Woody64
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Ford Herald Hallmark
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Ford Herald cab

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #1
Just want to put this out there and see what people think.

Have a 1996 Ford Herald, engine is sound (only 42,000 miles), habitation part is sound (no leaks, no damp), but the cab has a lot of (patched up by previous owner) rust.

Took it to a bodywork repair guy to take out windscreen, rebond and refit it as it was leaking. He's done a great job on it by the look of it.

I asked him to look over the cab while he had it to see what the cost of tidying it up would be.

When I picked it up today, he said his advice would be to keep running it as is until it falls apart (or fails it's test) and then put a new cab on it!

I was cold, wet and tired when he told me that and couldn't really be bothered at that moment to ask!

Anyone any idea why he may have said this?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Ford Herald cab

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #2
Only he knows.

If you want to keep it, get it rust proofed, they all fall apart in the end and Fords would be well known for it.

Woody64
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Ford Herald Hallmark
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #3
Think it may be beyond rustproofing.

It has a new bonnet, grill and bumper which are all sound, but the doors and wings are badly patched up with filler and the bulkhead(?) under the bonnet/windscreen is rotten.

I'll get some photos and post them up.....

Liked by: eirebus

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #4
photos would be good Id love to see it

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Woody64

It has a new bonnet, grill and bumper which are all sound, but the doors and wings are badly patched up with filler and the bulkhead(?) under the bonnet/windscreen is rotten.

Mk5 "Smiley" Transits seemed to rust even more quickly than the previous Mk4 (non Smiley grill). If the windscreen has been replaced previously, it is likely that the surround underneath will have been rusting away beneath.

The doors and wings can still be bought although sound ones will be harder to source. The bulkhead sounds like the bit that needs welding/fabrication to maintain the structural integrity of the cab.

Liked by: mad max

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.