money efficient LOGBOOK van to camper conversion

IndependenceFreak
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #1
Hi guys,

I am the owner of a h-roof transit van (worth about 5-6 grand) which I seek to convert into a campervan. Since the 13%+ VRT is in place, would it be more efficient to first do it as cheaply as possible in order to pay as little on the VRT and once its a camper on the logbook, proceed to rip out the build and put in the proper final expensive finish? Has anyone got a ball-park figure of the total cost of doing this cheap build + VRT in their own experience?

My main reason for writing this post is to ask for information/resources/articles/videos or some sort of guides from people who did this before. Since I never have, I am a bit stressed and unsure what will pass and what will not. I want it as cheap as possible to just pass and be recognised as a camper on the logbook.

Also, some sources tell me that I must have a window to register my commercial van as a camper. is this true? I DO NOT want to cut any holes in my van except one on the roof for a fan and that's it.

If I have missed something or not given enough information please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance guys!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #2
Luke. You don't say where your based but in the south the revenue have copped on to that long ago it's not worth doing it twice.

IndependenceFreak
Subject:

Re: money efficient LOGBOOK van to camper conversion

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #3
Quote by sprinter

Luke. You don't say where your based but in the south the revenue have copped on to that long ago it's not worth doing it twice.

I'm from the south. How would they know though?? Even if they know people do it, after its a camper on the logbook and I decide to rebuild it, how can they know/stop me? thanks.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #4
Just wondering, are you the same fella that was trying to get insurance aged under 25. If so how did you fare out.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #5
Quote by IndependenceFreak

Quote by sprinter

I'm from the south. How would they know though?? Even if they know people do it, after its a camper on the logbook and I decide to rebuild it, how can they know/stop me? thanks.

Part because they want t o see receipts for work and parts fitted and they also don't value it on the condition of the inside.they look at the year and see what one the same type conversion is valued at on the market.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #6
Quote by Daffysparks

Just wondering, are you the same fella that was trying to get insurance aged under 25. If so how did you fare out.

I was interested in that too.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2020  ·  #7
I would be interested to know how much difference in VRT would be calculated on a basic conversion compared to a deluxe conversion of same van. I could imagine how the asking price could vary by 10 grand or more on DoneDeal. Surely the VRT would vary a lot too, if based on the open market value.

I don’t see any downside in doing the basics conversion prior to submitting it to Revenue and later finishing it as you would like it. How much money that would save is another matter. If anyone has any experience or thoughts on this, I’d love to hear.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2020  ·  #8
Don't think the savings would be enough for it to be worth the hassle to be honest.

Conversion requirements

The link above has the conversion requirements that revenue need.
So if you were somehow able to do a basic conversion that met the above requirements for €1000-2000 and revenue then valued your van at 7k your VRT bill @13.5% would be €945.

Verses doing a full proper conversion from the start for €10k say giving a total revenue value of €15k which would be a revenue bill of €2025.

If you're planning on ripping out your original cheap build your saving nothing.
The above values are just guestimates though as revenue are likely to value both versions as more than you have spent yourself.

Also from the above link it does look like windows are a requirement.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2020  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

I would be interested to know how much difference in VRT would be calculated on a basic conversion compared to a deluxe conversion of same van. I could imagine how the asking price could vary by 10 grand or more on DoneDeal. Surely the VRT would vary a lot too, if based on the open market value.

I think if you look at what I think of as 3 types of conversion. The first Factory converted. The second is from the people who convert vans as a business. The last is the one converted at home.
The one at home is rarely going to reach the standard of the first but often can be every bit as good as the second. This is what may be looked at the business build can be priced again the factory one.and the home build against the business one, easy for revenue to do and not worth doing a cheepy job in the first place.
I do think it's a pity that a home build is not given a credit for his/her effort and labour, but tax is not fare unless you unless you can afford it.

Liked by: eirebus, The Rambler

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.