Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Internet Safety Tips

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #43
Quick question for the masses, does anyone have any objections if I were to make this topic available for public viewing rather than just in the Club chat?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #44
No, useful info all out forum members.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Talbot Express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #45
Quote by the fat controller

Quick question for the masses, does anyone have any objections if I were to make this topic available for public viewing rather than just in the Club chat?

No objections from me but then what would I know.
However the fact you brought this topic to the fore I had another read at it and as advised I switched to DuckDuckGo so I suppose that’s a start 👍

Liked by: eirebus

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #46
Just an add on, can some of the techies advise whether or not to turn off the reference to Safari

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #47
‘Safari suggestions’ would appear to be fairly benign. It will autocomplete your typing/ searches in the browser address bar, assuming you are using the Safari browser. If it bothers you, or you are not sure, just disable it. If you do not notice any disadvantage to it being disabled, then no harm done. I would rate it as a step or two below Google or Facebook search surveillance, but not complete anonymity either.

Founder
My Motorhome: JJF is giving me his
Base Vehicle: Skoda Rapide
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2020  ·  #48
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2020  ·  #49
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2020  ·  #50

Liked by: The Rambler

Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2020  ·  #51

I run linux lite with duckduck go, all my folders are incripted, if using or buying a smart ph then dont buy a standard android, buy a open ph like a pine or others running sailfish or ubuntu, all others hand your details away, you are the product.

Liked by: The Rambler

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.12.2020  ·  #52
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2021  ·  #53
**WhatsApp updates its Terms and Privacy Policy to mandate data-sharing with Facebook - Accept It or Lose Access to Whatsapp**

WhatsApp users are receiving an in-app notice today regarding the service’s new terms and privacy policy. The notice, as you can see in the attached screenshot, talks about three key updates that affect how WhatsApp processes your data, how businesses can use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats, and how WhatsApp will soon partner with Facebook to offer deeper integrations across all of the latter’s products. It further reveals that these changes will go into effect on February 8th, and users will have no choice but to accept these changes if they wish to continue using WhatsApp.

If you agree to the changes, here’s all the information WhatsApp will share with other Facebook companies: “The information we share with the other Facebook Companies includes your account registration information (such as your phone number), transaction data, service-related information, information on how you interact with others (including businesses) when using our Services, mobile device information, your IP address, and may include other information identified in the Privacy Policy section entitled ‘Information We Collect’ or obtained upon notice to you or based on your consent.”

Seeing I left Facebook on principle around how they mismanage and sell off personal data I won't be accepting these terms, so it looks like that is the end of my Whatsapp I fondly remember when it started up. I am very active though on Telegram and Signal so there are lots of alternatives in life and I won't miss those annoying Whatsapp Groups that erupt at odd hours with off-topic information.

See https://www.xda-developers.com…-facebook/

#technology #privacy #deletewhatsapp

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2021  ·  #54
Quote by MotorhomeCraic

**WhatsApp updates its Terms and Privacy Policy to mandate data-sharing with Facebook - Accept It or Lose Access to Whatsapp**

WhatsApp users are receiving an in-app notice today regarding the service’s new terms and privacy policy. The notice, as you can see in the attached screenshot, talks about three key updates that affect how WhatsApp processes your data, how businesses can use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats, and how WhatsApp will soon partner with Facebook to offer deeper integrations across all of the latter’s products. It further reveals that these changes will go into effect on February 8th, and users will have no choice but to accept these changes if they wish to continue using WhatsApp.

If you agree to the changes, here’s all the information WhatsApp will share with other Facebook companies: “The information we share with the other Facebook Companies includes your account registration information (such as your phone number), transaction data, service-related information, information on how you interact with others (including businesses) when using our Services, mobile device information, your IP address, and may include other information identified in the Privacy Policy section entitled ‘Information We Collect’ or obtained upon notice to you or based on your consent.”

Seeing I left Facebook on principle around how they mismanage and sell off personal data I won't be accepting these terms, so it looks like that is the end of my Whatsapp I fondly remember when it started up. I am very active though on Telegram and Signal so there are lots of alternatives in life and I won't miss those annoying Whatsapp Groups that erupt at odd hours with off-topic information.

