Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

Smart home security camera

· 
Posted: 03.12.2019  ·  #1
Hi Guys,

I’m toying with the idea of installing a alarm in my motorhome. Just wondering if there is a smart camera system available for motorhome like you can get for a house. The camera can be installed in your house and it detects sound or movement then let’s you know by sending you live images to your phone. Is there something similar developed for motorhome?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Smart home security camera

· 
Posted: 03.12.2019  ·  #2
I've one of these fitted. Cheap as chips and works well albeit a bit trick to set-up initially. Armed with remote control and has geofence capability and a host of other features. Full GPS tracking and has intruder inputs for door switch and a feature for an alarm trigger using different sensors. Ive added a small house type alarm PIR via a 4 core cable and connector plug that can alert you via a text if movement is detected inside the van or a door is opened when the unit is armed. I can isolate the PIR by unplugging it it when we leave the dog in the van. Takes a bit of work to do but not difficult.
Requires a sim card, i've used a vodafone one as they have 6 months lifespan before require topping up, about €20 per year keeps them active.
Link for ebay HERE.

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2019  ·  #3
Sorry for jumping in on this thread - I wonder can I ask about the vodafone costs. I'm looking to put a tracker in my camper and my two concerns are battery life(prefer not to connect something with a cheap lithium battery to the power supply) & comms. Does the vodafone SIM supply data and SMS more than 28days/1month after topping up. I don't want the cost of a top up every month if I'm only using 50 to 100MB of data and 20 to 50 SMSs a month.

To the original poster I am thinking of either:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKEM…GFL3F&th=1 or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…7QLC&psc=1

Both have decent battery and motion detection so battery usage is low unless the camper is moved and then the SMSs start coming in.

If you use data then you have to subscibe to a service costing £20 a year I think to track and historically track the vehicle. I prefer SMS as if the camper is robbed SMS will have a stronger reach than a 3G signal and should not require any APN change if the camper leaves the country. I'm only starting my research so please don't rip me apart if I'm coming at this from the wrong approach. Would be interested in more knowledge

Rory

Quote by JJF

I've one of these fitted. Cheap as chips and works well albeit a bit trick to set-up initially. Armed with remote control and has geofence capability and a host of other features. Full GPS tracking and has intruder inputs for door switch and a feature for an alarm trigger using different sensors. Ive added a small house type alarm PIR via a 4 core cable and connector plug that can alert you via a text if movement is detected inside the van or a door is opened when the unit is armed. I can isolate the PIR by unplugging it it when we leave the dog in the van. Takes a bit of work to do but not difficult.
Requires a sim card, i've used a vodafone one as they have 6 months lifespan before require topping up, about €20 per year keeps them active.
Link for ebay HERE.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2019  ·  #4
All info below assuming Vodafone Ireland, not sure about Vodafone UK.
Vodafone sim stays active after top up for 6 months.. all others have 90 day limit.
The tracker I’ve listed has a minimal parasitic drain of <10mA when not armed, about 40mA when armed.... so won’t adversity affect battery. Mine is wired to main battery which receives 10% of my solar charge. I’ve had no issues with discharge.
I’ve no experience with either the units you’ve listed so can’t comment.
All alerts via sms and charged at the operators rate, so about 5c per text..... depending on report frequency it can add up, mine set at 300 sec so one text every 5 min if unit is reporting a moving unit or you can request report more often.
Definitely won’t ‘rip you apart’ .... we all start somewhere and we’ll all gladly share info here on MHC.... just ask.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

Noxid
My Motorhome: Autoquest 155
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 2.0L
Subject:

Tracker

· 
Posted: 04.12.2019  ·  #5
I use the same tracker and a GiffGaff sim, can,t remember when I last had to top it up , must have been last year sometime.

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2019  ·  #6
Thanks JJF & Noxid - I had looked at GiffGaff and thought from their terms and conditions that you had to visit the UK every 4 months or so or else they diasbled the SIM(https://www.giffgaff.com/fair-usage-while-roaming). If not then it is a sweet solution. However options are beginning to appear as I was not aware of the 6 months that Vodafone offer. Benefits of an Irish forum!!

My reason for going with something battery based is that if powered off battery then it's modular, should be easier to hide and hopefully safer from an electrical point of view(open to debate). The disadvantage is the need to be regimental enough to remove and recharge while still at ca 50% charge.

10mA is about as good as you can hope for. That's 4 days of usage for 1AHr so even if solar is not great if you're taking care of your van and taking it for a spin once a week then your van battery will have no problems. These are all first world problems but it's great to be able to get good info...again apologies for jumping on this thread!!!

Rory

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.