mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Fridge not lighting on gas

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #41
Every year I take the grill off the back of my one and hoover the chimney and blow out the jet with a squirt of brake cleaner,
Works wonders,

Have a search for previous posts explaining the steps if you are not firmilar,

I'd say try your one again tomorrow and if it lights in thr first few clicks its a good sign, have you changed the gas cylinder/regulator since the trouble last time?

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #42
I never ever turn my fridge of I run it for two days on gas weeks on hook up 20 mins on engine,I can’t understand why people would turn your fridge off even when your not not using your van , would you turn your house fridge of,I wouldn’t even if it was empty, fridges are made to run constantly turn-them of your only creating problems, leave it on turn it to its lowest setting and leave it alone ,change it between gas mains and 12 volt weekly

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #43
Quote by mad max

Every year I take the grill off the back of my one and hoover the chimney and blow out the jet with a squirt of brake cleaner,
Works wonders,

Have a search for previous posts explaining the steps if you are not firmilar,

I'd say try your one again tomorrow and if it lights in thr first few clicks its a good sign, have you changed the gas cylinder/regulator since the trouble last time?

I think access to blowing out the jet like that is the issue for me. Is it the same jet as referred to in the video I linked to earlier in this thread? If so, it would be tricky for me. I think I would have to pull the whole unit out.

I have changed the gas cylinder since mad max.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #44
Quote by hillton9

I never ever turn my fridge of I run it for two days on gas weeks on hook up 20 mins on engine,I can’t understand why people would turn your fridge off even when your not not using your van , would you turn your house fridge of,I wouldn’t even if it was empty, fridges are made to run constantly turn-them of your only creating problems, leave it on turn it to its lowest setting and leave it alone ,change it between gas mains and 12 volt weekly

It’s not an option for me to run it 24/7 hilton. Not unless I would to keep burning gas. I keep the van in a car park and can’t be running electricity to it on a long term basis.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #45
Quote by hillton9

Have to say Robert that is exactly my view,in all our time motorhoming and previous to that caravaning our fridge has never been switched off.
Our Motorhome is on hookup when sitting at home so our 3 way fridge is then on electric,when driving it is on 12v and when stopped it is on gas untill we connect to electric.
Never had any problems so will keep doing it that way.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Fridge not lighting on gas

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #46
Jason when you started this post you asked should you see the spark in the window, yes you should but not easy try in the near dark.but you may just have an earth problem if you can't see a spark, earth faults come and go with vibration worth your while to check that there is an earth connection down at the burner, it won't spark without one.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #47
Yes true Martin. I couldn’t see a spark, but the pilot window was very fogged up. Obviously today it sparked up ok. I will check it daily to see if it keeps lighting. If not I’ll check earths. 👍

Liked by: eirebus

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #48
When I press the igniter button, the spark is happening just behind the button, sparking to metal plate it’s mounted in. Noticed it when replacing the 240V and 12V switches. Explains why it wouldn’t work on gas for me up to now.
Must take it out completely and have a look at the back.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #49
Quote by ntg

Quote by hillton9

Have to say Robert that is exactly my view,in all our time motorhoming and previous to that caravaning our fridge has never been switched off.
Our Motorhome is on hookup when sitting at home so our 3 way fridge is then on electric,when driving it is on 12v and when stopped it is on gas untill we connect to electric.
Never had any problems so will keep doing it that way.

Must say I don’t understand that lads. If I was going away for 3 weeks or a month, which we do quite often, I would switch off everything at home that wasn’t being used. Fridge, the lot. Why would you run something for weeks/months on end for no reason.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #50
Quote by Galldar

When I press the igniter button, the spark is happening just behind the button, sparking to metal plate it’s mounted in. Noticed it when replacing the 240V and 12V switches. Explains why it wouldn’t work on gas for me up to now.

You have s disconnected / broken wire at the back of the push betton switch, you should be able to fit a new small bush on connector and insulate it.
@ The Rambler show us a photo of the outside of the van behind where the fridge is fitted / grills

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #51
Daffy our van sits ready to go at all times,we quite often go without any planning and other than fresh produce everything else is on board.
That suits us but I know everyone has their own ideas.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #52
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Galldar

You have s disconnected / broken wire at the back of the push betton switch, you should be able to fit a new small bush on connector and insulate it.
@ The Rambler show us a photo of the outside of the van behind where the fridge is fitted / grills

I’ll try get a couple of pics uploaded tomorrow

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #53
Quote by ntg

Daffy our van sits ready to go at all times,we quite often go without any planning and other than fresh produce everything else is on board.
That suits us but I know everyone has their own ideas.

If we were all the same, it’d be a boring world. To each, their own.

Liked by: ntg

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #54
The fridge is lighting up no problem now these days. Here’s a pic of the grills all the same. Pretty standard I think.

Liked by: panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #55
Good to see it's all working well Jason :up:

Liked by: eirebus, The Rambler

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #56
Well if it aint broke dont fix it,

Possible that the last gas cylinder was not at 100% when you were trying to light it,

Hopefully thats you sorted 👍🏻

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #57
Quote by mad max

Possible that the last gas cylinder was not at 100% when you were trying to light it,

Very possible.

Interesting thing to note, and a bit of a design flaw perhaps. It might not be obvious from that pic but the grills would be covered should the sliding van door be left open. When I say covered they would not be blocked. There would be a gap of 2 to 3 inches between the grills and sliding door. That would not help with the efficiency but it’s not enough of a problem for me to change what’s there. And the grill fan I installed would help.

So anyone designing a conversion, you might not want to install a fridge and grills behind a sliding door.

Liked by: mad max

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #58
And the most time the fridge needs air circulating is warm day which is more than likely the day the side door needs to open to let air circulate inside the van,

Hope somebody pick up on your advise 👍🏻

Liked by: panda, The Rambler

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #59
Jason I dont think that would be such a problem unless you had curtains on the door window.on our sprinter we don't have 3" the grip for pulling down the blind has over time cut a track in the upper vent. Looking at your grills you should be able to get at the burner / igniter and the earth connection , trough the bottom one.
From the top one you can get the exhaust elbow and see what the gas connection looks like. On our van I can disconnect the gas supply Tee piece trough the top vent .you would probably have to break the seal between the body panel and the grill to remove them .

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #60
I might have more access through the grills then I First thought alright Martin. Hopefully I won’t need to go at it for now.

My next job is the Carver water heater not lighting. I did get into the burner on that before to investigate. I’m surprised I need to at it again so soon 🤔

Liked by: sprinter

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #61
Quote by The Rambler

My next job is the Carver water heater not lighting.

Any other gas things giving trouble? They might be related Jason

Liked by: sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #62
Quote by mad max

Quote by The Rambler

My next job is the Carver water heater not lighting.

Any other gas things giving trouble? They might be related Jason

Nope just that John. I’m thinking coincidence?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.