how to find

John4646
My Motorhome: Rimor
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

European motorhome sites

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #1
Hi All, I'm new to Motorhome Craic, and Motorhoming. Thanks in advance for any advice. I've just completed a trial run in the UK and it went well, so im hoping to go to France/Switzerland in the autumn. How do I find Motorhome sites to stay in ? Electricity and facilities would be important. Also, should I book in advance, or find them as I go along? I don't want to wild camp or stay in Aires.

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: European motorhome sites

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #2
Get some of the campsite books. All the Aires, even though you don’t want Aires, you might be caught out some night, ( they are brilliant, we use them the whole time) ACSI books great off season, there’s loads more. Enjoy, don’t be afraid of the Aires abroad, they are great

John4646
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #3
Thanks a million. I'll do that. Someone I know was "gassed" and robbed in an Aire in France last year, that's why Im nervous of them. John4646

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #4
2 best resourses for Aire information in Europe is apps called Campercontact, download it HERE and also Park4Night, download it HERE.
Will have lots of places and reviews. You need the paid versions, about a tenner for the two.
Enjoy the trip.

Quote by John4646

Thanks a million. I'll do that. Someone I know was "gassed" and robbed in an Aire in France last year, that's why Im nervous of them. John4646

An urban myth..... Just dont use the aires on the motorway network to overnight in, use village/town ones, we use aires extensively and most are as safe as a campsite. Take the usual precautions.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #5
Jeez. I’ve heard of that, but only on motorway Aires. We always use the French Aires site and go a few miles off the motorway, in or near villages, never had anything only friendly people approach us. Either that, or we see no one.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #6
As has already been said do not be afraid to use proper Aires, they are very well maintained and facilities are excellent.Only use the Motorway ones during the day.
As for this gassing thing it is a real conundrum,there are many views and some are that the occupants maybe were over enthusiastic with the Holliday (spirits) and thought that they were interfered with.
I have been quite a few times and have no hesitation using Aires.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #7
Have a look at searchforsites.co.uk they provide site information for sites, aires, wild camping etc all over Europe. I particularly like that people post reviews of each location. There is normally a link to a campsites own web page.

As regarding gassing, read this statement.

https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/news-an…r-vehicles

You are far more likely to have your van broken into when you park up and leave it for a time, similarly pickpocketing is more likely. However, general advice is to never overnight on motorway service stations. Head to a nearby village or Aire. Like most of life, you do what you can to reduce the risks and get on with enjoying life and especially motorhoming.
Google for security and safety tips for you and the van, or ask for specific help on here.

Davy

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2019  ·  #8
You will find in these gassing cases, nothing is taken but the theives will leave 3 or 4 empty wine bottles in the van, presumably they are too lazy to go to the local recycling point 😁😁

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #9
Quote by eirebus

You will find in these gassing cases, nothing is taken but the theives will leave 3 or 4 empty wine bottles in the van, presumably they are too lazy to go to the local recycling point 😁😁

Well in that case I am almost certain that I have been gassed in my own house. I feel so violated 😧

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #10
I have been to Switzerland loads of times. My favourite campsite is Manor Farm in Interlaken. Its right by the lake and easy walk into Interlaken. There are loads of things to do on the area.
There is a folk type museum close which is similar to the Ulster Folk museum. Local transport is good with a train in the centre. We have been robbed while sleeping. Dont believe we were gassed and no drink involved. It hasnt put us off but we take more precautions when parked. Check what you need for the motorways as we have to get a form that we sign and date each day we drive in the country. I think it is done this way when the van is over a certain weight

John4646
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #11
Thanks so much everybody, that's a really great help. Much Appreciated. John4646

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #12
Quote by TommyS

Check what you need for the motorways as we have to get a form that we sign and date each day we drive in the country. I think it is done this way when the van is over a certain weight

If you are above 3500kg plated weight then you need the PVSA permit which is required for every day the MH is in the country whether driven or not.

As well as the paper system there is now an APP available so you can book the permit and pay for it on line before you arrive. If you get challenged then the APP is your permit.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.