See https://www.xda-developers.com…-facebook/

#technology #privacy #deletewhatsapp

That would go a long way in explaining why Faceache bought WhatsApp for 16 billion a couple of years back. At the time I couldn’t figure it out as it was free without ads. As said before ‘We are the product ‘

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2021  ·  #55
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2021  ·  #56
I’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole with WhatsApp to turn back. It’s the only platform I use bar sms and email. It’s how I stay in touch with family and friends. ☹

Liked by: eirebus, JettaJohn

Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2021  ·  #57
i only latley got first smart fone and i have nothing on it ,i`m struggling nearly every day to resist stuff ,its even funny when i tell companies i dont do online banking the look on their face ,ha

Liked by: Aly

Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2021  ·  #58
Quote by The Rambler

I’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole with WhatsApp to turn back. It’s the only platform I use bar sms and email. It’s how I stay in touch with family and friends. ☹

🤔
Now you also use Facebook and Instagram inadvertently.

Bring your contacts to Signal with you. It's surprisingly easy when you do.

Liked by: ColinM

Craic Addict
Homepage: belfastflyers.com
My Motorhome: Lunar champ H621
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2021  ·  #59
Quote by MotorhomeCraic

Quote by The Rambler

🤔
Now you also use Facebook and Instagram inadvertently.

Bring your contacts to Signal with you. It's surprisingly easy when you do.

And how long before that changes the same as what is happening to Whatsapp now. They all seem to want your personal information one way or another to make money, bombard you with relevant ads or end up charging a subscription.

Aly
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #60
Quote by stu8rty

And how long before that changes the same as what is happening to Whatsapp now. They all seem to want your personal information one way or another to make money, bombard you with relevant ads or end up charging a subscription.

Make money? LOL, of course, that's how the internet works, who do you think pays for it?
That's how everything works, newcomers to it have been brainwashed into thinking it's free when they became the product. Individuals were given platforms to build with no knowledge of how any of it worked. But MeWe and Signal (plus others now fighting back) don't make money from your data, they make it by charging you instead, optionally.

Data theft from these platforms won't happen.

MeWe already has an optional subscription and it's privacy bill is here: https://mewe.com/privacy#bill

I subscribe, id rather pay the £4.59 a month than be the product on FB. If it becomes non optional that's also fine with me. I don't mind paying for things.

Signal is open source software that can be inspected at anytime by anyone and is the only messaging app to be promoted by Snowden.
https://signal.org/
Currently it asks for donations.

I've done my homework, so, very satisfied that's the case.

Data theft, by Facebook, Google, apple, Twitter is a relatively new way of paying for services, it is not how the internet ran or it's intention to run. MeWe has on its board of directors the guy that created the internet, he is disgusted at what Facebook et all has done.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #61
Don’t do Facebook nor Twitter .... haven’t for a long time.
Exceptionally evasive and destroying lots of people’s lives who don’t even realise it’s happening.
But, the internet continues to evolve, FB and others are only the latest way of manipulating people’s vulnerabilities and making billions on the back of it.... THEY ARE SELLING YOU !.... to the highest bidder !
But, time will move on, things will continue to evolve, the ‘real’ internet isn’t found on any google search, isn’t found on any tweet.....
The real internet exists where 95-99% will never access or know how to get ...... and that’s where the next evolution will eventually manifest from, hopefully it’s transitions from a grub to a butterfly rather than from a maggot to a fly.
Time will tell.

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #62
I downloaded Signal last night. It only found 4 contacts in my address book who are on Signal. If there was mass buy-in it would be a no brainer. In the meantime it is a matter of encouraging f&f by word of mouth to download it.

I wish it had a feature that alerted any contact via sms, that you tried to message and who is not on Signal. Something like "John Doe sent you a message on Signal. Download here (link), to view message"

Liked by: Aly, eirebus

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Avantgarde 175
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 140 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #63
I'm not a computer guru or techie like a lot you you guys, but what's wrong with WhatsApp?.....Most people have it on their phones and I use it quite a lot for my work etc. I only know 2 people using Signal.....both Craicers 🤔

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #64
Quote by panda

I'm not a computer guru or techie like a lot you you guys, but what's wrong with WhatsApp?.....Most people have it on their phones and I use it quite a lot for my work etc. I only know 2 people using Signal.....both Craicers 🤔

The problem with WhatsApp is highlighted in post #53 John. Very invasive access to your data. This will not be a problem for a lot of people, but then again, a lot of people don't see a problem with Alexa either.

