Buying Leisure Batteries online - RoI

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Buying Leisure Batteries online - RoI

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #1
HI all,

Looks like my 70Ah leisure battery is on its last legs. Does anyone know where I can buy decent batteries online in the Republic?

Is there a recommended seller that won't murder me with prices?

Thanks in advance ...

if I am asking in the wrong place can a mod please move me to the right place?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Buying Leisure Batteries online - RoI

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #2
I've used tayna.co.uk and I think others on here from ROI have also.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Ally

I've used tayna.co.uk and I think others on here from ROI have also.

I just asked them on their online chat. Delivery starts at £50...gulp!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #4
:o

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #5
Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #6
I got two off Tanya several months ago and delivery was nowhere that, can't remember what it was. Try ordering on line and see what the charge is when you get to checkout.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Flipperdipper

I got two off Tanya several months ago and delivery was nowhere that, can't remember what it was. Try ordering on line and see what the charge is when you get to checkout.

I just tried an 80Ah Yuasa one from Tanya and the delivery to RoI is £41... Total price is £121. That is a bit hot for my liking.

batteryworld.ie delivery is in the price .. I can get an Ampac 75Ah for €120 delivered. Hmmmm 110Ah delivered for €130... I need to measure the bay and see if that fits. Whats the view on Ampac batteries?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #8
I did a lot of musing on another thread recently

forum/topic.php?t=18921

I ended up getting the Halfords HLB700 for €113.40 with the AXA Plus Discount. They seem to be doing a 20% discount on car batteries right now with AXA Plus which would bring it down to €100ish if you're insured through dolmen/AXA.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #9
Quote by <BM>

forum/topic.php?t=18921

I ended up getting the Halfords HLB700 for €113.40 with the AXA Plus Discount. They seem to be doing a 20% discount on car batteries right now with AXA Plus which would bring it down to €100ish if you're insured through dolmen/AXA.

Very good. There is a Halfords 5 minutes drive from my work. I was just assuming that the Halford's own brand would be crappy, but maybe not? Are these rebadged Yuasas?

I don't have AXA so will need to pay €135 for that one (if it will fit in my bay). Seems a decent price.

There is another one there (HLB681, Class C) that is 115Ah. This is cheaper but seems to allow for only 90 cycles as opposed to the 200 in the Class B. Is that the only difference between these?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #10
Quote by Pablo

Quote by <BM>

forum/topic.php?t=18921

Very good. There is a Halfords 5 minutes drive from my work. I was just assuming that the Halford's own brand would be crappy, but maybe not? Are these rebadged Yuasas?

I don't have AXA so will need to pay €135 for that one (if it will fit in my bay). Seems a decent price.

There is another one there (HLB681, Class C) that is 115Ah. This is cheaper but seems to allow for only 90 cycles as opposed to the 200 in the Class B. Is that the only difference between these?

The class b is an enhanced flooded battery, it's state of the art as far as leisure batteries go.

The class c is a regular lead acid and really only suitable if you're always on hook up and it's buffering the power draw rather than being the main power source.

Avoid the class a also, it's AGM which makes it very sensitive to the charging regime, it works well in laboratory settings, not so much in real life.

Finally, check if any of your friends or family have an AXA Plus card, the current 20% discount makes that HLB700 a steal.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #11
Quote by Pablo

Quote by <BM>

forum/topic.php?t=18921

Halfords, and many others, only quote a number of cycles for their batteries, like the 90 and 200 above. Quoting a number of cycles without including the relevant D.O.D. (Depth of Discharge) figure is meaningless.

To have any meaning the specification must be quoted as XXX Cycles @ YY% D.O.C (Depth of Discharge)
See HERE for an example of how it should be done

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #12
Thanks guys, very useful info.

I am not a power user. I basically get out about 5 weekends each year in the caravan at festivals (Friday to Monday). Battery is fully charged when i leave home and I have been hooking up a 80W portable solar panel when on site. I have never run out with the 70Ah including watching a few hours TV.

