The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: new Rosslare ferry

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #3
Sounds good. Any more word on GNV operating Cork to Vigo?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #4
Don't get too excited yet. Some of the rumour mills have Brittany Ferries moving into Rosslare, possibly reducing services from Cork. I hope they're wrong and a new ferry operator is coming.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, GMAC, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #5
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #6
GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #7
It would be superb if we had another sailing option and hopefully a different operator to bring some competition.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2020  ·  #8
Quote by GMAC

It would be superb if we had another sailing option and hopefully a different operator to bring some competition.

A totally new operator would be great to see alright

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #9
Let's hope it all works out

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

new Rosslare ferry

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #10
What would make anyone think a new service would Help? They will come in and charge more then the others and tell us it's because they are offering a better service into a new location. Why would you charge less to take fish out of a barrel when there is no other way of getting out. When Stifco left Rosslare Stena, instead taking over the route and going all out to get the extra business, they put their prices up.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #11
Celtic Link were going to offer Rosslare to Pembroke for £80 return with a Motorhome. Stena bought them out.

It can be done, we need someone like Mr Easy(jet) to come in and put on such a service, that would mess up the cartels.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #12
I’d throw in a couple of hundred quid and we could buy a big boat

Liked by: panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #13
Me too

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #14
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #15
Quote by rebbyvid

Seatruck when i used them Liverpool- Dublin was £80 each way 2017, now £185 each way .

Don't know what happened to them, but just too expensive now, doesn't really make sense that they are more expensive than Stena etc

Liked by: rebbyvid

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

What would make anyone think a new service would Help? They will come in and charge more then the others and tell us it's because they are offering a better service into a new location. Why would you charge less to take fish out of a barrel when there is no other way of getting out. When Stifco left Rosslare Stena, instead taking over the route and going all out to get the extra business, they put their prices up.

There'll be a short term gain at the very least as they seek to establish market share, after that, it'll depend on the load factor on the ship and the business model they employ. The configuration of the ship will be important too on an Ireland - France route. Cabins are important and create a ceiling on the level of passenger bookings they are likely to get.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #17
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #18
Cork - Santander is a looong trip on one of those relatively small Italian economy ferries, especially in a sea area as volatile as The Bay of Biscay.
Would the economies of scale of a bigger boat, added to better seakeeping in bad weather, which should provide a more reliable service at a lower cost be a more sustainable formula.

For one, I'd definitely prefer a couple of days driving and a couple of nights on an Aire to a couple of nights in a storm-tossed ship and time spent looking at the four walls of a little cabin.

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC, rebbyvid, sprinter, +deleted user

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #19
Howye,

Just got the following from Britanny Ferries tis morn;...…….

[Sailing date: 20/05/20

I'm writing to you today to confirm important changes to your booking and our économie services between Ireland, Spain and France.

From the 28th February 2020 we are moving our scheduled sailings from Cork to Santander to the ports of Rosslare and Bilbao. Additionally our midweek économie sailing from Cork to Roscoff will now operate from Rosslare.

I'm sorry to confirm your forthcoming sailing is among those affected. The dates of your sailing will not change and we will email you separately to confirm departure times within two weeks.

Just for info of anybody else who may be effected or contemplating BF

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #20
Regarding the last message this is the entire letter less there be any confusion re Cork-Roscoff

Sailing date: 20/05/20

I'm writing to you today to confirm important changes to your booking and our économie services between Ireland, Spain and France.

From the 28th February 2020 we are moving our scheduled sailings from Cork to Santander to the ports of Rosslare and Bilbao. Additionally our midweek économie sailing from Cork to Roscoff will now operate from Rosslare.

I'm sorry to confirm your forthcoming sailing is among those affected. The dates of your sailing will not change and we will email you separately to confirm departure times within two weeks.

We hope you will still choose to travel with us and, if you do, you'll receive a contribution to your onward travel costs to cover the distance between the original ports booked and our new destinations. We will arrange this for you. If you now no longer wish to travel with us, please reply by email to sailing.changes@brittanyferries.com or over the phone on +353 (0)21 425 3117 to confirm you wish to cancel within 14 days and we'll arrange a refund for you.

