Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Coachmen Leprechaun

· 
Posted: 06.05.2013  ·  #41
Quote by CHAUSSON

Great to see the project back on track, Kevin. Could you not have sandblasted the undercarrage and saved yourself a lot of work? Looking forward to more updates.

Yes, I tried sandblasting a small section but it wasn't that good at getting the rubbery underseal off. The blasting media embedded itself in the thicker layers of sealer and made it even harder to remove! :'(
Using a sharp wood chisel and petrol soaked rags seems to be the best approach for now having tried numerous other methods... :( Then finishing with a twistknot wirebrush to get the loose material off...

Working my way back:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #42
Remember those days, removing old underseal, although it was usually on Classic Minis so a tad smaller !

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #43
smaller and easier, we always used to roll the mini onto its roof to do jobs like that :whistle:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #44
Quote by the fat controller

smaller and easier, we always used to roll the mini onto its roof to do jobs like that :whistle:

I wish!! :lol:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #45
A few photos from the genuine 1980 GMC and Coachmen sales brochures I picked up a while back. (eBay)

Lovin' the deep shag-pile carpet and the 80's hairdo's on the ladies... :lol:

Coachmen Brochure:

And the GMC Brochure:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #46
Well Kevin we can all but dream. We did not really appreciate those days and I've got both happy and sad memories of the. More happy I'm glad to say.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2013  ·  #47
I got our Coleman furnace working today! What a treat. It took a while to find the electrical fault, but I eventually found it. The furnace fired up strong and gave very good heat throughout the camper. I didn't run it for long as I want to get the camper gas systems checked professionally before using them. One duct up at the front of the camper is not putting out any heat (or air) so I'll eventually have a look at that. I'm guessing the ducting has been blocked (or crushed) along the line somewhere...

Coleman furnace (front panel removed)

I read somewhere that Coleman no longer make RV furnaces and spare parts are getting hard to come by so I don't know what fate will become of this furnace. If I get it serviced professionally, I'm no sure if the parts can be got....

I also got more of the under-seal stripped off! It's getting a bit easier to remove as I get closer to the back of the camper. Now that I have some bright silver paint on underneath, its starting to look very good under there. Hardly anyone will ever see it, but I'll know its good and shiny underneath... lol

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2013  ·  #48
drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2013  ·  #49
Hi Kevin, congrats on the job you are doing.
I would love to have the skills to attempt a project like that.
It must give you great satisfaction.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2013  ·  #50
Thanks for the link Will! There are too many differences there for it to be of any significant use to me but thanks for sharing it anyway. I appreciate it. It always gives me a buzz to come across coachmen motorhomes for sale on eBay & other sites. I've sent the seller a couple of questions about one or two minor pieces of trim from the coach body however I see on the description that he has already removed the body from the chassis. I don't yet know if he removed the component parts carefully or with a sledgehammer...

He's a bit optimistic with the price he has in mind for what's left considering the state of it, but he did say reluctant sale so maybe he wants to keep it!

In the meantime.... I have an update for this thread!

FINALLY, the donor van is now at my disposal! We collected it recently and couldn't be more excited about having it at home. The external shell is identical to our own, but there are are some differences on the floor & bulkhead. I think I can work with it. The main thing is that there is virtually no rust on the parts that I intend to use :-)

This was the state of it when I bought it. All of the pieces that I need are right here!

My son just started his summer holidays from secondary school and so his first job of the summer is to strip out the dashboard and all the gubbins behind it!

Let the carnage begin... :devil:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2013  ·  #51
Well, we've had a busy couple of days stripping down the donor van. Its nice to see virtually no rust on the parts that I need. :D I only need to do a few rust repairs around the windscreen opening. I was going to just wirebrush the bad bits, treat the rust and use some filler, but I think I'll spend the time cutting out the cancer and weld in some clean metal. Get it done right.

I need to find a way to remove the black rubbery material that has been sprayed onto the front of the bulkhead. It looks like GM used this stuff as a remedial cure for water ingress? I want to get it back to paint only and make the engine bay a bit more presentable...

Before I cut the cab from the donor chassis, I have some modifications to do on the driver side bulkhead & foot-well area. The engine cover, bulkhead & foot-well in the donor van are different to our van, so I need to widen the driver side foot-well by 2.5 inches and make provision for our steering column that passes through the floor in a lower position. I alsowant to make room for our foot controls that are positioned differently. That'll be the next step in the project...

It's nice to finally be working with metal instead of rust & cobwebs.... :lol:

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2013  ·  #52
i bet sombodys son will be glad to get back to school :D keep up the good work kevin

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2013  ·  #53
I spoke to my mechanic about removing the sealant around the bulkhead, he said he has no easy solution. In the past he has used a heat gun and scrapper but it's a bit of a job.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2013  ·  #54
Quote by eirebus

i bet sombodys son will be glad to get back to school :D keep up the good work kevin

That is a fact! Although I have to commend him, he gets on with the jobs set before him.
Of course he'd prefer to be in home playing xbox 14 hrs a day... :lol:

Quote by Chevy g20

I spoke to my mechanic about removing the sealant around the bulkhead, he said he has no easy solution. In the past he has used a heat gun and scrapper but it's a bit of a job.

