Cruit Island Donegal

No Camping sign

Norweegin30
Subject:

Cruit Island Donegal

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #1
Made the 4 hour journey yesterday to have a night or two on Cruit Island only to find on arrival brand new "No overnight camping" signs at both ends of the usual camping site at the beach. Does anyone know what has brought this on and when they went up?? We were here less than a month ago and they weren't there. As they were so new we didn't stay but were very disappointed. Has been a favourite spot for a number of years!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Cruit Island Donegal

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #2
Seen your review and added it to the app, thanks for that.

General rule of thumb is ignore the signs, they ain't for us, we ain't camping. 😁

Liked by: roadrunner

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #3
As Ally says "ignore them" they are for people camping, nothing to do with someone parking for ten or twelve hours. It's the same as a sign that says no HGVs or no commercial vehicles. Nothing to do with us. :-)

Norweegin30
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #4
As it was a new sign I really didn't want to ignore it but if you all say its OK I'll maybe try it again.

Came over to Ballymanus carpark about 4 miles away and it's pretty good too but love Cruit!

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Norweegin30

Made the 4 hour journey yesterday to have a night or two on Cruit Island only to find on arrival brand new "No overnight camping" signs at both ends of the usual camping site at the beach. Does anyone know what has brought this on and when they went up?? We were here less than a month ago and they weren't there. As they were so new we didn't stay but were very disappointed. Has been a favourite spot for a number of years!

Treat those signs as for someone about to pitch their tent, you are in a motorvehicle and have just parked for a rest.
There has never been anyone prosecuted that i know of for stopping overnight under these signs.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #6
Quote by Norweegin30

I think if I made a 4 hour journey to somewhere, signs or no signs, I would be opening a bottle of French Red and enjoying it and staying the night. 😂

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #7
Removed from the App. There is a wider issue that I have been made known about.

It may make a return.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2019  ·  #8
That's a pity it's a lovely place

Norweegin30
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #9
To add to Ally's removal, we thought we'd take the chance and went back to set up for the night.....it was not pretty when "an owner" came by about 8pm and aggressively told us to leave!

But POI removed now and that should save anyone else the hassle of that encounter last night!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #10
Sorry to hear you had that experience. Just goes to show, we shouldn’t be so blasé about ignoring the no overnight camping signs. Some are legitimate

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #11
If you’re talking abut the large field overlooking the beach, that is private land. Stayed a few nights last year and there were several caravans parked up semi permanent without permission. I heard that when the owner came back from holiday he wasn’t best pleased and evicted them all.

Norweegin30
Subject:

Field on beach

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #12
Yeah it's the field right on the beach. We've been staying on it for a number of years but think the "owners" have recently got a sickener with dirty, rowdy campers.....they ruin great spots for everybody unfortunately!
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #13
Understandable when it's private property, if it was my field I wouldn't be too happy to find a load of undesirables had moved in. What's the chance of it becoming the Donegal Dick's Field ? Anyone up there care to have a word with him and give him some helpful information and maybe plant the idea in his head ?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Flipperdipper

Understandable when it's private property, if it was my field I wouldn't be too happy to find a load of undesirables had moved in. What's the chance of it becoming the Donegal Dick's Field ? Anyone up there care to have a word with him and give him some helpful information and maybe plant the idea in his head ?

There’s a bit more to it than most people know, and it will probably sort itself out. Can’t say more than that on a forum...... but it’s not a clean cut case.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2019  ·  #15
lyttlematthew
Subject:

Cruit Island Alternative

· 
Posted: 15.06.2020  ·  #16
Hello all,

I parked at the beach on Cruit Island with the perfect beach, and flat land.

Like the person who travelled 4 hours, I travelled a fair distance and a "No Camping " sign was not going to put me off staying as I this has been my 4th visit to that exact spot. I arrived around 9pm.

At 9am this morning a loud horn and a bang on the door, the lady shouted at me saying I ignored the signs and that I had 10 minutes to leave or she was calling the Gardai.

I left about 20 minutes later and nothing came of it.

This owner was not from Donegal and was very rude and angry. Donegal people generally aren't like that... If this lady was nice and explained herself I would understand, but when you are parked up with no fire, noise or rubbish, she was over reacting in my eyes.

ALTERNATIVELY, cross the bridge onto Cruit Island, 100 meters on the left is a little gravel road that goes onto the sand dune. Follow it towards the fence on the right, flat little spot with nice views and no angry owners.

Matthew

Liked by: Irishbee, roadrunner

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.