Rosslare - Cherbourgh

First timers

Neill
Subject:

Rosslare - Cherbourgh

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #1
Hi all,

Need to tap into the wealth of knowledge of the members here.

Made an account yesterday so this is my first post. be gentle.

First trip to Europe in the camper and first time driving on the right.

Got the ferries booked for France, leaving end of Oct and will be heading to Switzerland to work for the winter.

Has anyone got some general advice on the best route to take or if there's anywhere really worth stopping off or maybe avoiding?

Any advise at all on travelling around the continent is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neill

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Rosslare - Cherbourgh

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #2
Is your unit keft or right hand drive. That will make a difference to the advice given. Ours is left hand drive, and everything just comes naturally to you. Only thing to watch for is if you pull out of a car park or side road, and the roads are empty if traffic, it’s very easy to start driving on the wrong/ our side of the road. From my experience of driving a right hand drive car on the continent, it all becomes second nature quite quickly as well. Enjoy the trip,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rosslare - Cherbourgh

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #3
Did you get a permit to drive in Switzerland, where are you going to end up ,have you organised parking etc. will your van be covered for its CVRT for the time you are a away,you will gave to come home to have it renewed.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #4
tyres and or snow chains

Neill
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #5
Thanks for the quick replies,

Right hand drive bus, its small with loads of windows (converted minibus)
Here's to hoping it comes naturally haha

Based in northern ireland and yeah MOT is sorted to cover us while we are away.

The permit needed for Switzerland, is that something easy done online or is it bought in a shop?

Ending up in Zermatt which is car free so parking is a work in progress, trying to find somewhere further down the valley.

We'll be in an apartment for the winter season and just taking trips here and there weather permitting.
Mainly taking the bus to enjoy after the season in spring/summer.

Its got EHU and a diesel heater, sleeping bags will be the duvet of choice too. Gas is my worry as we are on butane which i believe struggles in the cold.

Really appreciate these replies, should have joined here much sooner
Neill

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2019  ·  #6
If the van is at 30 M/bar on the regulator, after 2004 it’s standard, will be written on it, then you just need to change the pigtail, the flexi bit you connect to you cylinder. Propane will be a must for Switzerland in the winter. Butane stops working at approximately 0°. Propane will work down to - 25/30 or something like that. Someone will have the exact figures, and be along shortly. I had presumed that you weren’t living in the unit throughout the winter. Enjoy. Sounds like a great winter in store for you

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2019  ·  #7
Take precautions to avoid your tanks freezing up, fresh water, waste water and toilet cassette. Bring some Swiss francs and coins if you can get them, needed for parking meters and vending machines.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.