Thanks Paul, I'm going to have a look at it tonight when I get home. The guys over on vannin.com made a few suggestions also. I'm hoping to preserve the original paint underneath the rubbery stuff if possible. Not sure if that'll pan out or not. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2013  ·  #55
Quote by Chevy g20

It didn't turn out so bad in the end, just needed a fair bit of elbowgrease.. I Tried the heat gun method but it made it even harder to remove the rubbery black stuff when it turned sticky & gloopy. So I tried the extreme opposite. I used a can of "freeze-it". Which froze the black stuff and made it much easier to pry away from the surface using a 2" scraper.
Finished off by a wipe down with a drop of acetone to remove the final traces...

Followed by some degreasing and pressurewashing.

It got to go for one last spin before it made the final ultimate sacrifice: :lol:

Lined up and ready for the final "grinder session" the very next morning:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2013  ·  #56
Freeze-it! What is it used for? And where can you buy it?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2013  ·  #57
Quote by CHAUSSON

Freeze-it! What is it used for? And where can you buy it?

It says "plumbing and electrical use" on the can Pat.

I bought it to freeze a water pipe so I could change a dodgy valve... (couldn't find the mains valve at the time). It froze the water in a 1/2" pvc pipe and gave me enough time to replace the bad valve.

see the video -

I got it from screwfix direct a couple of years ago.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2013  ·  #58
Every motorhome should have a can of it! Think of it, instant chilled Beer, Oooo I could sink a can of Bulmers now. :D 8-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2013  ·  #59
just the one! I know there is a tin of Stella Cidre sitting in my fridge waiting for me.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.07.2013  ·  #60
This pic was taken on the hottest day of the year. It was sweltering!

But she finally gave in to me. I was surprised just how many spot welds were holding the donor cab in place.

I made up an alignment jig/trolley to make sure things didn't buckle or twist too much during therepairs & modifications. So we bolted it down, measured and checked, and it was ready for the next phase.

The donor cab is getting closer to the front of that camper every day!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2013  ·  #61
The front bumper from the donor van polished up really nice. Apart from one small dent, its in great shape and is in far better condition than the original.

I was going to remove the over-riders but they've grown on me so I'll leave them in place for now.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2013  ·  #62
I was updating my photo album last night and I noticed I had two photos taken roughly from the same angle. One of what remains of the old bulkhead on the camper... and one of the bulkhead on the donor van.
I know some of you don't see much in the bits that I'm working on right now, BUT for me, the new bulkhead is a thing of beauty!! :lol: :lol:

I'm going to get this pic framed and I might put it up in the camper as a reminder...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2013  ·  #63
Chalk and Cheese, Kevin. Do you realise how lucky you were to come accross that donor vehicle? Now you are going to end up with a lovely sound Motorhome. Is the cab bolted to the chassis? and is the living part of the Rv ok?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #64
Quote by CHAUSSON

Chalk and Cheese, Kevin. Do you realise how lucky you were to come accross that donor vehicle? Now you are going to end up with a lovely sound Motorhome. Is the cab bolted to the chassis? and is the living part of the Rv ok?

Thanks Pat.

Yes I do! It's far better to have a donor vehicle in the long run. Everything should line up nice and look factory finish (or better) when done. My original intention to hand form all the panels would never have looked as good in the end.

The cab was welded to the chassis, but with only around 150 spot welds. Not as easy as a bolt on bolt off job, but still do-able.

The accommodation is in great shape, but needs some TLC. One bit of repair work is needed on the ceiling in the overcab where it must've leaked a long time ago. It no longer leaks but the ceiling is drooping a little by the forward skylight. Everything else in the accommodation unit is in good order, just a little tired...
Carol (my wife) has some great ideas to re-vamp the coach interior. That'll be the fun bit and I'm looking forward to that!!

I was hoping to keep the restoration 100% original, but the camper is a family project and so all input & improvements will be entertained... ^_^

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2013  ·  #65
Quote by Blag

Next job is to get the cab into my workshop where I can continue prepping it for the transplant....

That is the bit I am most looking forward to, it all going back together. I'm sure you are too! :)

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #66
Kevin that is just incredible. Serious respect. Hope you get to enjoy her on the road before too long.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2013  ·  #67
I'm working on the windscreen surround at the moment, cutting out the rotten metal and replacing it with new. But I just can't get motivated today for some reason.... :(
Sitting here at the laptop isn't going to get me anywhere... Kettle is on, I'll head back out after a cuppa....

