nmchugh
My Motorhome: Tabbert FFB Classic 580
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5td
Subject:

Fridge query

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #1
Hi

First of all sorry if this question has been asked before.. I bought a campervan a few months ago, its been running great for us thank God. We 've been on numerous weekends away and just did 11 days all over ireland. I'm planning now on what jobs I should do on it before the winter, and I remember the guy I bought if off told me that there is a small job that has to be done on the fridge every year, which involves pulling the fridge out and maybe something to do with the vents. And thats all I remember on that, does anyone know more about this so that I know what to ask for when I am bringing it in for a service. Sorry if this is very vague but that's all I remember on that particular tip.
The van is an A class Tabbert FFB Classic 580 (1996) .

Regards

Noreen

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Fridge query

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #2
If the fridge is working leave it alone, if you have vent covers put them on when the outside temperature goes below 8 deg, if you don't have them it's not a problem either, the fridge is supposed to work better with the covers on in winter and they also help to keep out snow and leaves

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #3
STOP, Do not pull your fridge out. ,is it working on gas road hookup if it’s running on these ok then don’t touch it the only thing to do if your putting your van of the road for winter is keep your fridge running would you turn your house fridge of over winter , I think not this is where a lot of people go wrong because a fridge is in your van ,oh I’ll turn that of now that I’m not using my camper if your on hook up at home run it on hookup, once a week run it on gas for a few hours and run it on road for as long as you want to run your engine ,my fridge is never of in fact I always keep my beer in it as this gives the fridge something to cool ,and once every two months I defrost it ,again don’t pull your fridge out ,cold weather covers I’ve never had to use as the heat from the fridge means I don’t need them .

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #4
I turn my fridge on when i buy my van and other than for defrosting it stays on all the time.
I use hookup when back at home.
Who ever switches the fridge off in their house?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #5
Quote by ntg

I turn my fridge on when i buy my van and other than for defrosting it stays on all the time.

Hmm, I was led to believe they are not made for so much prolonged us. There are quite different than our household fridges.

But, as you are older than me you are wiser so I'm away to turn my fridge on :)

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #6
I’d have no issue with leaving the fridge on, on ehu, when parked up, maybe for weeks at a time. But what about your leisure batteries being on charge at 13.8 volts indefinitely. I’m not so sure they will react positively to that. Therefore I switch on the fridge the day before I move and switch it off when I’m finished. I really cannot see the problem with turning off the fridge. You wouldn’t leave your oven on continuously. What’s the difference, only the amount of power used.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Motorhome Ireland

Quote by ntg

Hmm, I was led to beleive they are not made for so much prolonged us. There are quite different than our household fridges.

But, as you are older than me you are wiser so I'm away to turn my fridge on :)

I might be older but not sure about the wiser thing. :lol:

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #8
Big difference in a domestic compressor driven fridge than an evaporation type found in motorhomes. Some of the newer RV fridges have compressors but as a whole evaporation types still are mainstream for our type of use.... not as efficient as the compressor types but the ability to operate over the 3 mediums is important for off grid use and the 220v side of things would only be one of the 3 ways they’re designed to operate.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #9
I always turn the fridge off when the van is not in use, why keep an empty fridge cold

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #10
Mine also has a clip that ensure the door is kept open just a craic when it’s off to stop any mould.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #11
Always turn off fridge when not in use. Pointless leaving on i would have thought, waste of energy too. When I'm not away, I do fire it up when i take the van out for a weekly spin. I think moving van around allows for the fridge amonia and other chemicals to have a good slosh around rather than being static for prolonged periods of time.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #12
I think everyone has their own idea's, I don't think any of them are wrong, per se. Maybe we all need to RTFM 😁

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.