Liked by: Aly, eirebus, panda

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #65
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #66
Dont use Facebook nor have an Alexa etc so wont worry about it. Thing is....I get lots of customers wanting to Whattsapp pictures of damage to their cars for estimates etc.....I have to use the platform that most people are using, I cant tell them to use Signal or whatever to send pics as I dont like Whattsapp........simple as that really.

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #67
Quote by panda

Dont use Facebook nor have an Alexa etc so wont worry about it. Thing is....I get lots of customers wanting to Whattsapp pictures of damage to their cars for estimates etc.....I have to use the platform that most people are using, I cant tell them to use Signal or whatever to send pics as I dont like Whattsapp........simple as that really.

I can see your predicament John.

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #68
With the up coming changes to WhatsApp terms I will not be using it after 8/2/21 as I won't agree to the data share. I have told family and friends what and why I am doing it, if they want to get me its either sms or signal from that date, if they continue to use WhatsApp after that it up to them. I have been on it for a number of months now and I have started seeing a gradual move of business contacts over to it

Liked by: Aly, eirebus, JJF, sprinter

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #69
Your call

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #70
All very dramatic stuff alright. Again though....I'm not bothered as I dont use facebook or any social sites. I dont do any banking or financial transactions via my phone. I dont buy anything on ebay or Amazon with my phone either so how can these changes affect me?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #71
No, completely right John.
You evaluate the risk, accept or reject their conditions based on your evaluation and either agree or disagree to accept then.
There’s no wrong nor right answer for everyone, just a different opinion.
No doubt many will continue to use WhatsApp, many now have made the call that they’re no longer comfortable with the intrusive data harvesting and privacy incursion that’s happening.

Everyone’s different and that’s fine.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #72
Tell you what though Jon.....It will be paying close attention from next month on and I'll see if theres a decline in my customers using WhatsApp....Be interesting to see. I dont care which platform I use once everyone's using it.

Liked by: GMAC

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2021  ·  #73
Well I just downloaded Signal and found 4 of my contacts on it. Looks like an up hill struggle to get them all on board

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #74
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Well I just downloaded Signal and found 4 of my contacts on it. Looks like an up hill struggle to get them all on board

Ditto Albert....Just downloaded Signal and 4 contacts on it....3 of them Craicers!

Will leave it installed and see how she goes.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #75
Thanks! Very useful and should be shared with everyone.

Liked by: Aly, sprinter

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #76
Aly
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #77
Best wishes for 2021

Absolutely Brilliant ...

Ordering a Pizza in 2022

CALLER:
Is this Pizza Hut?

GOOGLE:
No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER:
I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.

GOOGLE:
No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.

CALLER:
OK. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE:
Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER:
My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE:
According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER:
Super! That’s what I’ll have.

GOOGLE:
May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER:
What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!

GOOGLE:
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER:
How the hell do you know that?

GOOGLE:
Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER:
Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE:
Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.

CALLER:
I bought more from another Pharmacy.

GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER:
I paid in cash.

GOOGLE:
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER:
I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!

CALLER:
WHAT THE HELL!

GOOGLE:
I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER:
Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE:
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago.

Welcome to the future....

Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #78
After reading that I'm with you guys....I'm going to become a "Prepper " and get ready for Armageddon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #79
🤨🤦

Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #80
Quote by panda

After reading that I'm with you guys....I'm going to become a "Prepper " and get ready for Armageddon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well we appear to have a sceptic in our midst. I don't know about you folks, but I think we are being mocked. You know what else I notice? Panda backwards spells Adnap. And according to the Urban Dictionary, is defined as

Adnap - noun:
The act of napping during commercials or other advertisments.
I was tired but wanted to watch the Daily Show, so i took an adnap when i could.
by uc3matt October 02, 2007

That figures. He most be immune to online advertising.  🤨

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.