I did a bit lastnight:

Rust:

Cut out:

derust & treat:

Patch welded in, blended down & primed:

There were several minor rust patches on the lower edge that I decided to cut out too.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2013  ·  #68
Thanks Jack. :up: I need to be awarded alright, maybe with a free head examination! This weekend was tough trying to stay motivated... Didn't get a whole bunch done while faffing around...

Driver side floor mods finished.
I still need to add some polyurethane "car body sealer" over the seams to protect the joints and give it the factory look. This will all be hidden under some DYNAMAT soundproofing anyway, but at least I'll know its strong & tidy under there... :-)

Before/After

A little over 2.5 inches added to the width of the drivers foot well (engine tunnel squeezed in a bit). There's plenty of room for the pedals & steering column now...

The hole for the old steering column on the upper bulkhead is now welded up and a new hole to suit our camper steering column is now in place below it.

The welds may not be pretty, but they're strong with 100% penetration.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2013  ·  #69
Old pic:

There's a big rubber "boot" to cover over the teardrop hole I cut in the floor. Unfortunately its proving to be a major pain in the butt trying to get a new one. I've been scouring the internet for a while now but I haven't sound anywhere that sells them yet. Ours is pretty beat up and cracked in all directions. i guess the rubber has hardened & dried out... I might have no option but to repair it. I'm not sure if an item like this can be repaired? Even if the cracks could be filled/vulcanised maybe it might do me...

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2013  ·  #70
A friend sent this link to me earlier today. A Coachmen leprechaun that sold for $1265 at auction. Its pretty rough, and has a different floor plan to ours, but it had some god reference photos for me to use for the painted stripes along the side. Ours doesn't have the stripes on our cab, I guess due to it being repainted years ago.. I'm not sure if i like the stripes on the cab or not...

This one has bunkbeds at the rear of the RV.

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-…32/showall

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2013  ·  #71
I made pretty good progress this weekend. I had my first "dry fit" on the cab.

What made it a real pain was the fact that just about everything needed a fair bit of adjustment to make it fit. The new wing i got from the US needed quite a lot of re-shaping to get it to line up with the panels around it. But still, I'm glad to have been able to get it together for a bit...

There is still tons of tweaking to do.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2013  ·  #72
Great work Kevin, I need a sill patched, pity you are so far away :D :D :D

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.09.2013  ·  #73
Working on the front core supports...

Here's an older photo of the passenger side core support on the original cab.

Here's a pic of the core support on the donor cab -

You'll notice the core support plates are different. Our camper has a larger single H4 headlight lamp positioned over a smaller rectangular indicator lamp. The donor van has smaller dual headlamps.

The lamps from the camper won't fit the core support plates on the donor cab, so some modifications will be needed...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.09.2013  ·  #74
Would you not concider to use the grill and lamps of the donor van? I know it would be more orignal with it's own front.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2013  ·  #75
Quote by CHAUSSON

Would you not consider to use the grill and lamps of the donor van? I know it would be more original with it's own front.

I toyed around with the idea of using dual lamps on the camper alright, but the lad I bought the donor van from had already taken the grill & plastic headlight bezels. I could buy a set of dual lamp bezels and a grill to suit the new core support for around €100, but in the end, as you've guessed, I'd prefer to keep the original "character" of the camper by using the original bits where possible.
Ah, it shouldn't be too big a deal to make our own lamps work, but it all just takes time... (and a fair bit of bashing with a hammer :lol: )

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2013  ·  #76
I think the lights and grill of your original are nicer. Good decision.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2013  ·  #77
I called around to my folks place today and my dad had a little surprise waiting for me....

My dad bought a full airbag kit years ago, but he never got around to fitting the compressor kit. He fitted the bags to the rear axle but used the more basic schrader valve set up for airing the bags up or down.

So there sat the compressor kit... in a box... on a shelf... for years.

Another little thing to add to my "things to do" list... :D

And now for another unrelated item:

Some random photos I found on the interweb. Chevy van production line, back in the late 70's I recon:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2013  ·  #78
Blag,
If that tube is 1/4" and you need more or if you need some of the 1/4" fittings i can get them for you handy enough as i use them on a daily basis in work,
I'm looking forward to the day the coachman is on the road, keep up the good work and posts :up: :up:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2013  ·  #79
I spent the day (actually the weekend) struggling to get our passenger side door to fit right. I had major hassle trying to get the wing to fit properly too. There was me thinking it'd all just line up with no fuss.

It took every trick in the book to get it bent into shape...

The door panel gaps are ok now but I still have a little to do with the main body line. The line on the door isn't quite matching the one on the wing. It needs another bit of work to get it looking right...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2013  ·  #80
Looking at the photo Kevin, The top line looks ok, It's the bottom line that looks wrong! That was a common problem back in the 1980's when using spurious panels and I often camouflaged them by fitting a penstripe along the line.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.