France

July 2020

Fordtransit
Subject:

France

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #1
Hi

I am travelling to France in July from Cork to Roscoff. I am hoping to travel down the coast towards Briatzz. I intend to stop off for a few nites in different sites as I travel south. Would I need to book campsites before I travel or would it be fine to just call in when in the area to enquire of availability. I know towards the middle july onwards it gets busy. Any views welcomed

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: France

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #2
In France you will have to book sites in July especially if you have children as sites with child activities will be full

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #3
Quote by Fordtransit

Hi

I am travelling to France in July from Cork to Roscoff. I am hoping to travel down the coast towards Briatzz. I intend to stop off for a few nites in different sites as I travel south. Would I need to book campsites before I travel or would it be fine to just call in when in the area to enquire of availability. I know towards the middle july onwards it gets busy. Any views welcomed

The beauty of motorhoming, especially in France, was that we never had to plan anything. Just drive! That is out motto. France is unlike Galway and very welcoming to motorhomes. Of course it depends what you and your family expect when en route. We, (2 adults, 2 kids) never knew what day 2 had in store, but it was always great, especially in France. Bon Voyage, you lucky sod.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, ntg

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Stacks

Quote by Fordtransit

Hi

The beauty of motorhoming, especially in France, was that we never had to plan anything. Just drive! That is out motto. France is unlike Galway and very welcoming to motorhomes. Of course it depends what you and your family expect when en route. We, (2 adults, 2 kids) never knew what day 2 had in store, but it was always great, especially in France. Bon Voyage, you lucky sod.

I’d be inclined to agree, we have gone July and August and never booked a site. Then again there is only the two of us and we would settle for an Aire. We usually only use sites if there is ACSI discount available in off season. Having said that we were on that new Aire in Roses and it was quite expensive @ €20 if remember correctly and there was a site across the road Road which wasn’t eligible for ACSI discount for another week. I went over to the site looking to buy an electrical adapter and asked them when the ACSI discount was kicking in and the guy said if you come over now I’ll give you the discount and we did, the site had pool, bar & Restaurant etc for the same price as the Aire. I think if you approach sites and you look to be respectful you have a better chance of getting a spot than someone that books online as they have no idea of what kind of client will turn up.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #5
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Stacks

Quote by Fordtransit

Hi

I’d be inclined to agree, we have gone July and August and never booked a site. Then again there is only the two of us and we would settle for an Aire. We usually only use sites if there is ACSI discount available in off season. Having said that we were on that new Aire in Roses and it was quite expensive @ €20 if remember correctly and there was a site across the road Road which wasn’t eligible for ACSI discount for another week. I went over to the site looking to buy an electrical adapter and asked them when the ACSI discount was kicking in and the guy said if you come over now I’ll give you the discount and we did, the site had pool, bar & Restaurant etc for the same price as the Aire. I think if you approach sites and you look to be respectful you have a better chance of getting a spot than someone that books online as they have no idea of what kind of client will turn up.

I know exactly where you are talking about Pat. That’s the site we use when there. Usually a reasonable few Irish there as well.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, sprinter

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #6
You will find the coast in July /August very busy as the french take there holidays then. I don't often use campsites so cant comment but will give you a link to campsites.
http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/france-links/4542257529
I went down the Brittany coast in Sept 2016 as far as La Rochelle.Then came inland .
https://motorhomeireland.com/?p=2824
And in August 2018 went down as far as Bordeaux but kept away from the coast on that trip.
https://drive.google.com/open?…sp=sharing
https://motorhomeireland.com/?p=3208

Fordtransit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #7
Thanks for all the replays lads. I have looked at a few campsites around the vendee region st John de monts etc.. to book now would average 60 euro a nite for a pitch forc2 adults and 3 kids under 9. I stayed in mobile homes in campsites during the first 2 weeks of July for the past few years and have noticed alot of empty pitches and mobile homes. I gather from the middle of July onwards things pick up considerably. Perhaps it might be a safer bet to have a plan going and have the sites down south pre booked. Thanks for d comments. This is our first trip in our new campervan so any further advice welcomed. I recon after 5 weeks touring through france with 3 electric kids I might be investing in a straight jacket 😂🙈

Liked by: eirebus, panda, PaulH

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #8
Check out the mechanical elephant in Nantes, Puy de Fou and Future scope, the last 2 have Aires attached, the zoo in La Palmyre is supposed to be good too

Liked by: Europa, panda

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

France

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #9
I also would recommend Nantes camping have a look at their website, for your gang 3 days early July would cost €140. Discount use of the pool across the road,Tram outside 24 /48 hour tickets . Nantes Machines are brilliant you could do a couple of days there if not more ( Google them for the children before you go )
Take a look at the CampingCar Park app and system secure village/small town Airs for about €12 with all the services
Another group to have a look at is Hutopia France campsites.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #10
I can also recommend Nantes camping, a great site. Also for st Jean de Monts, we've used camping La Yole, always a great welcome, good facilities for kids, great cycle paths and not far from town. Further down I'd recommend Atlantique Park, La Palmyre near Royan, a gorgeous site near beaches with its own white sand swimming lagoon. So much choice ...😁

Liked by: panda

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #11
Le Pin Parasol campsite in the Vendee has an Aire attached, 20 spaces or so and no booking so it could fill a gap in your schedule on the fly.

Think it was €15 per night or something like that when we were there in August, pay at the machine at the gate, you'll have to pay extra for the pools if you want to use them.

Fordtransit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #12
Great information Thanks again.

valjon
Subject:

France July 2020

· 
Posted: 04.02.2020  ·  #13
Suggest you download campercontact app which covers campsites and Aires. In July arrive at Aires early

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #14
I saw this Camperstop advertised on FB and I was wondering if it’s worth getting?

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #15
Quote by jacktherev

I saw this Camperstop advertised on FB and I was wondering if it’s worth getting?

I have just upgraded mine to the 2019 13th edition from Amazon £16 plus postage ,includes a years subscription to the app. I have found it useful and it covers 27 countries and over 10,000 stops. This new one is an A4 so twice the size of the old ones.

valjon
Subject:

Ferry to France

· 
Posted: 06.02.2020  ·  #16
For those travellers who choose to cross to England before going to France. The Newhaven to Dieppe crossing with DFDS offers 20% discount to the over 60s but you have to book by phone

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.