Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Whiterock Amenity Site

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #1
Just read this in the local paper. This car park is in Whiterock, County Down and a spot used occasionally for Motorhome Parking. It’s on the app. During the summer on a nice day or on bank holidays it is full of day trippers.

I did hope that it would form part of the Councils plans in developing Motorhome sites but it looks like they just want rid of it.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t turn into a £30 per night campsite. I’ll ask the kids to ask about and see who’s involved. Be nice to have some influence in the plans.

PS I’ll download a photo of the article when I work out how to reduce the photo to 29kb. 🤬

Liked by: Ally

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Whiterock Amenity Site

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #2

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #3

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #4
That car park was certainly part of the plan that N. Down and Ards council were hoping to roll out creating a network of Motorhome parking and overnight stops. I surveyed it and made recommendations to the tourism dept of the council. That must be two or more years back now. Everything ground to a halt when the Donaghadee court case began.

I have not been in touch with the tourism department since as I had no wish to cause them more grief than they were already getting from the nimby who made the complaint. Potentially when it is settled I will lift the ball and run with it. Incidentally things in the Newry Mourne and Down area are in limbo as they also await the revision of the caravan act. The caravan act is largely for static holiday home sites which are really semi permanent villages and has no bearing at all on Aire provision. It would be interesting to see were marinas fit in the whole picture as often they have boats carrying butane tanks, diesel or petrol propulsion and living quarters very similar to Motorhomes, but they don’t seem to have a 6 metre separation.

Anyway that is for the future. Difficult to see how the council could hand over a carpark when there is already difficulty with traffic when vehicles park at the Down cruising club (the lightship) and Strangford Lough yacht club.

Davy

Liked by: Ally, JettaJohn

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #5
Thanks Davy. That’s good to know. I now have a possible name of the third party. If it’s confirmed I’ll give him a call and see what he plans to do.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.