Given this usage pattern will I be OK which of the Halfords is best for me?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #13
Quote by baguette

Quote by Pablo

Quote by <BM>

forum/topic.php?t=18921

Halfords, and many others, only quote a number of cycles for their batteries, like the 90 and 200 above. Quoting a number of cycles without including the relevant D.O.D. (Depth of Discharge) figure is meaningless.

To have any meaning the specification must be quoted as XXX Cycles @ YY% D.O.C (Depth of Discharge)
See HERE for an example of how it should be done

50% depth of discharge is the standard for lead acid cyclic testing to the best of my knowledge.

The only lead acid technology that claims a higher depth of discharge is ever viable without permanent damage is AGM and the latest thinking on AGM leisure batteries is that they're utterly unsuited to the charging setup in almost every motorhome.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #14
2 year warranty with Halfords batteries, I took mine back after a year, I felt they weren't performing to standard. The assistant checked with the multimeter and said it was within parameters. I objected and asked for the manager who explained that they cannot test leisure batteries and replaced both of them. He could not reissue the batteries to my receipt so got a new receipt with 2 years on the new ones lol

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2019  ·  #15
I ended up going with the Halfords HLB 700 for €135. Seems to be working quite well and Halfords took the old 70Ah battery. Sorted!

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2019  ·  #16
Hi guys,
In relation to Halfords I applied for a trade card which gives you 20% discount on a lot of their stock. I told the girl on check out I was a HGV driver and did my own maintenance, card issued on the spot.
I’m in England so don’t know if it’s available in the Emerald Isle but worth a punt

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Hi guys,
In relation to Halfords I applied for a trade card which gives you 20% discount on a lot of their stock. I told the girl on check out I was a HGV driver and did my own maintenance, card issued on the spot.
I’m in England so don’t know if it’s available in the Emerald Isle but worth a punt

It is.

I bought a tool chest bundle back in January and they offered me the trade card to avail of the additional discount. No vat number needed. Just give the usual details. :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.07.2019  ·  #18
Quote by <BM>

]

50% depth of discharge is the standard for lead acid cyclic testing to the best of my knowledge.

The only lead acid technology that claims a higher depth of discharge is ever viable without permanent damage is AGM and the latest thinking on AGM leisure batteries is that they're utterly unsuited to the charging setup in almost every motorhome.

50% D.O.D. may be an industry standard, but if it's not part of the published specifications a supplier/manufacturer can't be held to it.
As I said in an earlier post the three different Halfords batteries which only quote cycle life without including a D.O.D figure are pigs in pokes.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #19
Just bought 2 batteries from Alpha Batteries for £260 delivered. Delivery was only £20 from England. They are Expedition 105 AGM. The guy on the phone said that they had a 360 cycle. The last ones I had were Platinum and died in no time. I checked and they were Class C with a 70 cycle rate. Hope these last as the originals in the van lasted 9/10 years

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #20
Forgot to add, 5 year warranty

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #21
Don’t forget to reset your charger for AGM. Different charging voltages etc.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #22
Thanks David, would it be obvious how to set it

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #23
Did you have AGM batteries fitted previously Tommy

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #24
Quote by TommyS

Thanks David, would it be obvious how to set it

No

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #25
No the batteries were the normal lead acid type

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #26
I don’t know the exact settings for agm, or even if they all have the same settings. That’s if you can change the settings on your charger at all. I’m sure the information is available by the manufacturer of the batteries. See can you change the settings on your charger, I’m pretty sure I can’t on mine

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #27
Might be a row of small jumper switches on the side of the charger with a diagram to show the off/on sequence for each type of battery.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #28
Most motorhome chargers only support lead acid and gel batteries not AGM, I found this out the hard way by only getting 2 yrs 9 months out of a pair of AGM and charger set for Gel

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #29
They arrived today, haven’t had a chance to have a look at the charger. That was 1 day delivery from England

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #30
Quote by TommyS

They arrived today, haven’t had a chance to have a look at the charger. That was 1 day delivery from England

That was very good service.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.