hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #1
How long should a leisure battery last when fully charged please.

Have been having problems for a while now.
Example
Plugged into ehu for 7 days. Then taken on wild camp. Had condenser fridge on 1 and led light on at night. Used heating on gas. Used water pump usual amount for washing up etc. Evening of day 2, battery low alarm came on. Started engine for 20 mins and got a bit more out of it but alarm went off about 9pm. Battery has been tested couple of weeks ago and given ok, but I think I need a new one.
I would welcome advice please.
Also what amp one is best for wild camping please.
Thanks.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Leisure battery

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #2
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #3
Ive no idea how long a battery would last on a condensor fridge, but I wouldn't of thought it should be any longer than what you are getting. Most people fit 110AH and then usually two of them.

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #4
Thanks. I'll have a read of Davy's info. Unfortunately we only have room for one battery - small camper conversion

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #5
Looks like the compressor fridge is drawing a lot of amps. Considering we only use it for milk and cheese mainly, I may think of replacing it with a regular one. It was newly put in by previous owner, think it cost about stg£500, but perhaps not the best choice for our needs.

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #6
A lot of the craicers have solar si.e of them might be able to advise. I think would cost a lot to replace the fridge

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #7
Quote by Davy

This might give a little guidance on power consumption, especially if you have had the battery checked recently.

http://www.aandncaravanservice…ge-12v.php

Davy

Excellent info there Davy, thank you.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #8
Is the gas heater a fan heater, if so the fan would use a good bit of juice. Compressor fridges are generally quite efficient especially at this time of the year and on a low setting.

If it is a fan heater check where the outlets are as it could be blowing at the fridge.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Leisure Battery

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #9
Battery will be the likely issue. But best test the current draw. I have had leisure batteries test ok but still no good a proper leisure battery tests different than a starter battery.
The batteries have only so many discharge cycles.this is surprisingly low. Fully charged battery ith no load should be about 12.7 volts when 12 volts is reached it needs recharged at 14.4 volts. The difficulty often is they are charged at less often 13.8v reducing the life. If you can get a deep cycle traction battery it will last much longer. Think motorhome craic possibly has a discount deal with Battery World. I'm sure someone will clarify that. Think I would keep the fridge you have . they are very efficient any only run a short time to reach the temperature required. You could consider a battery to battery charger Stirling power manufacture them thay will ensure that you only have a proper charged battery when you stop. This is a bigger issue in euro 6 engines.

Liked by: hector2015, TommyS

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #10
What is the power consumption rating of the fridge? The spec. should say something like 40Ah consumption over 24 hours at ambient temperature 25 degrees. You didn’t mention the Ah rating of your battery, i.e. the capacity in Amp-hours. But if we assume it is 110Ah for the sake of argument, and that your fridge is running at 30Ah consumption over 24 hours then you will get about 2 days on the battery as you don’t want to discharge the battery below 50% capacity. That might be acceptable for a lot of campers but if you could double up on battery it would be better.

If not, then why bother running the fridge for just milk and cheese? Fridges are very well insulated so make very good cool boxes. You could just stick a bag of ice in there to keep you going for a while.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #11
As Tommy has mentioned on his comment... solar will be a big benefit. We run 2x 110ah batteries and a 160w solar panel and a dual MPPT controller. We’ve done 2 weeks without EHU no problem, more on previous trips. Both our 2 leisure batteries and the starter battery are fully charged by mid-day the next morning and we do use quite a bit of power on TV’s/lights/pump etc.,... may be worth thinking about.

Liked by: TommyS

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #12
Thank you all for your sound advice and suggestions.
The spec of the fridge is
Energy consumption – Kwh/24H : Day Mode 0.45 – Night mode 0.35
No of days on 95Ah Battery: Day Mode 3.5 – Night mode 2.5

Input current at 12v: Day Mode 4amp – Night Mode 2amp
So it makes sense that it's drawing down the battery

We have solar panel but only room for one battery as it's only a small camper conversion. I want to get deep cycle one that will fit.

Great idea to get coolbox, particularly for our short trips.

I never considered that the fan on the heater could be using energy, silly me, and it does come on and off according to the thermostat.

Lots to take on board, folks, thanks again 👍👍

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #13
0.45 kWh/24h converts to about 35Ah per day by my calculations, which is consistent with about 2 days use on a single battery. You should see improvement in summertime from the solar input.

Liked by: hector2015

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #14
In their calculations they are in laboratory conditions, similar to the mpg your car manufacturer gives you. Have you ever achieved that. It’s a nonsense. If you get 2 days running your standard sized fridge out of one 95 AH battery, along with everything else, you could consider yourself lucky.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #15
When you say you use the heating on gas (plus 12v fan), how long?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2020  ·  #16
Slightly off topic, but relevant I think. Ok I have an absorption fridge freezer. Large. I also, this time of year, turn on my gas heating,Air blown, when I arrive for a weekend somewhere. Usually off grid, as in no ehu. I do whatever I need for the weekend. I leave the heating on pretty much full time, unless I’m away from the van for most of the day, I have two 75 Ah batteries and 180 watt of solar. I never have an issue. IMO a fridge that operates on gas is one of, if not the most important thing, along with a sog type toilet
And a second cassette, if you are off grid. On my own I can get 11-12 days without any services. With two of us can still get 5 and occasionally 6 days.

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Mark&Wendy

When you say you use the heating on gas (plus 12v fan), how long?

Maybe 3 hours but sometimes have heating on 2 overnight and it cuts in and out if temps drop very low.

Liked by: Mark&Wendy

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2020  ·  #18
My gas blown heater draws 1.4A, which is mostly fan consumption. If that was running continuously over 24 hours then you are looking at 33Ah. But of coarse it doesn’t run that much as it is not used when we’re out and cycles on and off when we’re in. So you could probably expect your heating to be consuming considerably less than the fridge I would think.

Liked by: hector2015, +deleted user

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2020  ·  #19
Quote by The Rambler

My gas blown heater draws 1.4A, which is mostly fan consumption. If that was running continuously over 24 hours then you are looking at 33Ah. But of coarse it doesn’t run that much as it is not used when we’re out and cycles on and off when we’re in. So you could probably expect your heating to be consuming considerably less than the fridge I would think.

Yes indeed, the fridge appears to be the culprit. I will find ways around it.

As always, the wonderful font of knowledge from the members here has really helped me.

Liked by: +deleted user

davidrory

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2020  ·  #20
I run a Waeco compressor fridge box in my van conversion. When not hooked up, the elderly leisure battery will run it 48+ hours - but I do have a 100w solar on the roof and that makes a big difference.

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #21
Quote by davidrory

I run a Waeco compressor fridge box in my van conversion. When not hooked up, the elderly leisure battery will run it 48+ hours - but I do have a 100w solar on the roof and that makes a big difference.

Thanks for reply. I have solar panel also so spring/summer not such an issue, but dark winter days are the problem. Now that I know it's the fridge, I'll come up with a solution - love winter trips☺

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.