Rockview
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Terryglass Caravan and camping park

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #1
Hi,

First time poster on here looking for some advice. I'm looking into the possibility of opening a motor home and caravan park in Terryglass. I've been doing some research and trying to figure out whether such a facility would be a viable option. The site is within a 5 minute walk of the village centre and close the the marina. I know a lot of folk park in the car park at the quay and use the waterways Ireland facilities that are provided there. I'm sure people may still prefer to do this as it's free parking, however the marina can be very crowded in the summer between motor homes and power boats being launched at the jetty. Technically I don't think motor homes are allowed park in the marina overnight but I'm unsure as to how strictly this law is being enforced.

Also Portumna aire is only down the road where parking overnight can be got for €10 so I'm not sure how viable a park in Terryglass would be considering Portumna is so cheap. Perhaps posters on here would be able to give me their thoughts. I'm not that well up on the motor home tourism and am trying to gather as much information as possible prior to making a decision on such a venture. Thanks for your help.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Terryglass Caravan and camping park

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #2
Not sure if this helps you I have a small campsite very close to where motorhomes can park for free but we get plenty of business from MHs, caravans and tents. Price it right offer the facilities needed and I’m sure it would be successful but don’t plan on being a millionaire as it takes time to establish a new business.
Happy to give you some pointers if you are seriously interested.
Regards Jamie

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #3
Motorhomes can park on Waterways Ireland Marinas and it is a standing agreement by Waterways Ireland. Even better that that, Motorhomes can park where a car can as long as they are not causing an obstruction.

For your site to work, make it keen on price, put in less facilities. All Motorhome owners need is fresh water and somewhere to empty a toilet, some require Electric Hook up but thats a small amount of Motorhomers. Nice to have it for those that do though. Charge €10 per night without EHU and €15 with.

If you are in an area close to pubs and shops then you should be on a winner. What Motorhomers don't have at Waterways Ireland Marina's is safety, of course most of them are grand. But a lot of Motorhome owners like the fact that they pay for parking and are in an eclosed area with no tresspassers. They can leave their van all day whilst visiting shops, restaurants and pubs.

Personally Portumna doesnt work for me, its overcrowded and the Motorhomes are parked too close together, it is however beautiful and has amazing facilities.

Spend little money and test the water before investing thousands is my advice. We will do all we can to support you and I can add you to Irelands only Motorhome Parking App https://motorhomeparkingireland.com/

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #4
To my mind caravan park and Motorhome parking are completely different animals. If you aim it at caravans, you will need toilet blocks, shower rooms, ehu, playgrounds possibly, etc etc. this then may make the pricing structure too expensive for what Motorhomes are willing to pay, especially as they need very few of these services. Then if you aim it at Motorhomes, you will have a much lower outlay, but won’t attract caravans. Motorhomes will use it all year, whereas caravans generally don’t venture out in the off season. The best of luck with it. Terryglass is a great stop, and if you get up and running I would definitely be interested at Motorhome prices

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #5
One thing to remember is that caravans and motorhomes are different and do not need the same facilities. As a motorhome owner I am completely self contained and would only use a caravan / camping park every 4 or 5 days to dump waste and take on fresh water. I prefer to seek out my own spots where I can legally park and enjoy the peace and quiet. I do object to being asked to pay €20 - €30 and even more to park for the night. It might be worth a trip down to Dick's Field in Ardmore to see his set up and how little needs to be invested to provide motorhome facilities. Best of luck with the venture.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2019  ·  #6
Just as an aside, I called in to Terryglass marina today and saw the official lookin, no overnight bxxxox signs. It was pouring with rain, so instead of checking the place out,,,,,,, I went home.

Rockview
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Terryglass caravan and camping

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Motorhomes can park on Waterways Ireland Marinas and it is a standing agreement by Waterways Ireland. Even better that that, Motorhomes can park where a car can as long as they are not causing an obstruction.

For your site to work, make it keen on price, put in less facilities. All Motorhome owners need is fresh water and somewhere to empty a toilet, some require Electric Hook up but thats a small amount of Motorhomers. Nice to have it for those that do though. Charge €10 per night without EHU and €15 with.

If you are in an area close to pubs and shops then you should be on a winner. What Motorhomers don't have at Waterways Ireland Marina's is safety, of course most of them are grand. But a lot of Motorhome owners like the fact that they pay for parking and are in an eclosed area with no tresspassers. They can leave their van all day whilst visiting shops, restaurants and pubs.

Personally Portumna doesnt work for me, its overcrowded and the Motorhomes are parked too close together, it is however beautiful and has amazing facilities.

Spend little money and test the water before investing thousands is my advice. We will do all we can to support you and I can add you to Irelands only Motorhome Parking App https://motorhomeparkingireland.com/

I’m not sure if waterways ireland have that agreement in place for Terryglass, perhaps it’s the council that are in charge of the marina as they’re signs up stating no overnight parking. I still see MHs Park there overnight but I’m wondering would more stop off in Terryglass if there was an appropriate site available.

In general is the MH/caravan holiday a large community? Is it mostly Irish tourists or those coming by ferry?

It does seem to be growing in popularity from the little research that I have done.