Please note our classic cruise-ferry services between Cork and Roscoff remain unchanged.

We've decided to change our économie services on the back of significant customer demand, especially from our freight customers who are vital to the ongoing success and viability of our Ireland to Spain services. The road networks into and out of Rosslare and Bilbao are more convenient for many customers, and critically, most hauliers. We need to adapt to their needs, although I acknowledge and regret this may be inconvenient for others.

As things stand, we are determined to continue offering fabulous holidays to Spain for our Irish customers but need to make these important changes to grow our market share and maintain the route's viability.

Please click here https://www.brittany-ferries.c…rts/bilbao to learn more about Bilbao, including our port and its facilities.

If you have more than one sailing booked on any of our affected routes, we will be in touch again, by email and SMS to confirm changes. In the meantime I hope we can welcome you on board soon.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom and understanding.

Yours sincerely,

Hugh Bruton
General Manager
Brittany Ferries Ireland

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, GMAC

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #21
Quote by <BM>

Speculation here does not bode well for a better value service

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/lo…e-17642356

I agree with you.

" The first-ever direct ferry route between Ireland and Spain has proved to be very popular with holidaymakers and businesses "
That's a strange statement I've haven't heard of people queuing on the dockside to use this service, was anyone on it when it was full? quite the opposite.

What would make anyone think that adding 3 hours of traveling time will make for a better service then what they have? and from a port that at times ships have sailed up and down the Irish sea for up to 24 hours because they could not get into the berth, but then that is exactly what StiFco did with the WB yates.

I see the last post came in before I posted but I think my point still stands.

I would make you wonder how much CIE. dropped to get that move to happen? I guess Train / Dart and Bus fares are going up next year.

Well done Daffy and Flipper :up: :D

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #22
We just got the same email. We don’t sail until July. We had booked the 32 hour late crossing on a Friday night so we can work that day. I’m hoping the crossing from Rosslare won’t be any earlier. The additional sailing time to travel to Bilbao therefore shouldn’t really affect that crossing.

I wonder how much the “contribution to your onward travel costs to cover the distance between the original ports booked and our new destinations“ will amount to?!

The changes actually suit us on both counts as it was our intention to head East anyway as we travelled West last year. Also we’re in Dublin so Rosslare suits better than Cork.

However I can see that it might inconvenience an awful lot of passengers, especially those with children booked to travel in the peak season and may have already booked campsites. As they’ve stated it’s to suit the hauliers who make up the bulk of their business.

Liked by: Chevy g20, panda

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #23
Just received the same email for our planned 28/10/20 sailing I’d be interested to see any changes to departure and arrival times.

Liked by: Chevy g20

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Britanny Ferries now sailing to Bilbao not Santander

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #24
Quote by AdiH

We just got the same email. We don’t sail until July. We had booked the 32 hour late crossing on a Friday night so we can work that day. I’m hoping the crossing from Rosslare won’t be any earlier. The additional sailing time to travel to Bilbao therefore shouldn’t really affect that crossing.

I wonder how much the “contribution to your onward travel costs to cover the distance between the original ports booked and our new destinations“ will amount to?!

The changes actually suit us on both counts as it was our intention to head East anyway as we travelled West last year. Also we’re in Dublin so Rosslare suits better than Cork.

However I can see that it might inconvenience an awful lot of passengers, especially those with children booked to travel in the peak season and may have already booked campsites. As they’ve stated it’s to suit the hauliers who make up the bulk of their business.

Will they look for a contributioon from you since you will have a saving :-/ :P :D

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #25
An interesting letter, Mr Hugh Bruton must have attended a few customer service training sessions since the major c**k-up last May/June.

AdiH
AdiH
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #26
Quote by sprinter

Will they look for a contributioon from you since you will have a saving :-/ :P :D

I hope not I’d better keep quiet so 🤫
I’ll be interested to hear what the new sailing times are. Very unfortunate for anyone travelling in a few weeks.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #27
I was also thinking that sailing from Rosslare does give options if Brittany ferries cancels use a different carrier to Cherbourg, Fishguard or Pembroke perhaps.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #28
Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

I agree with you.

