Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

All Island charities

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #1
Lets have them :) ones that are no ton this list: https://www.thejournal.ie/iris…8-Mar2016/ although the list is 216 so with caution.

RNLI

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

Re: All Island charities

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #2
Cant go wrong with the RNLI or seeing as so many of us are doggy people , Dogs Trust who are marvellous.

Liked by: panda

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Eyore

Cant go wrong with the RNLI or seeing as so many of us are doggy people , Dogs Trust who are marvellous.

Dogs trust do indeed do great work, but they had an annual wage bill in 2017 of 2.3m euro. Their income was somewhere in the region of 7.5 million.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #4
My suggestion would be SOSAD in the Republic and PIPS in the North. They are both suicide support groups that are worthy of support.

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #5
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Quote by Eyore

Dogs trust do indeed do great work, but they had an annual wage bill in 2017 of 2.3m euro. Their income was somewhere in the region of 7.5 million.

I hear what you are saying ,but its a hugely labour intensive job they do.Many charities collect only and disburse funds to needy causes,they shouldent justify big wages unlike Dogs Trust,that rescue,rehome,provide care and vet care,fund spaying,run education programmes.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #6
I’m opting out of this, out of 100 people you will most likely end up with 80-90 charities. Like jjf I do things locally, and personally if at all possible. At least you can see what good it is doing.

Liked by: eirebus

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #7
This is who I donate too.....Run by a Dutch couple who live and breathe caring for animals.

http://ashanimalrescue.com/ash/

Liked by: Ally, R&N

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #8
Quote by Daffysparks

I’m opting out of this, out of 100 people you will most likely end up with 80-90 charities. Like jjf I do things locally, and personally if at all possible. At least you can see what good it is doing.

Don't opt out, it doesn't have to be island wide.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #9
We having been supporting the German Shepherd RRR for a number of years. Rescue, Rehabilitation and retraining. Based in Holywood, Co Down. Run by a husband and wife and not a registered charity. Help goes in the form of food, paying vets bills, as well as logs for the heating and bedding for the dogs. All the helpers are volunteers. It’s great to see abused or neglected dogs being brought back to full health and given new loving homes. They have a great Facebook page.

Liked by: Ally, JJF, ntg, panda, +deleted user

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #10
Quote by Mark&Wendy

We having been supporting the German Shepherd RRR for a number of years. Rescue, Rehabilitation and retraining. Based in Holywood, Co Down. Run by a husband and wife and not a registered charity. Help goes in the form of food, paying vets bills, as well as logs for the heating and bedding for the dogs. All the helpers are volunteers. It’s great to see abused or neglected dogs being brought back to full health and given new loving homes. They have a great Facebook page.

:up: :up: :up:

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #11
I support new horizons/action mental health ,I donate 10% of all paintings I sell weather it’s a £10 painting or a £1000 painting I always give n/h 10% this organisation has done so much for me I want to repay them with as much money as I can raise

Liked by: Ally, JJF, JMAC, ntg, panda, ROBANDSUE, +deleted user

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #12
the only charity i donate to is The Capuchin Day Care Centre. No wages and everything raised goes direct to feeding, clothing and looking after homeless and down on their luck families and individuals. Enormous undertaking since I was a kid.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #13
R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #14
I belong to a local knitting group, anything we make is sold through local tea room , or hats/Scarves to homeless and including our weekly coffee money.... as a group we are surprised just how much money we raise and every month or so when we have €500 we decide which charity we are going to support with preference for lesser known ones run by volunteers rather than those with paid fundraisers and TV adverts.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #15
Quote by R&N

I belong to a local knitting group, anything we make is sold through local tea room , or hats/Scarves to homeless and including our weekly coffee money.... as a group we are surprised just how much money we raise and every month or so when we have €500 we decide which charity we are going to support with preference for lesser known ones run by volunteers rather than those with paid fundraisers and TV adverts.

Good on you Rosemary, it is people like you that keep the community ticking.
I know of a woman who fund raised for children in need and raised multiple of thousands until one night she had arranged for the organisation to collect her latest donation.
When the gentleman called to collect the donation he was driving a top of the range hired BMW and told the woman that he was staying in a local top rate hotel before going back home next day.
That woman never contributed to that organisation again.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, panda, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #16
Approx 2012 myself and SWMBO volunteered for Oxfams Trailtrekker, 100 km's walkathon.

We done backup in the Motorhome at various venues over a few days, making tea, supporting people etc. In the final day as they crossed the finishing line in Carlingford the volunteers were cast aside and the bigwigs came down for photoshoot and to shake hands.

We never volunteered for Oxfam again.

We both won "star volunteers" - we never even turned up for the award, they posted it to us though.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Approx 2012 myself and SWMBO volunteered for Oxfams Trailtrekker, 100 km's walkathon.

We done backup in the Motorhome at various venues over a few days, making tea, supporting people etc. In the final day as they crossed the finishing line in Carlingford the volunteers were cast aside and the bigwigs came down for photoshoot and to shake hands.

We never volunteered for Oxfam again.

We both won "star volunteers" - we never even turned up for the award, they posted it to us though.

I wouldn't even buy a book in Oxfam, or anything else for that matter. Many years ago when they opened a shop in Wexford their maintenance electricians travelled down from Newry or Belfast :o . Enough said.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2019  ·  #18
All the good ones were too busy in Wexford, sure. 😁

Liked by: eirebus

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2019  ·  #19
I support the main Cancer charities in NI. I have stopped giving to people on the street since I learned that anyone can set up a charity and only have to give a small percentage to that charity. The rest can be taken up by administration. One of those buckets can hold £200 and if you have a couple of “volunteers” it’s not long before they can gather up a lot of money. I am aware of a case where a person set up a charity and their children are at fee paying schools, they live in a large house with no visible means of earning money except the charity. Trouble is this is legal and impossible to police

Liked by: panda, +deleted user

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2019  ·  #20
Beware the chuggers! You know the ones I’m talking about? The charity huggers. They stand in the street in their high-viz charity branded jackets, trying to get your eye contact. And when they do they reel you in, become your best friend and get you to sign up to a monthly donation. These people usually work for a marketing company contracted by the charities. For each person who signs up, it can take about 6 months of making donations before the marketing company is paid and the charity starts to see anything.

Just be aware anyway. I’m not saying all charities hire these third party firms. I know the likes of Madra, Guide dogs for the Blind etc. all rely on volunteers to fund raise which is all above board. But when you see some young student type trying to be your best friend, you can check the ID badage to see what company they work for.

Liked by: Ally, ntg, panda, sprinter, TommyS

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2019  ·  #21
Quite a few at large festivals, hire by Greenpace etc - always so much per month.

Another one that happened many years ago, my Mother was collecting for a charity. She knew the woman that done the collecting and decided to help out. She finished collecting and they all went back to this 'friends' house. The 'friend' then emptied it all in a room and divided it up between everyone leaving a small amount for the charity. My mother walked out, of course not taking any, and never collected for another charity again. Obviously not the charities fault, but it makes you wonder how much of that goes on.

Liked by: The Rambler, TommyS

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.