Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Toby's global tour of Ireland.

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #1
Ten past eight in a very wet and windy wilding spot, between Ballinspittle and Killbrittain, i bemoaned the fact that having a twelve weeks old puppy means there will be no sleep ons for a while.
What to do at this hour? There’s only so much coffee to be drank…

Kevin Crowley known too many as ‘Blag’, offered us the the chance to park up for five days while we returned home, to do some daughterly duties.
Not only did he let us park up, but he let us leave the van on EHU for the five days fo condition the batteries and the keep the fridge cold.
He suggested, over a couple of beers, that he found the ramblings of those posting blogs on the forum to be interesting and full of new info, so in honour of his warm welcome and the camaraderie between us at Motorhome Craic, I decided to do a blog on this years years global trip of Ireland.

This tour started with meeting the wonderful Dave and Naomi at their place in Kildare. Known as The ‘Eirebus ’ Residence,
After an evening of jollification not to mention a large amount of gin, we set off for Kilmore Quay the following morning, later than we expected possibly but an enjoyable trip down.

Kilmore Quay is a fairly new camping park. We didn’t try the amenities because of the pricing structure. €15 to park in a field, a further €5 for EHU, and a further €5 to use the showers and toilets. I’ve no idea where the lovely owner got her advice from when starting up, but it wasn’t from a motorhomer!
I see it as a bit expensive to park up for the night, even with the opportunity to fill with water and drain the waste. Oh, and there are bins.
So to park up for that money I really would expect a view, there wasn’t one from our pitches, but there was a phew.
Some random woman attacked my use of the English language while I was waiting to pay to go in, I believe she has some say in a facebook site. Crazy, pompous old bird, must be an age thing.

Anyway, it was here we were joined by those two other intrepid explorers, ‘Adria’, or known to Interpol as Alfie and Catherine.
They live in Rosslare so their beds were probably still warm by the time they got to us. Again, great to catch up, with two more special people.

Kilmore Quay is a very picturesque wee harbour town, the road down into it is lined with chocolate box thatched houses, but in fairness, even in July, didn’t have a whole going for it. There are plenty of walks over the dunes, the beach is enormous, and there’s an interesting little memorial garden to mariners lost at sea.

One night did us here, not for the toxic presence of two other motorhomes, but there are way better to places to visit.

Hook Head. Now there’s a place. Park up, feet from waves crashing over the rocks a few feet below, beautiful views, and a bit of walking for our canine friends.
The lighthouse is a major attraction with its own carpark, and tours, which are very highly regarded on Trip advisor are about €10 for adults.
Comparing this spot to last nights is like comparing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
The sun has been shining us so far, and naturally this makes the experience all the richer, this is a ver pretty part of the country with quiet country roads and every now and then a ‘wow’ moment.
Dave and Naomi often come down to Hook Head in the winter, when they are the only visitors and the sea is showing its teeth instead of it smile. I’d have some of that if I’m ever down this way again in winter.

Just a short hop to Norman View, in Fethard was to be our next stop. A pleasant site with all amenities, non EHU is €10 per night. Now that I can deal with.
We came for one night and stayed for two, that sums it up.
This wee site has all you could need, EHU at a cost, but everything else is included, even the views! Not close to the beach, in fact the town is as close, it has a shop for all your needs and some pubs and restaurants.. They both take a good twenty minutes on foot and there are hills on both choices.
We watched some old Hurling semi final, Alfy was thrilled, we were just amused at the passion the customers were displaying.
Dave and Naomi had stuff to do at home so this was their last stop with us, the rest of us carried on Annestown.

Annestown is more of a town land than an actual town. It sits on the cliffs at the start of The amber Coast, another place I’ve read about but never visited. We parked up in a carpark with views out over the ocean. There were four vans in total this night, so its a popular stop off point. This stop along with two others, very close by are perfect places to stop over. So few cars use the road after around nine pm, a great nights sleep was had by all.
Although it is a great stopover, there’s very little to see along this stretch of coast except for the views, and it is a very pleasant drive.

On we go, till we reach Dungarvan. Another place I’d read comments on but ever visited. It has to be said, this entire area has a lot to offer. Okay, we do go on about height barriers and our distant cousins, but it’s not at all difficult to find a suitable spot to park up. YET.

