The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Cheap code reader

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #1
So Aldi are selling OBD II code readers. Link.

Anyone try one, be it Aldi or another cheap one? Is it worth having?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Cheap code reader

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #2
If all you want is to read and clear codes, it'll do the job.

I'd recommend springing an extra few quid for something with a bit more functionality though. Being able to re-set dashboard warning lights and read live diagnostic data and such is very useful, depending on how much you really want to dig into it.

My "go-to" reader is an ELM327 OBD2 wireless scanner that I can read from my phone or tablet. Handy tool. I also have a V Gate VS450 that I use on audi/vw's. I only use that for resetting fault lights though. Both were fairly cheap on ebay.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Cheap code reader

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #3
Yeah I figured @Blag . I finally got around to dropping my van into a garage only today to get that recent engine stall problem looked at, so I guess they can have a look at the codes for me. I told them not to spend much time looking at it as it has not happened in the last few outings. And besides my handbrake needs fixing now.

I think I’ll give the cheap code reader a miss. Who knows, maybe I’ll get something with more diagnostics if I ever have a hole burning in my pocket. Cheers.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.