Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Control Panel - power button pushed in.

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #1
Hi all,
our power button on the control panel has sunken in to the panel slightly (See photo - top right button).
It’s still turning on and off the power but needs to be handled with extreme care as it could go in further.

Any tips on if this is something a novice like myself could try to fix?
What’s the best way to approach fixing this or should I just get an electrics / mechanic to look at it?

Thanks for any advice.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Control Panel - power button pushed in.

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #2
That can be a pain in the arse to fix. I’ve had similar on panels, non Motorhome. From the constant pressing the rubber can get weak and it sort of creases and stays half in, as you say. A replacement rubber, sooner rather than later is the best option, if possible, as you keep worrying it to get it to work and end up damaging the actual push switch underneath

Liked by: just_manu

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #3
Do you know if its the rubber degrading or the board/switch/board mount inside the panel thats giving way?

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #4
Quote by <BM>

Do you know if its the rubber degrading or the board/switch/board mount inside the panel thats giving way?

Thanks for the reply.
It seems that it’s the mount inside the panel that has given way.
Up until now it’s been a little ‘sensitive’ when pressing, sometimes having to be pressed twice to either turn on or off.
Is it hard to first remove the panel an secondly get inside the panel to try to fix? Tks.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2019  ·  #5
That sounds like the actual card has cracked, and subsequently moved back. That can happen from hard pushing. If you can get at it, a bit of 2 pack adhesive could bind it back. Even a strategically placed cardboard could cure the problem. Just be careful opening it, should be simple if you can remove it from the front fascia plate

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #6
Quote by just_manu

Quote by <BM>

Thanks for the reply.
Up until now it’s been a little ‘sensitive’ when pressing, sometimes having to be pressed twice to either turn on or off.
Is it hard to first remove the panel an secondly get inside the panel to try to fix? Tks.

That's often how these things start to fail. What's important is doing something to support the board ASAP because if that fails, you're in a whole world of extra hurt.

Are there any obvious assembly screws to allow the unit open up? They may be concealed behind labels or perhaps the unit detaches from the wall and the assembly screws are on the back side.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #7
Quote by <BM>

Quote by just_manu

Quote by <BM>

Thanks for the reply.

That's often how these things start to fail. What's important is doing something to support the board ASAP because if that fails, you're in a whole world of extra hurt.

Are there any obvious assembly screws to allow the unit open up? They may be concealed behind labels or perhaps the unit detaches from the wall and the assembly screws are on the back side.

Yeah, I’m kind of reluctant to go pulling at it in case I damage it. (Would be a real nightmare to find a replacement!)
There seems to be some very thin release points on the bottom and maybe the top of the panel. No sign of screws, at least on the front.
I’ll also take a look at the back which is in the cupboard so maybe it can be detached to get better access.

If I can find someone who knows what they might be at I think it would be my best bet.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #8
Quote by just_manu

Quote by <BM>

Quote by just_manu

Quote by <BM>

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I’m kind of reluctant to go pulling at it in case I damage it. (Would be a real nightmare to find a replacement!)
There seems to be some very thin release points on the bottom and maybe the top of the panel. No sign of screws, at least on the front.
I’ll also take a look at the back which is in the cupboard so maybe it can be detached to get better access.

If I can find someone who knows what they might be at I think it would be my best bet.

Best not to force it if you can avoid it but you can repair the plastic housing much easier than the PCB if you cracked it

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #9
This is an easy fix, that control panal is the same as a chausson one if you put your fingernail behind the panel top and bottom at each end it it will just pop of then there are four screws this will that the panel out split it push your button back in put it back together again job done

Liked by: Mark&Wendy

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Photos of control panel

· 
Posted: 03.11.2019  ·  #10

i

Liked by: <BM>, just_manu, sprinter

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #11
Quote by hillton9

i

Great!!
I’ll give this a go this evening and report back.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #12
We had the same problem with our Chausson, I just put a bit of cardboard behind the switch.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #13
Quote by hillton9

This is an easy fix, that control panal is the same as a chausson one if you put your fingernail behind the panel top and bottom at each end it it will just pop of then there are four screws this will that the panel out split it push your button back in put it back together again job done

Right, I got a go at this and it was very easy to remove following your instructions Hilton9, thanks for the advice.

It seems that one of the little plastic ‘arms’ for the button broke of the frame and actually looks like it may break on another bit.
I think that a bit of superglue under the little arm and just around the edge of the lip of the button should do the trick (see yellow highlights in first pic).
What do yee reckon??
I know superglue will not be too forgiving once used but hopefully I’ll not have to revisit it! 🤞

The second pic shows the button in its pushed in state and shows the broken ‘arm’ clearly.
I think superglue will do the trick. Not sure what else I could do?
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #14
Possibly use specific glue for plastic ( airfix ) just a thought

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #15
Is the plastic arm not made to flex, so that the plastic presses against the switch. Glueing it down its length may affect the operation of the button. Hard to see in the photo.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Is the plastic arm not made to flex, so that the plastic presses against the switch. Glueing it down its length may affect the operation of the button. Hard to see in the photo.

Hi Mark, yes I know what you mean.
The actual switch part is to to right of the button where there is a plastic vertical arm that pushes into the rubber switch to turn on and off.
I’m assuming that if I glue just along the top left where the broken arm is and a bit along the top seal then Im thinking the right side will flex enough to function properly. (I hope!)
When I hold down the broken arm and the button is in the correct position the button works fine.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Control Panel - power button pushed in.

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #17
Justin , borrow one of the glue guns off the children and put a good glob on it sets really hard and if necessary you can pick that type of glue off in future.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #18
Are the button supports the same for each button, do you have one that is completely intact?

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #19
Quote by <BM>

Are the button supports the same for each button, do you have one that is completely intact?

Hi BM, all other button supports seem fine to me.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #20
Are the components the same, do you have an unmolested example to compare the broken one to? Is there a redundant button in there that you can swap the support over?

Liked by: CHAUSSON

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #21
Quote by <BM>

Are the components the same, do you have an unmolested example to compare the broken one to? Is there a redundant button in there that you can swap the support over?

Hmm, you might be on to something there! There is an outside light button and we don’t have an outside light. I’ll take a look and see if it’s possible to swap them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #22
I think your right with the superglue again if like mine you’ve no outside light change them over and glue it in again

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #23
Oh to have a 3D printer 🧐

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2019  ·  #24
Quote by hillton9

I think your right with the superglue again if like mine you’ve no outside light change them over and glue it in again

Ok, I got busy with the superglue this evening.
Swapping the buttons wasn’t an option really as it would mean breaking the spare button arms to swap them around so just went with the glue option.

I just glued the left side of the button and all seems to be working perfectly!

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.

Yet another problem fixed with help from this great forum !!

Liked by: <BM>, Ally, CHAUSSON, eirebus, Mark&Wendy, ntg, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.