" The first-ever direct ferry route between Ireland and Spain has proved to be very popular with holidaymakers and businesses "
That's a strange statement I've haven't heard of people queuing on the dockside to use this service, was anyone on it when it was full? quite the opposite.

What would make anyone think that adding 3 hours of traveling time will make for a better service then what they have? and from a port that at times ships have sailed up and down the Irish sea for up to 24 hours because they could not get into the berth, but then that is exactly what StiFco did with the WB yates.

I would make you wonder how much CIE. dropped to get that move to happen? I guess Train / Dart and Bus fares are going up next year.

Liam gave them a brown envelope 🤣🤣🤣

Liked by: sprinter

Conormclocks
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #29
Received the same letter today
We are going July 10th on the Friday night crossing - luckily I am off that day so if the time moves forward a few hours
will be fine
Suits me as far as location are concerned as was planning to go straight from Santander to Bilbao on arrival
Missed the bit about 'receive a contribution to your onward travel' when I read it so hopefully that'll pay for a few garagardo

Liked by: panda

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

new Rosslare ferry

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #30
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

I agree with you.

Liam gave them a brown envelope 🤣🤣🤣

Why, was it insted of a paper bag, were they hyperventalating ? O-)

AdiH
AdiH
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #31
Quote by Conormclocks

Received the same letter today
We are going July 10th on the Friday night crossing - luckily I am off that day so if the time moves forward a few hours
will be fine
Suits me as far as location are concerned as was planning to go straight from Santander to Bilbao on arrival
Missed the bit about 'receive a contribution to your onward travel' when I read it so hopefully that'll pay for a few garagardo

That’s the date we sail out as well, hopefully it’s no earlier than 9.30pm!

Jacksbus
My Motorhome: benimar mileo 282
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #32
I have just received the same email, but nothing in to suggest compensation. luckily I have only booked the homeward leg of journey Santander to Cork, so shouldn't really bother me that much ( hopefully )…..Not what you would call good customer service.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #33
And to top it all off,they are still taking bookings on their website for the Cork Santander route. :-/

Liked by: AdiH, Ally, Chevy g20, panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2020  ·  #34
Rosslare’s gain, which IS really needed, is Cork’s loss. Can’t say I’m overly happy with taking business from one rural area to another. I certainly won’t be jumping up and down with glee, like some did, when IF moved from Rosslare to Dublin for their Crossing to France

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2020  ·  #35
One silver lining may be the proposed new operator sailing from Cork/Vigo will get to market with a better offering, in that case it will be a win-win all round.......
I’m not holding my breath.

In any case BF really need to shape up with regards to cancellation and customer satisfaction concerns.... not good enough.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, panda, sprinter

Glenn
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2020  ·  #36
Same same here. Going out mid April, back end of June. Perfectly OK with the change: Rosslare is an easier drive from Belfast. I'll miss the overnight stops in Cobh, though.

We were on the Kerry on its first sailing (end Oct) from Santander to Cork. It was a bit of a shambles. Nothing was really working. The cabin signage was a mess, the bar was lightly stocked (if at all), but the staff, transferred over without notice, were superb. Could not have been sweeter.

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2020  ·  #37
Well the "new" operator of Rosslare to Bilbao is Brittany Ferries,probably using the Kerry.

Liked by: nilrac

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2020  ·  #38
Brittany ferries are moving two routes to rosslare, spain route and french route according to their website.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2020  ·  #39
Starting 28th February

AdiH
AdiH
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #40
Anyone get an email today regarding compensation? The sailing times are broadly the same as when it was Cork-Santander and Santander-Cork.

I got 2 separate emails, one for each leg so presumably the compensation will be €106 in total for a return journey?

“As explained previously, we will be providing a contribution toward the travel cost, to cover the additional distance between Cork and Rosslare (€35) and Santander and Bilbao (€18). These amounts have been applied to bookings affected by these changes”.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.