormous too.

Imagine other countries manage to contain the virus, but it runs wild in the UK and a few other nations led by hard-right 'let the vulnerable die' eugenicists.

It would obviously be in the other countries interests to prevent virus riddled British people keep reinfecting their populations.

We'd be looking at a travel ban to keep the virus in Britain and the other countries that decided to let the virus run wild.

And amazingly this isn't even the worst case scenario. The worst case is that by letting the virus run through the population in an effort to develop herd immunity, the nation is turned into a breeding ground for mutant strains of the virus that can potentially reinfect everyone all over again, making the UK an absolute pariah-state.

Combined with the economic impact of all the deaths, the implications of becoming a virus-ridden pariah state are obviously far worse than the potential economic savings of delaying/avoiding economically disruptive containment measures.

In gambling terms it looks like the Tories are staking a vast sum on a bet with extremely short odds, meaning if they win they profit by a tiny fraction of the stake, but if they lose, they deliver not only mass deaths and NHS breakdown, but an economic crisis vastly larger than the economic disruption they're seeking to avoid.

The really sad thing about this is that we all knew something like this was a possibility with the Tories in charge.

We know the Tories are prepared to let tens of thousands die as a result of their policies after their wanton cuts to the NHS and social care systems pushed huge numbers of people into early graves over the last decade.

We also know that they're prone to taking massively risky public policy gambles, because of the way they allowed a Brexit referendum when the Brexiteers hadn't even drawn up a plan for how to leave if they actually won.

We knew dangerous gambling, economic chaos, and unnecessary deaths were very serious risks when we reelected the Tories once again, but presumably those of us who voted for them considered these risks "a price worth paying" in return for whatever (probably imaginary) benefit they thought they'd be getting from Tories continuing to run the country.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #38
If that’s true it is outrageous. I am shocked Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead and other such gatherings. This is all about flattening the curve. That’s the WHO policy. The UK surely has to follow suit.

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #39
I don’t think the government made the decision, more so the highly qualified scientists but in any case it may be a wrong or right decision

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Coronavirus

· 
Posted: 13.03.2020  ·  #40
Quote by The Rambler

Cheers for that Martin. I do think the myth about drinking water has been busted however. We need to be careful about misinformation and fake news especially at this time.

Jason. It was in the wrong post it was ment to go under Floods and other things I did not take it seriously, because although some may be correct the whole thing doesn't ring true

Liked by: The Rambler

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.