t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

Scotland.... Must dos

· 
Posted: 08.10.2019  ·  #1
Heading away tomorrow for a last minute trip to sunny Scotland. Sailing into Cairnryan, plan is to drive up to Loch Lomond, along coast to avoid Glasgow, then Fort William, along Loch Ness onto some of the NC500, to John OGroats.
Must dos along the way? Cable car onto Ben Nevis, looking for Nessy, recreating some of the 'skyfall' photos. Scotland is fairly new to us, so what HAVE we to do along the road?

TIA, Conrad

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Scotland.... Must dos

· 
Posted: 08.10.2019  ·  #2
I’ll watch this with interest. Did you get a good ferry deal.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #3
Glencoe is a lovely place to stop, wildcamp in the Glen itself, imagine the ghosts of the massacre, also the wildlife comes right up to the van, deer etc,

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #4
Quote by t18con

Heading away tomorrow for a last minute trip to sunny Scotland. Sailing into Cairnryan, plan is to drive up to Loch Lomond, along coast to avoid Glasgow, then Fort William, along Loch Ness onto some of the NC500, to John OGroats.
Must dos along the way? Cable car onto Ben Nevis, looking for Nessy, recreating some of the 'skyfall' photos. Scotland is fairly new to us, so what HAVE we to do along the road?

TIA, Conrad

I have just seen your post Conrad so I suspect you are now at this side of the water, I trust you had a good crossing.
Just a thought, Ayr is a nice place to stop, park by the beach but when you pass Irvine I would leave the coast and point towards Paisley, crossing the Erskine bridge through Dumbarton and upwards. The village of Luss on your right,was famous as the setting for a TV soap called "Take the High Road".
Fort William has a very large car park as you enter the town last time I was there it had a couple of dozen motorhomes in it.
on the road out to Ben Nevis is a nice camping site at the foot of the Mountain, once when we were there as a family they were filming "Rob Roy".
Further up you must stop at Fort Augustus and watch the boats climb the many locks like steps of stairs. Inverness is a nice town to spend time in and then as you go north for John o Groats you may consider going left via Ullapool, campsite by the water opposite where the ferry comes in from Stornoway every day, and some cruise ships, and then follow the east and northern coasts on roads you will not believe right to John o Groats.
Enjoy your travels.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.