Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

No Camping or overnight Parking

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #1
I am sure this has been discussed many times before but just wondering what are the present views on it.

Leitrim Co. Co. has this week erected No Camping or overnight Parking at some of the W.W.I. Marinas in the County.

Are these signs generally being enforced in other areas?

Has anyone been asked to move or been ticketed or clamped for staying over-night where these type of signs were present?

Is there a set cost for the Fine?

The signs show a Picture of a Motorhome and a Tent with a stroke through them.
Many Boat owners leave their vehicles parked at these Marinas over the weekends and often for longer.
Are Motorhome owners being segregated or are the boat owners (pardon the pun) in the same Boat?

Our vans are Taxed and Insured so it seems we are being discriminated against by these signs??

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Re: No Camping or overnight Parking

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #2
Is this on the Shannon Waterway?

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #3
Quote by nipper

Is this on the Shannon Waterway?

Yes.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #4
We did 3 nights on Ballinamore canal early July. One of the days a Waterways worker in a pickup got chatting to us and told of another brilliant stop on around called Houghton's Shore, really quiet spot. We met the same worker the next day.

Why would this have changed?

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #5
Quote by nipper

We did 3 nights on Ballinamore canal early July. One of the days a Waterways worker in a pickup got chatting to us and told of another brilliant stop on around called Houghton's Shore, really quiet spot. We met the same worker the next day.

Why would this have changed?

It's not Waterways Ireland that have erected the signs but Leitrim Co. Co.

It's easy to see why.
Some of these Marinas are being swamped with Camper Vans.
A lot of the parking spaces, used by locals, taken over by inconsiderate parking & taken up with Tables and Chairs at the side of the vans.

I called to one last weekend and it was more like a Campsite than a Car park. I just left for quieter pastures.

It was inevitable that it wouldn't last.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #6
Quote by Erazmus

A lot of the parking spaces, used by locals, taken over by inconsiderate parking & taken up with Tables and Chairs at the side of the vans.

I called to one last weekend and it was more like a Campsite than a Car park. I just left for quieter pastures.

No infrastructure, no official regulations or countrywide legislation, idiots in control, no common sense and a total disregard for others. Just some of the many plausible reasons.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #7
Once again its a case of abusing what we have by overcrowding places, placing tables/ chairs out and generally winding up the locals. There is always going to be only one outcome and that's a complete ban which is what has happened in various places. Even when councils provide Aires we have to take more than the allocated spaces and again winding up locals and councils. I was out for a run on my bike a few weeks ago and stopped at Drumod waterways once again virtually taken over with motorhomes and leaving space between them but not enough for anyone else to park.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #8
No talking, preaching or any other advice gets across to those that ignore it. Legislation needs put in place like France, Spain etc.

But the work being carried out on behalf of Motorhome owners is being undermined by those like the ones above.

To all...

Never fret too much, it's never the doom and gloom these topics can sometimes spread. I always ask myself when last I have had nowhere to go, never in eight years.

😁

Those that haven't got the sense too move on when a place is already overcrowded is unfortunately something we, as sensible motorhome owners, can do anything about, they won't be happy until they have ruined it for everyone, they also won't even accept it was their fault.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #9
Doom and Gloom it might certainly be....... but the subject of this topic was never meant for that reason!

It was a poor attempt perhaps on my behalf...... as a Survey!
I am trying to determine has any action has ever been taken by a Council in relation to these signs.

No person, club, group or body can control who purchases, borrows or rents a Motorhome and how they choose to use it.
It's just a shame that some narrow minded Dicks can spoil it for the many!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #10
am trying to determine has any action has ever been taken by a Council in relation to these signs.

Personally I've never heard of it, has anyone else??

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #11
No never while on public land, private land is a different issue.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #12
Quote by Erazmus

Doom and Gloom it might certainly be....... but the subject of this topic was never meant for that reason!

I know. Hence the "to all" so it didn't/doesn't decend into gloom 😁

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #13
I ignore all signs until I’m asked to move but I make sure I am not obtrusive or blocking anyone’s view and to date I’ve never been asked to move. If there’s parking spaces I make sure I’m in them and not blocking any pathways. That’s my take on signs.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #14
Quote by jacktherev

I ignore all signs until I’m asked to move but I make sure I am not obtrusive or blocking anyone’s view and to date I’ve never been asked to move. If there’s parking spaces I make sure I’m in them and not blocking any pathways. That’s my take on signs.

Could not agree more with you Jack, when I get parked it will take some persuasion before I will be moved.
Never park where it is likely to be offensive.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #15
Agree with all the above. At the end of the day, as Forest Gump said: “you can’t fix stupid”

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #16
My understanding is that the local council are only subcontractors for Irish waterways. In other words, the council does the day to day maintenance and Irish waterways pay them according.
Maybe a discussion is needed with Irish waterways as to who is the proper boss?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #17
Never heard of anyone being prosecuted or fined in this circumstance.