With facilities in place and standard pricing how many weeks of the year is it achievable to have a high rate of occupancy? With 20 hardcore pitches as a good starting point.

I know a few have highlighted the different needs of the MH and caravan but are there many sites around Ireland that charge these as two different units? Thanks for all the replies .

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #8
Quote by Rockview

I still see MHs Park there overnight but I’m wondering would more stop off in Terryglass if there was an appropriate site available.

I would say definitely.

Quote by Rockview

In general is the MH/caravan holiday a large community? Is it mostly Irish tourists or those coming by ferry?

There is a huge Motorhome Community in ireland, I have the figures somewhere but IIRC it is over 14000, but you get a lot touring from other Countries and with more facilities popping up that's only going to increase.

Quote by Rockview

It does seem to be growing in popularity from the little research that I have done.
With facilities in place and standard pricing how many weeks of the year is it achievable to have a high rate of occupancy? With 20 hardcore pitches as a good starting point.

There will be a drop in winter like any tourism sector in this country, but as previously stated, Motorhome owners go all year, the majority of caravan owners don't use them in the winter.

Quote by Rockview

I know a few have highlighted the different needs of the MH and caravan but are there many sites around Ireland that charge these as two different units? Thanks for all the replies .

No, but then most Motorhome owners don't use those sites as they are out priced. A lot of campsite owners, some already do, need to realise that Motorhome owners are a different form of tourism, they will use campsites, but mostly they dont need showers, toilets or any other fancy things. So if we have to pay for services we don't need, then why should we pay for them?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #9
Running a campsite with caravans and MHs and providing showers and toilets is a very different proposition to an air with grey & black waste points and fresh water fill up.
If you had an aire for motorhomes only you only need fill up and empty points and maybe offer a rubbish collection service. In a good location with adequate space you’d be ok to charge around €10 a night but how to ensure you get paid and not taken over would be something you need to think about. Most MHs that use Aires do not require electric and installing electric is expensive especially if you would require 3 phase electric and the standing charges are high especially if there is little use of the electric from customers.
My business in Clare on the WAW is mainly continental tourers especially in the week with mainly Irish at the weekends.
I’m pretty much full for June, July and August. About 50% full for April, May and September, March and October about 25% full on average but my site is a campsite catering to tents, caravans and MHs I would say 60 to 70% of my business is campervans or MHs a lot of the campervans do not have showers or toilets on board.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #10
Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #11
From the outset I would be familiar with Terryglass and the surrounding areas.

There is definitely scope to pick up business from the overflow from the Portumna aire. This will only be achieved by a similar price structure.
As part of your research, keep an eye on the occupation of Portumna over the next few months and this will give an indication of usage.

Electric hook up can be desirable for some but not essential for everyone.
There is a risk with providing ehu, that your proposal may attract a long-term transient crowd. If you do fit ehu, only provide 6 amps because this eliminates electric radiators and fan heaters. Make them burn their onboard gas or diesel.

Some of the toilet chemicals that we use can't be dumped in a private septic tank. They must be disposed into a public sewer. Of couse there are bio friendly solutions available which your customers will have to be informed about.
Finally, FBD as one of the main insurance companies for campsites and aire because most are part of a working farm. It would be advisable to visit them for advice.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2019  ·  #12
Hi again Rockview I’m not sure if you are a camper? Do you own a MH or a caravan? But if you end up going ahead with a campsite for caravans and MHs I would really recommend using a few first find out what is good and bad about them first. Where as a design can look great on paper it can be near useless in reality.
If you want to attract MHs to use a campsite rather than free camp or use an aire one thing that makes a difference is good showers with plenty of space and plenty of hot water, the shower needs space outside the shower tray to get dry and to put on fresh clothes a seat really helps as do plenty of hooks. The showers need to be kept clean and easy to clean, not cold or drafty.
Hair dryer provided. Hand dryers, toilet roll and hand soap these little things really make a difference.
Laundry one of the other main reasons why MHs use a campsite. I’ve less than 20 pitches full when at maximum capacity here but I have 2x10kg washers and 2x10kg dryers and regularly take €50 per day in the laundry (my washing machines cost €3 to do a wash) washing lines with pegs available are popular on the non wet days!
If you start to think about individual stands pitches for cvan sand MHs think of the fact that most uk Irish cvans have their habitation door on the left most continental cvans on the right. Not such an issue with MH as they can drive in or reverse in. People want space beside their camping unit to sit out, bbq, or to put the dog out.
Despite data roaming being relatively cheap and easy a number of my repeat customers reserve specific pitches where the WiFi was strongest before I made it campsite wide with access points.
Think access again especially for caravans as reversing a caravan is a skill that several of my customers have not mastered.
Low hanging branches are a nuisance on a campsite.
Not all MHs have toilet cassette some require a point to pump out their black waste a liftable drain cover into your sewer system is adequate and in expensive if designed in at the planning stage.
And do get a quote for public liability before you embark or invest too much in your project it’ll will be upwards of €1000 or much more just for the basics.
Don’t let anything put you off it’s a great way of life, you can a decent wage but have a plan for at least 3 years before seeing any decent return on your expenditure.
There is a new commercial private aire in Miltown Malbay if you’re considering an aire arrangement I have their contact details if you want to find out what they are doing.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.