Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

A really stupid question about fridges

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #1
Hi,
This is probably a really stupid question, do camp sites (and van conversions/motorhomes) run on 240V or 110V?
Asking as I'm looking at a fridge....trying to decide between 3 way vs 2 way and have seen some advertised as 110v, which surprised me?
Is seems from my initial research that the 3 way is best (although I dont know where I'd find an LPG gas bottle...I'm guessing thats different from the type that will run the hob?) but have also heard about solar powered fridges?
All new to me!!
Would love to hear from those in the know! It would be going into a van conversion and would need to be front opening...not the bucket looking type.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: A really stupid question about fridges

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #2
Fridges are 240 unless they are American which are 110.

The same gas can be used for your cooker as your fridge, three way is the preferred option.

Liked by: Davy, eirebus, Eyore, sprinter

bennyyorkie
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #3
Many thanks for your reply! |Just wondering if the gas can be used to power a 3 way fridge when you're on the more? Would suit a lot better than using the 12v for us.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #4
You should not drive with the fridge working on Gas.
12v when driving is the way it's works yourf engine alternator keeps it running.
Then 220 v mains when on hook up

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/blog/whats-the-difference-between-a-compressor-and-3-wa/

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #5
Good link I found when researching fridges - first time posting so I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting links etc

https://www.caravanrvcamping.c…-and-3-wa/

In essence

Buying a new refrigerator for your caravan? If so, you’ve probably been faced with the choice between a compressor (2-way) and 3-way refrigerator. Most portable fridges today belong to one of these two categories, and each variety has its own pros and cons. In this post, we’ll be talking about the basic differences between a compressor and 3-way refrigerator.

What is a compressor (2-way) refrigerator?

A compressor fridge gets its name from the compressor unit that generates its cooling power. This variety of portable refrigerator is also known as a 2-way fridge on account of the two ways of providing power to its compressor – the 240V mains or a 12v battery.

What is a 3-way refrigerator?

A 3-way refrigerator has 3 modes of operation – the 240V mains, a 12v battery, and LPG gas. This type of portable fridge does not include a compressor, and cools instead by means of a gas flow heat exchange system. On account of their ability to run on LPG, 3-way refrigerators do not rely on a power source and are thus hugely popular among the caravanning populace.

Which type of caravan refrigerator should you opt for?

There is no single objective answer to that question because both compressor and 3-way refrigerators have their unique advantages. You should base your choice on the nature of your requirements. As a general rule:

Opt for a compressor (2-way) refrigerator if heavy-duty cooling is your priority. Because of its powerful compressor motor, this refrigerator will be able to cool its contents down to very low temperatures. The cooling achieved by a compressor fridge will also be extremely consistent even through fluctuating outdoor conditions, which helps if you’re carrying frozen perishables that need to be stored at very specific temperatures. Besides, a compressor fridge does not require level ground to operate, unlike the 3-way variety. However, there are a few obvious trade-offs here. For starters, you’ll either need your rig to be hooked to a power source or maintain a charged battery bank. Typically, caravan batteries don’t last more than a couple of days in one charging cycle, which means that repeated charging of your battery will be needed in order to keep your compressor fridge running. Also, bear in mind that every compressor fridge will make at least a little noise while running.

Opt for a 3-way refrigerator if you’ll spend long periods of time off the grid. The LPG mode will keep your refrigerator running for up to 3 weeks at a stretch, even if you’re parked without power (if you’re using a standard 9 litre LPG bottle). What this also means is that you can go caravanning with a basic mobile home setup, meaning one that doesn’t have a battery or power source. All you’ll need to do is get a gas bottle or refill and your refrigerator will be back in business. As an added plus, 3-way fridges make no noise while running, because their heat exchange cooling mechanism is a silent process. The main downside to these fridges is the fact that they need level ground in order to function at all. Also, their cooling ability will not match up to the compressor type refrigerator in terms of consistency. Another very important consideration is that your 3-way fridge is essentially optimised for the LPG mode, and will consume huge amounts of power when running on the 240V or 12v source. Your caravan will also need a fair degree of ventilation while using the LPG mode.

So, before you purchase your new caravan refrigerator, list out your requirements and caravanning preferences. Weigh these against the pros and cons of both compressor and 3-way refrigerators before making the final decision.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #6
There are no stupid questions on here ,everything is a learning curve,if it was me I would be going for a 3way fridge then you have the best of 3 worlds ❄

bennyyorkie
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #7
Thank you so much for all the replies. Have come to a decision...its a compressor me thinks, but the price of them!!!

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #8
Choosing a compressor fridge means your van can only be used on campsites. Ours has a 3 way and is brilliant when off grid and ‘wild’ camping. You should also consider the resale value and which fridge would appeal to the wider group of buyers.

Liked by: Ally, ntg, TommyS

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #9
There are people who run their compressor fridges almost exclusively on 12 volt. It is feasible with a decent solar panel array and or a couple of large capacity batteries. I suspect though that the cost of the extra kit makes it much more expensive, especially if done on a budget. Winter is more likely to be an issue and most sites are closed.

The advent of Lithium batteries will also increase the possibility of running a 12 volt compressor, although this probably is a very expensive option since lithium’s are not drop in and need solar controller, battery to battery kit and a charger suited to lithium to say nothing of the alternator. If buying new, I would look at this option, especially when you can lever the dealer for discounts.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #10
Quote by bennyyorkie

Thank you so much for all the replies. Have come to a decision...its a compressor methinks, but the price of them!!!

For interest sake, can you explain your decision, have you a problem with gas?

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #11
If you think new is two expensive look for caravan breakers you might pick up a good one cheep

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #12
Quote by sprinter

have you a problem with gas?

Can get tablets for that.

Liked by: Davy, GMAC, sprinter, +deleted user

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #13
Talk to you later cheep cheep 😂

Liked by: Ally

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #14
I would go for the 3 way fridge. Does it have to be very big. I fitted a fridge to a T25 Volkswagen years ago. I must have measured the hole for the exhaust 20 times before I cut it.. as the guys have said if you are off grid for any length of time you will use up your battery power

Liked by: CHAUSSON, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.