Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

VRT

· 
Posted: 09.01.2020  ·  #1
Hi, I recently bought a 1988 VW Westfalia joker in the UK. I am importing the Campervan next week into Ireland.
The amount of conflicting information I am receiving about the VRT due on the van is ridiculous.
Can someone clarify for me if the 32 year old Campervan I bought is classed as vintage and is due Classic VRT of €200?

Regards Gerard

Liked by: biddser

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: VRT

· 
Posted: 09.01.2020  ·  #2
Why dont you contact the vrt people? Im sure they would have the proper information.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, Eyore

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2020  ·  #3
Vehicles more than 30 years old are subject to €200 VRT, see VRT Category C HERE

Liked by: Ally, Squidge

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2020  ·  #4
That’s Great Thanks 👍
Regards Gerard

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #5
So I brought my Campervan to the NCT today for its VRT inspection. I thought I had everything in order however the person inspecting the vehicle didn't know where to look for the chassis number or the engine number. I thought that information was on the metal plate that is located at the passenger door. But the person told me that the metal plate would not do. They said there was a number actually on the chassis. I didn't know where to look either. So i have to re-book the vrt check up with the locations of the chassis number plus a headed paper with the engine number from the dealer even though I told them I bought the van privately.
They also told me that I would be paying a lot more VRT on my campervan than the vintage €200 as it was a motorhome even though the camper is 32 years old.
On the semi finished declaration form they have Make-Volkswagon, Model-T25, Version-4DR LHD. Should there not be a mention of campervan in the Model part?
Has anybody imported a vintage camper recently?

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #6
I feel for you that have to do VTR to me it’s a load of revenue making bo,,,,,,ks yor saying the the bloke didn’t know where the chassis number was ,that’s his job ,he should know where every number on every vehicle is ,and your expected to pay for his inexperience I would refuse to pay again stating that if the people they employ are not up to the job then he shouldn’t be doing it,stick to your guns force them into explaining why they employ untrained people

Liked by: Mull, panda, Squidge

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #7
Bloke was a lady who rang her boss to find out where the numbers where but the boss didn’t know either.
Is what’s on the declaration the same information that goes onto the new log book? As there is no reference to a motorhome/campervan on the declaration I’d be concerned this bit of information would be left out of the new logbook.
It’s also costing me €40 to bring the camper to a VW garage to find and highlight the numbers plus put them on headed paper. I’ve sent an email to the VRT section of the nct querying whether my vintage vehicle is a vintage vehicle as I was told it was not and would have to pay a lot more than the €200.
But first it’s actually getting the chassis and engine numbers.
Ridiculous!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #8
They say 'the chassis number is stamped on the crossmember behind the drivers front wheel. Look under the van from the back forward and look at the floor supporting crossmembers and you should be able to make it out - it is on one of the front cross members, cant remember which one' click HERE

Liked by: eirebus

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #9
Again I would ring VTR and ask them to explain why thy employ people who can’t do the job and are you going to be refunded for there c,,.k up and that you won’t pay for a test until they can find someone who can carry out the work till YOUR standard after all it you who is paying them, ps send them an email and keep records of when and who you talk to dates and times

Liked by: baguette, eirebus

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #10
Robert, they start fining you once you go over a certain time. And it goes up incrementally. I’d advise getting it done, and then appeal after. They won’t care, and it’s going to cost him in the end

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #11
Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2020  ·  #12
Thanks for the replies

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #13
Get in touch with a classic car club in your area and they will tell the definition of a classic car.

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #14
I spoke to Revenue in Rosslare today and they said it’s Bizarre that my Campervan is not being classed as a vehicle.
I’ve to ring them back when I bring the van back for re-inspection.

Liked by: ntg

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2020  ·  #15
I was back in the VRT office today and I dealt with somebody different. This person was I can only describe as brilliant who was efficient and knew her job very well.
The papers are on their way to revenue so it should be sorted in a week or so.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2020  ·  #16
Quote by Squidge

I was back in the VRT office today and I dealt with somebody different. This person was I can only describe as brilliant who was efficient and knew her job very well.

Delighted you got sorted.
Here's an old proverb, the first verse which applies to sooooo many in our government agencies and departments

“He who knows not,
and knows not that he knows not,
is a fool; shun him.

He who knows not,
and knows that he knows not,
is a student; Teach him.

He who knows,
and knows not that he knows,
is asleep; Wake him.

He who knows,
and knows that he knows,
is Wise; Follow him.”

Daryl Gaughan
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #17
Quote by Squidge

Hi Squidge.
What was the story with cost?
Was it just €200?
Any extra documents needed?

Spailpin Fanach
Craic'er
Homepage: bharr.com
My Motorhome: 1989 VW T25 1.6TD JX Westfalia California poptop with 5 gears.
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #18
I imported a 1989 1.6TD Westfalia California from the UK a few months ago. The vrt only cost 200€. Its important to make sure all the paperwork is in order. I found the whole process fairly stress free and smooth. My only problem was finding a VRT centre with an available spot free. I ended up in Wexford, eventually. Good luck

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #19
Sorry lads but it's not the VRT inspector's job to know where your VIN is located. Surely they'll know the common places for the common vans but the documentation estates clearly that you must know where the numbers are and make sure that they're clearly legible. You should know the numbers as they'll be on the logbook or V5 in case of a UK vehicle.

While Brexit is creating some confusion alright and the process is not completely smooth at the moment, most of the questions can be answered paying attention to the documentation they provide on their website and calling or emailing them. Not a lot of people have experience with the new process since Brexit so it'll be hard to find valid info online from "end users" yet....

Liked by: Bounder

Daryl Gaughan
Subject:

Vintage vrt

· 
Posted: 12.02.2021  ·  #20
Quote by Squidge

Hi.
I want to import a vintage 1990 be camper. My concern is the vrt vat and customers?
When you imported your be may I ask what charges encountered?
My previous import was €200 vrt only.
For cars there is 21% vat and 10% customs duty.
Is this the case for vintage ?
How much had you to pay in total if you don't mind?
Thanks
Daryl

biddser
Subject:

Vrt

· 
Posted: 13.04.2021  ·  #21
Hi Gerard, do revenue recognize the campers as vintage for vrt...I’m just waiting on them to come back with the fee for my 1982 Mercedes hymer.
Thanks

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.