So, Dungarvan. A lovely town, with all the usual shops things, and lots of pubs etc. There’s a sort of Aire out the back of an old church, right on the waterfront. It has three designated pitches, and beside it, a bay for four or five coaches. When I arrived there was a guy parked up, in the coach bay, and getting ready to leave. I asked if it was ok to park up and he replied “no problem, I do it often.” Alfie arrived and went into the empty bay, no coaches within miles, but the following morning a traffic warden said he had to leave.
In my onion there is a much better spot, with loads of room, further round a few hundred metres, beside the sports complex. All in all a great wee town to visit.

Where is Dicks Field? I’ve seen that question asked a lot of times on the forum, and now I know. Again, the sun was shining on us as we arrived at this fine venue. €10 per night, again an okay price, and a short walk into the seaside town, where you’ll find the usual array of shops etc. There is a restaurant, “White Horses”, which gets very good reviews on trip advisor, but we didn’t visit because of the food we had already bought.

Alfie will remember this visit to Dicks Field for a very long time, because on the eve of his departure back home, his radiator sprung a leak.

That was a memorable week, we all survived the card games and scrabble, bloody good job we weren’t playing for money.

Next thrilling instalment coming soon.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Toby's global tour of Ireland.

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #2
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #3
Great Blog, Nick.
And fair play to Kevin, that is the spirit of Motorhomecraic, good on you and your family. Great to have members like you🚍👍

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #4
Great read! Thanks for sharing it!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #5
Great read.

Funny you should mention that Kilmore Quay, I sent them an email about a possible MHC meet there and they didn't even reply.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2019  ·  #6
Good stuff.
A great read.

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #7
Very well said Nick..... a great few days was had ...and great to see you guys as we had not met you for some time...

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #8
So, all the necessary chores done at home, Margaret leaves us to the train station in Portadown. Getting to pension age has a few benefits, one of them being given the opportunity to travel the length and breadth of Ireland for free, on public transport.
We both got from cork to home for free, and now I was returning for free as well. I suppose it’s only matter of time before the powers that be, decide it is an expense they have no desire to keep. Might get them more in their pension pots.

I arrived safely, Toby is an outstanding traveller, no problems at all. Have to say, our railways are fabulous, smoother than our roads. Greeted by the lovely Carol in Fermoy and whisked off to their home.
Kevin, (Blag), and I enjoyed a few wee drinks together and sleep caught up with me, especially.
The following morning all was well, I filled up with water and headed for Kinsale.
The drive around Cork city is uninspiring but not far out from the city it becomes what touring is all about. Scenic and fairly empty roads.

The Old Head of Kinsale, in my golfing days I almost got to play the famous links course, but time and money were against me. There is a signal station beside it, and a memorial to SS Lusitania, torpedoed just off these shores by the Nazi navy. It was ironic, that I was reading the memorial wording standing beside two German folk, that Toby had taken a shine too.
That’s travel.

We soldiered on for a while and found a spot about halfway between Ballinspittle, and Kilbrittain, basically a parking place beside a great beach, which emptied of dog walkers and families around 8:30pm.

While this again is a lovely area, there are not a whole pile of places to park up, since I wanted to revisit Clonakilty, we headed there. Out of curiosity we headed to a parking spot on Inchydoney Island. A fruitless experience for anyone over 2.1m because of the dreaded height barrier.

Tonight finds us in Ballydehob, a truly lovely place, a small village on an estuary not far from the western side of Skibbereen. There is a festival on, with a maritime theme so we’re staying for two nights.
The village has about four or five restaurants and the same amount of pubs. a couple of hundred people with hearts of gold.
The town seems to look after itself, motorhomes are welcome, there were six here last night with room for more on the pier. It was closed for the weekend because the festival is on and they ar having some interesting boats, mackerel boats, lobster boats, Galway Hookers. and even a yawl, y’all.
The townsfolk raised money to install a nature trail, which includes crossing an old rail / tram bridge dating back to 1856. Coincidently the same year Margarets mother was born.
Out of all the places I’ve seen on this trip so far, this is one I would definitely come back to.

I've decided to stay another night in this utopia, toby won his class in the dog show, so we're gonna get pissed and stay. Well.I'm having a few drinks.
And a pub crawl, they all love dogs.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #9
Heading that way in October and ballydehob was recomme fed, so delighted to hear its been verified by a motorhomer 😁

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.