Importing from Germany tips

Tony7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2019  ·  #1
Hi, Importing my first camper van on this coming Friday from Germany! Just looking for last minute advice on the following
1. What specific documents should I get from dealer (to make life easier on return.. VRT etc)
2. I'm driving to Cherbourg (so passing through Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France) so apart from my D/L, Passport, Vehicle Documents, warning triangle, yellow vest and light bulbs, do I need anything else?
3. The German dealer is fitting temporary plates and arranging Insurance (which is valid for 30 days apparently) Is this insurance valid on landing in Ireland until I get it tested or do I need separate Irish insurance (if so which is the best Irish insurer going forward?)
4. I plan to stop overnight in Ghent (Belgium-Yachtfree) and possibly Bayoux (France) (collecting van Friday getting ferry Sunday afternoon)…any tips on overnighting?
5. Finally plan to pick up some wine in or near Cherbourg (any tips?…Normandie Wines looks like a possibility.. or Carrefour??

Thanks

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Importing from Germany tips

· 
Posted: 28.10.2019  ·  #2
I can only help with the wine. WBS Wine and Beer supplies. On road into Cherbourg on the right. 3 french hens, white and red, both class for €4 a bottle. Good luck with the journey.

Tony7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2019  ·  #3
Thanks Mark&Wendy!!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2019  ·  #4
As Mark said winebeersupermarket WBS,have a look st their website before you go it will give you some idea's
Tell Fred or Chris you're an Irish Craicer and we sent you.
Bayoux (France) would be a good stop the Tapestry is worth a look.

Tony7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2019  ·  #5
Thanks Sprinter 👍

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2019  ·  #6
Maybe ask the dealer to fill/half fill the water tank and supply a cylinder of gas. Being able to have heat on the overnights will handy.

When you get to the NCT centre double check all the details that they take - number of seats, make, model etc. Revenue just transfer whatever details NCT take onto the "log book". Easier to have it correct from the off, than trying to get it amended later.

You need to arrange an NCT assessment within 30 days of arriving in the state - otherwise they start applying penalties. Again make sure NCT have their dates right here. It's not the date on the sales invoice, but date of landing that counts.

The export insurance is good for all EU countries AFAIK, but Dolmen will insure on the VIN pending issue of permanent plate.

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2019  ·  #7
Is yout van new or second hand ,was looking to buy in Germany but can only afford second hand

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2019  ·  #8
Quote by MickyMac

.................. When you get to the NCT centre double check all the details that they take - number of seats, make, model etc. Revenue just transfer whatever details NCT take onto the "log book". Easier to have it correct from the off, than trying to get it amended later...............................

Very good advice. Unless you want the Registration Certificate to be a work of fiction it's important that, in particular, the following details are correct.
  • The number of seats (S.1 on the cert) should equal the number of official 'travel seats', that's those fitted with seat belts and includes the driver's seat, listing just two is not unusual.

• EU Vehicle Category ( J ) on the cert) should be M1, a passenger vehicle. Not N1 which is a goods vehicle, that's a very common error

• Mass in Service, GVW, (F.1 on the cert) should be what it is on the original registration cert, it can also be found on the VIN plate. often a figure of 1kg and not what is on the VIN plate is entered.

Tony7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2019  ·  #9
Thanks for all those replies! Information invaluable (dealer will include 1 Gas canister and fill water tank). Knaus Box Star 2011 2/3 berth (mobile.de).

Liked by: panda, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2019  ·  #10
Nice-looking van enjoy the trip home and forever after :up:

corkabroadsoon
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2020  ·  #11
Hi Tony, how did you get on with that venture? I'm hoping to do something similar.

I'd be buying an older one to use for a year before reselling. I wouldn't come back to Ireland aside from Christmas.

Who did you go to in Germany?

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2020  ·  #12
Depends where in Germany you are coming from but when I did my pickup from near Frankfurt, I drove along the E40 -E42-E420 to a Village called Marcoing in France and stayed the night there then continued on the next morning, there isn't much in the village but the aire is handy and quiet and there will be a bakery open on the way out.
I had to travel through Belgium, some of the roads there are absolutely terrible, like they haven't fixed bomb damage from the 2nd world war.
Watch out for potholes!
Try and travel by day if possible, driving at night only adds to the stress of driving a LHD for the first time and while you do get used to it having good vision makes it easier to navigate.
The weather looks to be good enough no real snow yet so having Winter tyres won't be an issue yet I don't think.
The insurance on the German plates will cover you in Ireland until you manage to get the vehicle registered here.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.