Perhaps we need to test the case ourselves and crowd fund someone who tries it if it ends in a fine or a fight.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #18
Wait until we hear of a prosecution and go from there

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #19
I saw a motorhome had attracted a Galway council notice for overnight parking earlier in the season. I took a quick snapshot , if you can’t make it out the jist is that the overnight parking of temporary dwellings is prohibited.

Interesting that the spot where this vehicle was parked is the same spot that has attracted another kind of temporary dwelling for a few weeks on end in past summer periods, if you get my drift. I can’t imagine they would get such notices.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #20
A warning, not a parking ticket, I wonder why, are they afraid of a court case??

Kev,Lou & Kids
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner A535
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #21
Quote by eirebus

A warning, not a parking ticket, I wonder why, are they afraid of a court case??

Parking tickets have been issued on the prom in Tramore

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #22
unfortunately you cant educate stupid! some motorhome users think its their god given right to park up even if where they intend parking if already full they will squeeze in somewhere causing obstruction and of course irritating joe public,
even if there is no one else in a carpark ive seen some vans parked side on as mentioned before taking up three spaces.
all it takes for a council to act is for enough complaints from the public and then we are all barred so to speak.
now i have to say its not all homeland motorhome owners committing these offences plenty of continental registered vans at it also youd think theyd know better.
BUT WHAT CAN WE ALL DO TO RECTIFY IT????

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #23
Quote by Micklad

Carry on doing what we are doing hoping that the message will get through. I have a few plans for this which I'll keep to myself for now.

I know you run a successful FB group, but there are other groups that give out the wrong information and laws. Seem to make them up as they go along.

---

Before anyone jumps the gun yet again! I do not mean that group.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #24
Quote by Ally

Quote by Micklad

Carry on doing what we are doing hoping that the message will get through. I have a few plans for this which I'll keep to myself for now.

I know you run a successful FB group, but there are other groups that give out the wrong information and laws. Seem to make them up as they go along.
Before anyone jumps the gun yet again! I do not mean that group.

--sure thats as much as we can do try educate as best we can i might just post something on MFLI to refresh some small but sensible parking etiquette -

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #25
Driving out of Glenarm today, this was the second motorhome parked like this in the same car park.

Not the same car park as is used by most.

Yes there is space left for other vehicles, but it's perception.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Ally

Driving out of Glenarm today, this was the second motorhome parked like this in the same car park.

Not the same car park as is used by most.

Yes there is space left for other vehicles, but it's perception.

gombeen!!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #27
I wouldn’t mind only it’s not even that long a van. He would get away with facing in, no problem

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #28
As Ally say's it's perception.

Even if there's plenty of space to park and you're badly parked taking up more spaces than you should, or parked as in Glenarm, then it creates a bad impression.

Also taking out tables and chairs in a public parking area doesn't look good. If Campers want to do this they should stick to Camp sites and keep away from Car Parks or go to the wilds!

If there are too many at a particular place, move on. There's always a quieter spot.
IMO It's one of the things that causes the barriers to go up if a parking area is swamped with Motorhomes.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #29
Quote by The Rambler

I saw a motorhome had attracted a Galway council notice for overnight parking earlier in the season. I took a quick snapshot , if you can’t make it out the jist is that the overnight parking of temporary dwellings is prohibited.

Interesting that the spot where this vehicle was parked is the same spot that has attracted another kind of temporary dwelling for a few weeks on end in past summer periods, if you get my drift. I can’t imagine they would get such notices.

The reason for no prosecutions is they (Galway and others) are drawing from a section of The Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act 1948 which prohibits temporary dwellings. However, The Act is there to deal with the adverse effects of temporary dwellings from a public health and sanitation perspective, as it's title suggests, The parking of a self contained motorhome would not be relevant to the purpose of The Act.
A prosecution of a parked motorhome which is not emitting anything likely to compromise public health or cause unsanitary conditions under would be unlikely to succeed.

I suppose those leaflets distributed in Galway are in reality ' fake news' 😁😁

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2019  ·  #30
While they might not hold any legal powers, if I see a sign I feel unwelcome already. And If I'm not welcome, then I move on to the next place.

The smallest chance of "having that conversation" with a local puts me off and having some many places to park in this beautiful country, why even bother?

Rule of thumb is: where there's height barriers and signs all over the place, there's a campsite nearby or as mentioned before, place has been totally abused.

So yeah, why even bother... just go to the next town. Check the app for a quick solution nearby :)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.