Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Whitehead Aires

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #1
Heading to Whitehead today (yes the weather is lovely), I read here...

http://www.carrickfergus.org/tourism/aires-de-service-/

"Each token provides on hour's usage of water, electricity and sewage facilities."

Surely that can't be one hour of electricity for a quid? or is it?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

Re: Whitehead Aires

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #2
Reply from Carrick Tourist Information...

"Thank you for your email requesting information on the Aires De Service. A token (£1.00 each) entitles you to one hour’s worth of electricity or water. If you wish to have both electricity and water, you will need two tokens per hour."

Broughshane is £2 for ten hours of electricity, according to the poster. Why so expensive in Carrick and Whitehead?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #3
You must remember it is not a campsite. Aires in France are classed as stop overs or areas for topping up water or dropping your waste.

Many do not offer electric at all. The electric socket is only an add on for a quick charge of batteries etc.

As they are offered by local authority the can place any charge they wish.

Better thinking of them as having no electric, then if you get some it is a bonus.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #4
dont use a token to fill up with water,fill elsewhere or before you go

broughshane has a drinking water tap directly from the kitchen supply at the side of the main building.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #5
Well that was a disaster, although good fun. :lol:

Went to Carrick, blowing a gale and lashing with rain, had something to eat in a local restaurant. Went back to MH and a few yahoo's driving round and round the car park. Decided we would go to Whitehead (Bentra golf club Aires), deserted, nowhere to buy tokens so we came home as we had no water, I'll fill up with water before we leave next time :)

Should of went to Broughshane, head of in the morning again see where that takes us :)

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Token Charge

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #6
The standard charge with aires is 1 token for 1 hr electric or 10 mins of water, the Village of Broughshane wanted to make it longer to help in particular the comfort of disabled users in the winter months, but the Aires unit is not designed for that, after many emails to France it was deemed not possible to alter the timer unit, because or the type of circut board fitted, to get around the problem I designed a method to alter it the cost was approx £400, at that time the parking was free and since there was funds to pay it I ended up paying the bill.
It must be remembered that an Aires is not a campsite and planning does not allow things like tables, chairs, continous hook up etc, you really must be just stopped, this also rules out tents and caravans, because of the camping part of the regulations,
The Aires offered by some campsites, like Dundonald and now Clougher Valley off season is different because they already have camping permission, and you can use jacks, tables etc.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #7
Cheers for the explanation Willie.

I thought it was ok to stay at an Aires for a couple of nights, but can see why they are only service points.

Lot to learn in this Motorhoming caper ;)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #8
It is possible to stay but just don't expect too much.

Many French Aires attract large numbers of visitors each day but not to stay, just service their needs.
Others are treated as somewhere to sleep in your van as the location is close to an attraction.

As Willie says, no tables or chairs should be set out. I have seen this rule flaunted openly but I tend to do as the locals do (or perhaps slightly less) If the French sit out with tables and chairs, awnings etc I ask the nearest neighbours what it permissible. They will never tell you it isn't allowed if they are doing it. This just means they shouldn't complain if I get a chair out.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

France Aires - a further comment

· 
Posted: 04.11.2011  ·  #9
Many Aires have a time stay limit of 48 hours. Any limit is usually displayed.

On the the point of charges for power in French Aires. There are nearly as many policies are there are Aires. We have been in Aires where for an all in charge; €6 or €7 there are numerous electrical points around the perimeter and it's first come first served. Obviously in the busier parts of the year you will be lucky to get power. Then there are Aires with just a Bourne using a token or €2 for a completely variable period of time.

The photos attached were taken in Roanne in the Loire Department. The overnight charge was €4 with overnight electricity costing a further €2. However; in the morning when the inspector came to call he knocked on your door and gave you back a token for a further full 24 hours electricity. This was to encourage you to stay on and spend your money in the town - and a nice town it is too.

The attached photos show the site with the Inspectors' van at the kiosk and the view from the site in the evening.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2011  ·  #10
Quote by Davidod

However; in the morning when the inspector came to call he knocked on your door and gave you back a token for a further full 24 hours electricity. This was to encourage you to stay on and spend your money in the town - and a nice town it is too.

That makes so much sense, we have a lot to learn in this country. I can imagine the outcry from the Caravan Site owners if that were to happen here.

P.S. The place looks lovely!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.