Bank cards .

ber_sull
Subject:

Bank cards .

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #1
Hi ,we have been travelling through France and Spain for the last two months or so,but found that our credit cards will not work in either country ,when trying to pay the tolls.(they are aib cards).we had to pay with cash, which is a bit of a nuisance. Anyone have any idea why this should happen.By the way it wasn't just us,other Irish people had similar problems. Bernard.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: Bank cards .

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #2
Quote by ber_sull

Hi ,we have been travelling through France and Spain for the last two months or so,but found that our credit cards will not work in either country ,when trying to pay the tolls.(they are aib cards).we had to pay with cash, which is a bit of a nuisance. Anyone have any idea why this should happen.By the way it wasn't just us,other Irish people had similar problems. Bernard.

No clue to why they didnt work I'm afraid.....Did you try calling AIB and getting them to sort out the problem?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #3
We found our bank of Ireland cards, both debit and credit cards did not work either.
Best advice for tolls, get the ATMB toll tag, excellent job.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bank cards .

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #4
Irish banks have a reputation for fraud and not keeping to good banking practise and word has probably got out eventually

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2019  ·  #5
We recently spent time and money (lots of it) via PTSB Debit Card in France Germany Luxemburg and Spain without problems, also used BofI MasterCard without any issue.
We didn't use many toll roads but when we did the Debit Card worked ok.
BTW we are RoI so our cards are from Euro accounts.

Liked by: sprinter

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2019  ·  #6
I think it's something to do with recent new card security measures. I used my card to pay French tolls without a problem a few times last September, then suddenly it wouldn't scan. Later I received a text from Avantcard warning me not to use it again for that purpose. I can't remember the exact wording, but it made sense at the time.
I've also noticed recently that using my card for online purchases now involves a card verification step, I assume that's also part of the same new security set-up.
Better safe than sorry!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2019  ·  #7
Never had an issue with my First Trust which is AIB in the north paying tolls etc and I was last out in Spain in October. Have you notified them them of the countries you will be travelling in as it may be a security block on transactions not from within your own country

Liked by: CHAUSSON, panda

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2019  ·  #8
For to cover all countries inc USA I have a Barclay card and never had any problem using it only problem was paying the bill at the end

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #9
Speaking of security, I must say I'm impressed with the banks up-country... they actually seem to be removing various ATMs overnight for safe-keeping......(safe-keeping, geddit?)

Liked by: panda

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #10
On our last trip over seas we had gotten a Revolut visa card. It is a prepaid debit card and does not charge any fees other than 12 cent for withdrawing cash from an atm (which is a tax the irish government has put on all atm withdrawals). you can pay contactless up to 30 euro and the app on your phone tracks all payment and you top up the card via the app as well. they have a function of a virtual card for online transactions which is great if your details were copied as you can delete it and instantly get a new virtual card. It also gives more or less the exact conversion fee for other currencies. Well worth getting for travelling. Check out youtube videos about it. The only issue we had abroad was topping up fuel at unmanned service stations which require a large hold on the card as it is a debit card. worked fine on toll roads.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #11
Folks...My wife is currently back home in Romania. She is using our AIB bank and credit cards....Zero issues.....Never had any issues no matter where we have been in the world :-/

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #12
I use the Revolut card as you can freeze it once you have made a purchase, then open up when you need it

Liked by: eirebus

ber_sull
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.11.2019  ·  #13
I have spoken to the nice girl in aib card services, she says that all card data is stored in the chip in the card,and that the toll terminals only read the magnetic strip on the back of the card.This means they can't access the information they want and so the card is rejected. She says it's for the toll operators to sort the problem.
It seems some cards will work like ptsb and also post office current account card,there are probably others.
This is just to make people aware if they are travelling on the continent.

Liked by: Ally, baguette, eirebus, JJF, panda, sprinter, TommyS, +deleted user

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2019  ·  #14
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.