eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

batterys

· 
Posted: 01.11.2012  ·  #1
i have 2 leisure batterys in the van 1 of which boiled while we were in broughshane aire the other is fine and working well after i disconnected the dud battery does anybody know what would have caused this

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: batterys

· 
Posted: 01.11.2012  ·  #2
Not sure but ask Naomi, she managed to boil our EHU's :lol:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2012  ·  #3
We had the same problem two years ago.
Basicly I was told it was a sh*t battery.

I replaced both with elecsol 110 amp.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2012  ·  #4
I think what should be posted here is the awful smell the boiling batteries created (I was with Dave when it happened) so that other members know what to look out for.

Rotten Eggs with a bit of a burning sensation on the back of the throat! the smell was incredible, but was very like a smelly waste tank and easily mistaken for that.

This could of proved dangerous as the battery is producing hyrdogen Gas as it was boiling and if ignited could explode.

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2012  ·  #5
One of the causes of a overheating battery which can present an extremely hazardous situation for anyone near or inside the vehicle, as well as the vehicle itself. If an alternator’s voltage regulator is beginning to fail, or has failed, the alternator (voltage regulator)can begin to send too much voltage back to the battery, which in turn causes the battery to overheat. Once the battery overheats the electrolyte solution inside boils and ultimately the battery can explode sending battery acid in all directions. If you smell rotten eggs, notice your battery is swelling, or see steam coming out of it, your battery might be overheating as Ally stated above

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2012  ·  #6
i will look into that robbie if ur right new battery will have same problem although van ( starter ) battery is ok thanks

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2012  ·  #7
In your case with twin liesure batteries and only 1 being faulty plus your vehicle battery begin fine, its most likely that you just have the one faulty liesure battery, THOUGH it is highly reccomended that you replace both leisure batteries at the same time.
It,s also very common for people to miss out on freezing tempertaures and the effect they have on lead acid cells, while overheating causes liquids to expand, so does freezing them. If a battery is left in conditions below freezing, the fluid in the cells freezes which means it must expand. As it expands, it puts pressure on the plates and the plates buckle. It can also cause the battery casing to split open. When the battery thaws, sulfuric acid will leak out.

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2012  ·  #8
Self discharge on your battery
The down side of lead acid batteries is that they discharge all by themselves even if not used ie not connected at all. A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge on a new battery. This rate increases at high temperatures and decreases at cold temperatures also age. Don't forget that your Motorhome/Camper, with a clock, stereo, and radio and ECU (main battery) is never completely turned off. Each of those devices has a "keep alive memory" to preserve your radio pre-sets and time, and those memories draw about 20 milliamps, or .020 amps. This will suck about one half amp hour from your battery daily at 26 degrees Celcuis. This draw, combined with the self-discharge rate, will have your battery 50 percent discharged in two weeks if the camper is left unattended, The same applies to your leisure batteries and moreso the newer the camper as the likes of the sergent units monitor all the time also webasto systems have a constant monitor on the batteries themselves. So without being to techie every couple weeks a hook up is handy, Solar will help as will a drive or starting up and running but none of these are as good as just hooking into a supply for 24 hours.
hope this is of some help been near 3 decades from I done me uni in electro mech engineering lol

Adriasonic
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Matrix Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.2
Subject:

EHU over WInter

· 
Posted: 14.11.2012  ·  #9
Over the winter, is it wise or unwise to leave the electric hook up to the motorhome on all the time?
Will it do any harm to the leisure batteries?
I have a 80 watt heater tube running all day and night during the winter to keep the temperature from extremes inside.
Any comments would appreciated.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2012  ·  #10
I was led to believe that newer vans are ok to leave on EHU all the time as they top up the battery when required, whereas some of the older vans the chargers carry on charging.

Not sure what year this was supposed to change though.

Adriasonic
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Matrix Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2012  ·  #11
Thanks Ally, I though that was the case, mine is 2012.

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2012  ·  #12
I would Keep an eye on your battery state of charge and just run an extension lead into the van for the heater rather than keeping the controller unit ie the Sargent unit powered up, most of the modern controllers incorporate a float charger system rather than a continious charge which used to be used and over time damaged the batteries.
A voltage of 12.6V at room temperature gives a good indication of around 90% charge, dropping the battery below this the battery needs to be charged to prevent sulfation.
If your charger stays on topping charge and does not drop below 13.8V, remove the charge after 48 hours of charge as the motorhome most likely does not have a float charger.

We have a small 500mm 55w slimline heater in our van which has inbuilt overload protection and a thermostat, Using a couple of dry bags its amazing how much drier the air is inside the van with a very small manipulation in internal temperature.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.