PAYLOAD

PETER BEAMISH
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

AUTOTRAIL 2010

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #1
I am thinking of buying a 2010 Fiat Ducato 7mtr. autotrail. I am a motorhome 'virgin!!'

My driving licence (B) is okay for the 3500kg listed weight of the unit.

HOWEVER the payload allowable is only 270kg and I'm wondering has this caused anyone a problem especially travelling in France as it must be difficult to keep within the weight limit given the normal gear one would bring on such a trip.

This was brought to my attention by someone who has much more experience than I have.

Peter

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: AUTOTRAIL 2010

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #2
That's a pretty rubbish payload, take off gas cylinders, clothes and two people. It's gone :/

Most Auto trails are 3850, has it been downplated?

Liked by: Eyore

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #3
My van was rated at 3500kg which allowed 310kg payload. With awning, solar panel, gas and spare wheel, 2 bikes and a not extravagant list of clothing, food , tools etc we run at 3650kg.
I had the van uprated to 3850kg and still only have about 60kg spare over the rear axle.
My water tanks hold 140 litres/kg fresh and 120 litres/kg grey, so even with only a full tank of water I would have used nearly half my payload.
I don’t read on any of the many forums that I visit of many people stating they had been weighed or indeed prosecuted, although there are claims that the number of roadside weighings are on the increase and automatic weighing equipment embedded in the roads is becoming more common in England.
The bottom line is of course that if the van is over it’s limit then there is the potential for prosecution for overloading and driving without the correct licence groups, or the possibility of being made to unload to a permitted weight before continuing. Some will state that insurance will be invalidated, but I have not read of any example of this. I suspect that a good percentage of Motorhomes run overweight either through ignorance or regardless of legality, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem for us.

Davy

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #4
Ask your insurance company and see what they say, I'd bet there is no chance of insurance on the same terms without compliance of the small print.ie "terms and conditions apply".
Weight limits among other things define vehicle classes,for drving licences and insurance purposes.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #5
I wouldnt be overly worried about the weight ,how many cars do you see on the road in summer loaded like an artic and no one bothers them

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #6
Quote by PETER BEAMISH

I am thinking of buying a 2010 Fiat Ducato 7mtr. autotrail. I am a motorhome 'virgin!!'

My driving licence (B) is okay for the 3500kg listed weight of the unit.

HOWEVER the payload allowable is only 270kg and I'm wondering has this caused anyone a problem especially travelling in France as it must be difficult to keep within the weight limit given the normal gear one would bring on such a trip.

This was brought to my attention by someone who has much more experience than I have.

Peter

Would you know the model type in question?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.